Tennis Forum banner

Sabine's BFF on tour

13K views 70 replies 20 participants last post by  Ian Aberdon 
#1 ·
Recently Jarka (Jarmila Groth) wrote this for WTA blog.

http://www.wtatour.com/blog/20110105/jarmila-groths-brisbane-blog-wednesday_2257191_2258525
...A few days ago on Twitter I congratulated Sabine Lisicki on her first round win in Auckland. I really like Twitter. It's a lot of fun. You can write things that are just going through your brain and read other people's tweets, and fans can find out what you do during the day too. I ask my fans if they like my dresses, my website, and things about them too, like what their favorite movies are. My fans are always very helpful! I hope I can reach out to more of them with it.

You can also communicate with other players on Twitter. Sabine has always been one of my best friends on the WTA - I call her Sunshine because she's always smiling, and so she makes me smile. Some of my other friends on the tour are Zakopalova, Cirstea... Anyway, unfortunately Sabine lost today, in three sets to Yanina Wickmayer, which is too bad for her. I hope she can come back to where she belongs in the rankings. Wickmayer is very tough though.

Goodnight... and check out my Twitter at http://twitter.com/Jarka_Groth!

#3 ·
I support 'Jarka' too and started to follow her on twitter. She is Australian I have to support the Aussie players.. she's a good friend of Sabine's so this makes me more interested in her matches too.

#5 ·
Funny, I was thinking about this topic recently, so may as well add to this thread. I too was curious to know who Sabine regarded as her best friends on the Tour.

I would have imagined somebody as adorable as Sabine would be friends with most girls on the Tour!! But you never know!!

However, as well as Jarmila above, who else is she best friends with?

I believe Tamira Paszek is one, I've seen tweets between them.

From a couple of Youtube clips, possibly Sorana Cirstea? They seemed to be hanging about together at the pre-Wimbledon party.

Sabine has mentioned Marion Bartoli as a good friend, & their hug at the net after their Wimbledon clash would suggest so.

And, of course, presumably Sam.

Anyone else?

#6 ·
Sabine is also good friends with fellow Germans Julia Goerges and Andrea Petkovic due to the Fed Cup, but her BFF certainly seems to be Jarka. I am hoping they will play doubles together one day, although I guess Sabs has a good thing going with Sam right now. I've told Jarka a couple of times on twitter I'd like to see them play together and she replied once that she'd like to one day.

#7 ·
Sabine just might be one of those people who ALWAYS can make a friend, which is so great for the girls on tour.

#10 ·
Following on from the previous post, Andrea tweeted Sabine to wish her luck vs. Serena (alas to no avail :( )

But a characteristically nice move by Petko. After watching Sab's victory vs. Radwanska, I though she might do.

#11 ·
Yesterday, at a tourney somewhere near San Diego........

@Jarka_Tennis
Jarmila Gajdosova
Didn't get to see sunshine @sabinelisicki because she played too quick and too good :) congrats darling see you tomorrow!!:)

Better luck later today, Jarmila! :hug:

#15 ·
After Sab's victory speech in Texas, guess we can add Aravane Rezai to that list. Avarane confirms this in a YT clip from Oct 2010 that I've seen, when she namechecks Sabine as a BFF. (BTW sorry to read about Aravane's troubles - now I know why she was so emotional about her tough year...another crazy WTA dad!!)

Oh, & Big Red the horse! :lol:

#20 ·
Perhaps Geekking can confirm, but I'll add Ipek Senoglu to this list, judging by the Istanbul'a Giden Yol videos (which I love by the way - Ipek is really good & gorgeous herself!). Also Ipek & Sabine in Dallas (just the cutest thing ever!) & the photos of the two of them at an ITF event in Michigan I think it was, where they were icicle fighting as it was still the bleak midwinter!

#21 ·
Daniela Hantuchova, seeing as Sabs confirmed this in her Bali blog. And of course Daniela tried out blind serving with Sabs in Cincy!

Mind you, as Sabs herself mentioned she has "lots of friends" on Tour (no surprise as she's adorably popular everwhere!) I probably should add most of the rest of the names on the Tour!! :lol:

#22 ·
Geekking talking about Petko, Marion & Sam loving Sabine on the other thread puts me in mind of this thread again.

I assume that if you have lunch with someone, they are a friend. I mean, you wouldn't lunch with your enemy would you? :lol:

In that case, Sabs was having lunch with Yanina Wickmayer last year, during the Dallas tourney I think. Sabs had a pic up of it on her Facebook. Looked like they were happy in each other's company.

That pleases me, as I quite like Wicky! :D

#24 ·
Julia seems to be very fond of Sabine. Plenty pictures of the two of them together since the Auckland tourney, the vid of "who was the most German" (ay ay ay!! :lol: ) & of course the recent Fed Cup. Jule is a top girl!

#27 ·
Sabine and Jarka both tweet less often than they used to anyway. They may chat more often through private means, rather than want everyone to read their conversations. If so then sad for me that I miss out on witnessing their beautiful friendship, because they appear very close and I've encouraged them in the past to play doubles together. Jarka once replied to me that she would consider it, but then Sabine struck up a pretty good combo with Sam and Jarka is with Bethanie MS. Still as far as I know they are very sweet friends off the court! :kiss::hearts::angel:

#33 ·
Yeah I'm sure they were, I'm just very sensitive towards Sabine and Jarka :angel::kiss: and Jarka especially has copped some crap on twitter before so I think she's had a tough time. She's not been 'emo' over nothing.

#35 ·
Yeah I'm sure they were, I'm just very sensitive towards Sabine and Jarka :angel::kiss: and Jarka especially has copped some crap on twitter before so I think she's had a tough time. She's not been 'emo' over nothing.
;) means i wasn't serious.

but not 'emo' over nothing? have you read her AO press conference? :eek:

#34 ·
#38 ·
Well.. maybe they were friends..

..before Kerber killed her 2 times this year :devil:

but srs.thats just tennis. of course its competition but nobody can hate/dislike another player because she was better

being in one team doesn't implicate being friends. they compete against each other in team as well. and you know.. sabine was favourized in team and Kerber kind of underdog, she really wanted beat Sabine to be more important for team. and no matter what they say in post-match interview, because they wont say that they dislike opponent

#40 ·
Who tweeted congratulations when Angie won Paris? Julia, ALG, Petko and Tadde
Who didn't tweet congratulations? Sabine.

Now we know the rest of the story...:devil:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.