Tennis Forum banner

Aussie women to compete for wildcard

2K views 22 replies 13 participants last post by  The Kaz 
#1 ·
Aussie women to compete for wildcard

December 19, 2005

Nicole Pratt and Casey Dellacqua will compete against some of Australia's brightest tennis prospects for a main draw wildcard in the Mondial Australian Women's Hardcourts.

Pratt of Queensland and Dellacqua of Perth will receive first round byes for the play-off, which will be contested at Royal Pines Resort on Tuesday 27 and 28 of December.

They will be joined by Sophie Ferguson (NSW), Lauren Breadmore (VIC), Shayna McDowell (QLD) and Shannon Golds, who today defeated Natasha Kersten for the sixth position.

Tennis Australia’s recently appointed Director of Player Development Craig Tiley has made it a priority to provide Australian players with improved quantity and quality of competition at home.
This strategy is reflected in the wildcard play-offs which have been established for the Medibank Sydney International, Next Generation Adelaide International and Mondial Australian Women’s Hardcourts.

Tournament director Liz Smylie said the wildcard play-off was a great opportunity for an Australian player to be rewarded for their form and continue to adapt to the challenging weather conditions at the Gold Coast.

"Aside from the ranking points and prize money on offer at the Mondial Australian Women’s Hardcourts, the winner will compete against some of the best players from around the world," Smylie said.
"We’ve got four Queenslanders in the mix, with Australia’s No.3 player Nicole Pratt as top seed, promising 16-year-old Shayna McDowell being rewarded for her results during the year, and Gold Coast locals Shannon Golds and Natasha Kersten taking part in an elimination match for the final position.

"With the calibre of this play-off field we’re going to see some fantastic matches and whoever wins will have the chance to really kick-start their 2006 season," she said.

See less See more
#5 ·
Go sophie :bounce: :bounce: :bounce: :worship:

Reactions: gillibean
#7 ·
yay omg i wanna see sophie play next monday!!!
lets go sophie!!! :D
great win today :D

#11 ·
gillibean said:
Alicia_Rocks I so hope you get to see Soph next Monday!! How exciting! Great win today - hopefully many more to come especially a big one tomorrow!!!
lets hope so :D :worship: :bounce:

#14 ·
Go Pratty

#19 ·
Jorn said:
Any news out about who will get the last wildcard?

Can they give Pratt the wc now she lost...
i think that was the last wildcard!

i was hoping that we would find out that hingis got the gold exempt emirates status approved by the wta by now so she could have used the gold/silver exempt wildcard but i havent heard if they decided this yet so i think she was given 1 of the 2 ordinary wildcards :fiery: :rolleyes: so sophie got the only one remainign by winning today!

#21 ·
http://foxsports.news.com.au/story/0,8659,17684828-23216,00.html

Meanwhile, veteran Nicole Pratt has been granted a wildcard into the main draw despite losing a play-off to fellow Australian Sophie Ferguson yesterday. Tennis Australia has granted a reprieve to Pratt, giving her one of three wildcards alongside Hingis and Ferguson.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.