Tennis Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

*Vika Azarenka Cheering Thread* - Vikalume 5.

338K views 5K replies 115 participants last post by  Pova 
#1 ·
Go Vika!!:bounce:

#250 ·
You know what, this injury stuff is killing me and killing her. I think she needs to skip Miami at least and if she still carries the injury, Monterrey andMadrid (but i would like her to play Madrid for French Open Preparation) If she wants to stay healthy, she needs to take the right amount of time until the injury is gone, not a week after she gets a boot off.

#251 · (Edited)
Agreed. All the pressure from the media has led her to make unwise decisions in recent months...they won't give her credit for it anyways.
Pretty much. I am near certain this has come from her (fairly new) PR company. Mainly because it's started since they come on board and because after the match vs Li at YEC they were posting on twitter how Vika can't win. She doesn't want to retire, she wants to play and please the fans who've paid to watch.

I went on a tirade at them in response, and they were adamantly trying to defend the decision.

The facts are this is pointless. Nobody gives you credit for battling on and losing. You gain nothing. The fans often gain nothing. And ultimately it's not helping you achieve what you want to achieve.

Whoever has fed her this idea of keep playing needs to have a major re-think on what their entire role in her camp is, because they are not helping her. And from what Sumyk told her tonight it's almost certainly not him.

Well, it'll be over soon. I fear we'll be in for a similar horror show in Miami, I doubt a few more additional days will get her to a much better state.
This is my main fear about this. Is we will go through the exact same thing in 2 weeks. There is just no way she can have felt anywhere near fit going on to court tonight. If you aren't fit to play then don't. You just won 6 games against the world number 66. How can this in any way be beneficial.

The thing is too ultimately if there is any point of the season to take off, with the exception of maybe the end of the season it is now. No grand slams in sight. What you don't want is to keep playing through this, go into the summer, the same problem is still lingering and effectively don't give yourself a chance for the entire season.

Someone needs to be getting these messages across. The only saving grace is like I say Sumyk actually seems to be thinking along these lines judging from what he said tonight.

#256 ·
1) Is an impossible question without literally being her. I would guess she's trying to prove some kind of point. I mean Sumyk basically said as good as I think you should retire when he come on (remember he can't explicitly say that I don't think). It seems narrow and short sighted though.

2) She's always been injury prone. But I don't think it helps when you never really let the injuries heal. Part of the issue is the tennis calendar kind of lends itself to this. It doesn't really provide any opportune breaks of oh I'll have a month off and rest to get well (apart from the off season). There's sacrifices to this wherever you do it.

On the note of 2). Maybe I just haven't observed it before. But Vika was definitely drinking some kind of heavy shake during today's match. I would guess that's come from her new fitness team.

#253 ·
Josh Meiseles ‏@jmeistennis
Azarenka said in press that she first hurt her foot three days before AO. Diagnosed as nerve damage between toes on her left foot.

That is the first time we've heard anything on what the actual injury is.

Putting an actual time frame on when she should return is impossible. But it's quite obvious right now. If you aren't fit to play then don't. What are you actually achieving right now? What are the actual upsides? The upsides are literally she scrapes through a few matches. But in the scheme of things this doesn't achieve a lot. It doesn't get you healthy, it doesn't get you playing the kind of tennis you want to play, and it takes a lot out of you. You have to think long term, what's ahead of you. There will be plenty more chances to rack up the ranking points if that's really what worries you (but it shouldn't). The most important thing is you get healthy and feeling good on the court once again.

#269 ·
I guess playing through the AO makes sense since she had such a chance to win it. That's also a little bit encouraging since she was playing pretty well in Brisbane, so that's when she's healthy. Clearly playing Indian Wells was not smart, but I still think if she's going to play she may as well try to win.

#255 ·
Posted by OnlyTennis

Ben Rothenberg ‏@BenRothenberg
Vika proud of her effort. "I want to learn how to go through the tough thing, how to try to do the best in the toughest situation." #BNPPO14

Beyond The Baseline ‏@SI_BTBaseline
Azarenka on whether she's received medical assurances the foot injury can't get worse if she plays in pain. "I'm too stubborn for that."

We know you're stubborn :rolleyes:

But i will always love you, no matter what insane thought rolls through that states playing with an injury is alright

#257 ·
Posted by OnlyTennis

Ben Rothenberg ‏@BenRothenberg
Vika proud of her effort. "I want to learn how to go through the tough thing, how to try to do the best in the toughest situation." #BNPPO14

Beyond The Baseline ‏@SI_BTBaseline
Azarenka on whether she's received medical assurances the foot injury can't get worse if she plays in pain. "I'm too stubborn for that."
See this is the problem. This just isn't a good idea.

The first quote links in to she's trying to prove some kind of point. But really the only point she's proving is don't play when you aren't fit to play.

As I said I find it hard to believe she was anywhere near fit going on to court tonight. Sometimes you can kind of bluff yourself into feeling that it's better than it is. But the fact you come off court having won 6 games vs the world number 66 should be sending off flashing red warning lights that maybe this isn't the best idea.

This is also a stark change in attitude of someone who used to realise very quickly that if she wasn't fit to play then don't play. I don't like it, and I don't think this "stubbornness" is helping her career.

#270 ·
Completely agree.

#260 ·
Didn´t see the match. Isn´t nerve damage in your toes/foot often a result of a spine injury. This whole thing might still go back to Wimbledon. Comes back too early for USO hardcourt series. Stubbornly play out YEC match with back injury. Then play AO with nerve damage in her foot. Once again doesn´t let it heal properly to play IW. All that for almost nothing. She might just throw away her whole career. Just listen to your body, if it´s not too late already. :sad:

#261 ·
Ssrenka (Stubborn and silly). :smash:
Although she brought us such a fucking hurt match, I still respect her thought and waterbrained decision if she feel she really could learn somthing from that adversity. And what left are love and patiently waiting. Wish her a speedy and ENTIRELY recovery. :sobbing:

#265 ·
Did she request on-court coaching at some point during the match? Looks like it from the pictures.

#268 ·
Thank you, ozza. I think that's surprising considering she normally is one of those few players who never use on-court coaching. Gonna watch it now.

#274 ·
She should maybe go back to the boot.

#277 ·
Vika's big of enough star with Nike IMO that the could create custom shoes for her to negate the irritation with the nerve damage. Of course there is always in-sets that could be used to help.

I just don't understand why she would bother to play when she clearly can't. I know she's not the first nor will be the last player to do it, but it really boggles my mind. It just seems to be a lose-lose situation either way you go.

I didn't go through the thread, but I did see that the Aga fans are still pressed about the AO. Clearly, this means that Vika was truly injured in Melbourne and definitely negates Magician Agatha's Holier Than Thou Game play and victory.

#278 ·
I just don't understand why she would bother to play when she clearly can't. I know she's not the first nor will be the last player to do it, but it really boggles my mind. It just seems to be a lose-lose situation either way you go.
I think she decided to play IW because of her own charity thing 'Vika for the Cause' or whatever its called, it was played a few days before thats why i think she rushed herself back to play. Had it not been for that i think she would have skipped IW.

#279 ·
Hopefully, she pulls out of Miami and whatever she's slated to play afterwards until the pain is gone.
Quite frankly, the child needs to play a card out of Serena and Pova's play book. Take all the time you need before you come back.

#283 ·
I still think Monterrey may not be a bad idea, but she should skip Miami. She hinted that she will.

#289 ·
It's only not a bad idea if you are actually fit. Even if you are only out say 3 weeks, it might not be the worst thing to miss it. It then gives you 5 weeks to get ready for the next tournament. 8 weeks sounds a long time. But if you are using say 4 of that constructively getting ready for the next tournament it's not too bad.

#284 ·
She said some interesting stuff in the press conference (see the other thread). Most importantly:

Q. How worried are you about this injury going forward? Do you feel like you're going to recover fairly quickly, or do you have no idea how long it might take?
VICTORIA AZARENKA: I don't know. But I will take my time for sure to get rid of it.
Let's hope she means it.

Reactions: ozza
#286 ·
I'm just so uninterested in tennis lately. Not even Vika is making me pay attention, but that's probably just because I'm sick of all her injuries. I just wish she would listen to her body and rest her foot. What was the point of showing up to this tournament? Nothing. Even the Rainbow Peasant is starting to annoy me now.

She really needs to snap out of it, skip the entire clay season if you must but just get rid of these injuries.

#288 ·
I haven't really been paying too much attention because I'm preoccupied with school. I probably won't watch a proper match until the French at this rate.

#290 ·
Sam Sumyk on Vika in L'Équipe:
All we're doing is coping. Vika will have to have a MRI. But we can't say or do anything else before we know more. Tennis is movement above all else. But if you can't move on court, what can you do?

- There was a big down period after the US Open final. Losing two finals in New York, that hurt. Everyone said it was a great match. That's nice of them, but, in the end, you don't care. That's not the way you think. We lost, full stop.

(Did the loss make Azarenka's body more fragile?)

- There's obviously an interdependence. But making a direct connection, I don't know. What's certain is that confidence comes from results. And we don't have wins at the moment. Vika's like everyone else, she's going through a phase where she's not winning. But there's no reason to panic.

#291 ·
Hopefully the MRI is positive and the injury is treatable. Sam makes a lot of sense here. Vika's been very lucky to not have a huge injury thus far in her career and this just might be it. This might be her version of Pova's shoulder or Serena's knee. :shrug:

#292 ·
Sam is always so logical.

I really think it's something like what Nadull's foot was back in the day - she isn't treating her feet properly in general, which is why she's had injuries in the past and always seems to be a bit unhealthy. If they can get her proper foot care that should help her long term, but this current problem could also take a while to get rid of, or even be chronic.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.