Tennis Forum banner

OFFICIAL retirements 2012

17K views 76 replies 39 participants last post by  asdas 
#1 · (Edited)
As with other years, this thread will keep track of the players that OFFICIALLY announce their retirement in 2012.

Your help in updating this thread would be greatly appreciated;)!

1. Asha Rolle (USA)

2. Sophie Ferguson (AUS)

3. Ryoko Fuda (JPN)

4. Meghann Shaughnessy (USA)

5. Selima Sfar (TUN)

6. Lilia Osterloh (USA)

7. Laura Granville (USA)

8. Mashona Washington (USA)

9. Karen Castiblanco (COL)

10. Kim Clijsters (BEL)

11. Gisela Dulko (ARG)

12. Aiko Nakamura (JPN)

13. Vivian Segnini (BRA)

See less See more
#2 ·
They probably belong in the 2011 thread but someone on the challenger sub-forum said Zuzana Kucova has retired.

Likewise, I'm fairly certain Tatiana Poutchek has retired. The only tournament she's played since the US Open was a 25k ITF in Argentina, only because she was helping out Darya Kustova who I've heard she's coaching now.

I suppose the writing was on the wall - Zuzana was absent from the Lagos 25k events while Tatiana didn't play Tashkent and you know something's wrong when they're missing from those events. :p

#4 ·
#6 ·
Maybe Georgatou :sobbing:

#10 ·
Missed this last yrs thread
1 of my favs rtd 6 months ago :hug:
Zuzana Linhova gone to Uni :hearts:

#15 · (Edited)
i guess selima sfar retired, too?! played her last singles match about 12 month ago and her last doubles match was in luxembourg last october and it seems she works for al jazeera now

http://www.youtube.com/user/selimasfar/videos

so i guess she finally called it a career. but haven't heard it from an official source. maybe we have to wait a little longer....

#16 ·
and lilia osterloh and mashona washington don't seem to be playing anymore either :( lilia hasn't been on any entry lists for ages, but played WTT last year, and mashona hasn't entered any tournaments since november and didn't defend her 25k doubles titles in january from last year. someone in her thread said she tweets a lot about studying and getting back to work and that she has a business in real estate, so i guess she's looking for other options now.....
but again, nothing official....i guess it's the same as with meilen tu e.g. they quietely stop playing and do something else without ever officially retiring...

#20 ·
Mashona is still playing, just not right now. I don't know. One of my friends at school (I work at the tennis center) is from Houston and trains with Mashona. They'll be playing some doubles once she finishes school in June.

#18 ·
Elena Bovina??

#21 · (Edited)
ahsha rolle retired :sad:

she posted the following via facebook:

"Dear family, friends, and fans, I would like to thank you for all your love and support throughout my tennis career. Unfortunately, some injuries have taken me out of the game. However, I will still be active in the sport by coaching. If anyone is interested any lessons, events, or a traveling coach let me know. Love you all, Ahsha"

http://www.tennisforum.com/showthread.php?t=454457

#22 ·
#25 ·
Mashona's wikipedia says she retired.

#38 ·
Could be the USTA and the media are putting too much pressure on the coming black "hopes". They need to stop rushing these players along before they are ready to reach the WTA level of competition. If not, then Sloane Stevens, Madison Keys and Taylor Townsend will be the next victims.

#27 ·
don't forget perry :sad:

and lexy won't be playing for the next ten years either.....

#28 ·
Ryoko Fuda has announced her retirement. :sad: :hug:

She was a promising junior once but has struggled with injuries for the last couple of years and never got to fulfill her potential. She's now heading to university. :hug:

http://www.40love.jp/fuda_r/archive/655

#33 · (Edited)
here's now an article about selima sfar where she officially says she retired :sad: we didn't add her last year cause she didn't annouce her retirement officially...

http://gulfnews.com/sport/tennis/sfar-pushes-to-promote-women-s-tennis-in-region-1.986210

Fond memories

One of Sfar's fondest memories of her playing days was right here during the inaugural edition of this tournament, when she beat Silvija Talaja and Barbara Schett before going down in three sets to Nathalie Tauziat in front of an adoring crowd on centre court in 2001.

Since taking a step back from tennis, she has been doing a lot of commentating with Qatar-based Al Jazira TV. "But I still make time for practice as I want to keep fit so that I can join the Legends Tour possibly from next season," she said.

wish you all the best for your future selima!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.