Tennis Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

*Vika Azarenka Cheering Thread* - Vikalume 4.

327K views 5K replies 133 participants last post by  Pova 
#1 ·
Go Vika!!:bounce:

#2,084 ·
Here is a couple of news stories about the match.

Victoria Azarenka crashes out to Ekaterina Makarova after row with the umpire at Madrid Open

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/te...after-row-with-the-umpire-at-Madrid-Open.html
Azarena, who was coming back from a two-month lay-off forced by an ankle injury, had only just sneaked past Anastasia Pavlyuchenkova in the previous round with the help of two lengthy tie-breaks. After Wednesday’s 1-6, 6-2, 6-3 defeat, she attributed her poor form to ring-rust.

“I think it was really noticeable. I made mistakes that I don’t normally do, but that’s what comes after not playing for a long time,” said. “I still have another tournament before the French Open to compete in, and I’m going to go back on the practice court and work hard to improve.”
Victoria Azarenka loses to Ekaterina Makarova at Madrid Open
http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/tennis/news/20130508/madrid-open-victoria-azarenka.ap/
Azarenka said she felt confused by some refereeing decisions.
"I didn't understand what happened, what I did,'' she said. "I was very sure that I didn't have a code violation, that's why I broke my racket.''

Makarova rallied from 3-1 down in the third set, winning five straight games.
"We played many times before and I didn't win so much,'' Makarova said. "It was a really tough first set for me. When I came out, I wasn't playing as well as I wanted to. Then I got a little bit angry and it was really tough to change my game and my mentality.'' But she credits recent strong Fed Cup play on clay for helping her win. Makarova and Elena Vesnina won the decisive doubles match last month to lift Russia past Slovakia 3-2 and reach the Fed Cup final in November. "I think that gave me a little bit more confidence on clay,'' she said. "I really enjoy these clay courts because it's a little bit faster here. I just tried to move her around more in the second and third sets and it worked.''

The third-ranked Azarenka tried to explain the loss, while praising Makarova.
"I have to give Ekaterina credit, she played really well,'' Azarenka said. "I played more against myself, trying to prove to myself certain things, more than I was focusing on my opponent.''

Azarenka, who missed Indian Wells and the Miami Open in March because of the ankle injury, said she still felt rusty. She's looking forward to another clay tournament - Rome - before heading to Roland Garros.
"I have been making mistakes,'' she said. "But that's what comes after not playing for a long time. I still have another tournament before the French Open to compete in.''

#2,085 ·
At the end of the day Vika has to be better than that mentally. She shouldn't have let it completely overtake her thoughts. It's not like this was a decision at a point when the match had totally gotten away from her down a set and a break. It was on serve in the 3rd, the match was very much there for the taking, it was not like Makarova really did anything to win, Vika just completely gifted her the match.

At least this part sounds good :- “I still have another tournament before the French Open to compete in, and I’m going to go back on the practice court and work hard to improve.” :)

#2,086 ·
I was just about to say it is amazing she only lost to Serena (and ok Sharapova once) in a full year soon. In every sport this happens sooner or later. The ones on top take a bad loss.

Just hope she brushes this off and get back on track. Losing in finals/semi finals to top players once in a while, but always getting there is what i am most impressed with.

#2,092 ·
I think her comments about her playing against herself is spot on. She tried to prove that she can still be consistent and got frustrated then adding on the external environment. At least she realized it right away so I believe she will not let that happened again.

#2,097 ·
I think it is okay as long as it doesn't take her head out of the game and she basically self-destructs. I am not sure how it happened in this match since I couldn't watch it or didn't have the chance to watch some highlights but if she cannot go back to business after it then she needs to learn how to calm herself better.

#2,095 ·
Actually vika nowadays cannot handle 2 weeks in a row of tournaments except grand slams. Look at last year's madrid/rome, olympic/toronto, Tokyo/china, this year's Doha/Dubai ...sometimes I wonder if subconsciously she just forfeits one to save energy for the slams only.

#2,101 ·
I hope her losing control yesterday was just one-off. One of those situations where you don't think and simply react. Maybe a component of the rust.
Hopefully Sam and her had a talk with her after the match and she calmed down. He's been so good at helping her stay calm and find that balance.

#2,103 ·
I read Sam`s interview about her losing a few days ago. He said that she trained a lot and she was prepare for the tournament. It was totally mental losing. I read russian translation on the belarusian site. Can anyone help me find orignal text becaise i can`t do it.:(
Anyway I think it is better lose now then lose RG. I think she will be ok soon. She need to be emotional free before GS.

#2,108 ·
Dghyletta, теперь, когда появилось время, могу написать поподробнее
I translated this text. (If you're talking about it:http://vk.com/feed?w=wall-33614551_39778 )
I saw those words in my TL in English: "Sumyk on Vika in l'Equipe: It's her fault. She's not hurting and she was prepared. The problem is her head. It's nothing to do with hitting a forehand here or a backhand there. It was self-destruct. Ridiculous. Maybe it's for the best. We'll see."

I decided to check out. Here this newspaper.

I do not know the French language. I turned to my friend who knows French, and she confirmed that the text is correct.

#2,109 ·
The headline "Azarenka, la tête ailleurs" means something like "head elsewhere".

Honestly, it has been a little bit depressing to watch those Madrid Open matches since round 3. Hopefully we shall see a proper tournament in Rome. Qualifying for Internazionali BNL d'Italia begins on Saturday, and Vika's first match might be on Monday or Tuesday, I guess.
http://www.wtatennis.com/tournaments/tournamentId/643/title/internazionali-bnl-ditalia
http://www.internazionalibnlditalia.com/News/News-Landing.aspx

#2,112 ·
Whatever sam said, imo she is not prepared yet.
Her clay game is nonexistent.
No variety nothing.jusr her hard court game which gets ineffective on clay.
I hope sam works on her to insert some variety.
P.s. she is screwed if rio has clay court.

#2,114 ·
A little conversation about traffic in Rome:

victoria azarenka ‏@vika7
Rome is definitely one of the cities when u drive u want to put on two seat belts. Still love it

Anna Chakvetadze ‏@A_Chakvetadze
@vika7 look who is talking !!!! Like the way YOU drive is save ??? looooool )))

victoria azarenka ‏@vika7 8 h
@A_Chakvetadze me? Me? Me? I think someone forgot the way they drove the last time i visited u. Good eyes? :)

Anna Chakvetadze ‏@A_Chakvetadze
@vika7 Anyway i'm not that risky ?? And to drive this way in Moscow and in Palm Springs is two different things,girl ???

victoria azarenka ‏@vika7
@A_Chakvetadze ok ok. It's very clear we need to see each other and u will be surprised :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.