Entry List

7K views 59 replies 36 participants last post by  Wiggly 
#1 ·
Does anyone know who's playing here?

#8 ·
why do the WTAtour allow this tourny?
honestly intrested, not bashing it.
just a funny tourny.
i understand it's an historical place... but can't it be "tierV" (none anymore) 110K or at least 100K?

#9 ·
intresting tourny rules.
sounds like a pecial tourny!

#10 ·
Shonami Slam said:
just a funny tourny.
i understand it's an historical place... but can't it be "tierV" (none anymore) 110K or at least 100K?
It only has a 16 player draw, no singles qualifying, doubles, or doubles qualifying like the average tournament. This way having a prize money of 75k is likely equal to an 110k Tier V.

Auckland (Tier IV - 140k)
1st Rd S. Qualifying - 175 x 16 = 2,800
2nd Rd S. Qualifying - 300 x 8 = 2,400
3rd Rd S. Qualifying - 550 x 4 = 2,200

= 7,400

1st Rd D. Main Draw - 550 x 8 = 4,400
QF Rd D. Main Draw - 1,000 x 4 = 4,000
SF Rd D. Main Draw - 1,850 x 2 = 3,700
FINALIST D. Main Draw - 3,475 x 1 = 3,475
WINNER D. Main Draw - 6,500 x 1 = 6,500

= 21,775

1st Rd. S. Main Draw - 1,000 x 16 = 16,000

7,400 + 16,000 + 21,775

= 45, 175

140 - 45,175 = 94,825

Also, take into account those losing first round will obviously get less than having lost in the round of 16 in a Tier IV. Overall, it's pretty fair.

Reactions: Shonami Slam
#11 ·
wow - thanks for the money explanation :)
but (omg, i'm so sorry for this) i'm just curious how does it fit in the tour and what exactly is it with the tourny...

#13 ·
Shonami Slam said:
just a funny tourny.

So the players that barely made it on the US Open entry list, or the players who are in slumps can actually have a chance at hard court practice. Most of the players that play here probably wouldn't qualify for the US Open Series events. Sorta like Cincy and Stolkholm, except it is a Tier V ;)

#14 ·
Shonami Slam said:
It actually took too long for WTA to realize that with no other tournament around that week New Haven qualies looked stronger than most of Tier IV/V...completely ridicolous

#15 ·
I'm a little disappointed with this tournament. Last year the director said that this year they would have 32 players, qualifying draw, and doubles. He lied :(

#17 ·
VeeDaQueen said:
So the players that barely made it on the US Open entry list, or the players who are in slumps can actually have a chance at hard court practice. Most of the players that play here probably wouldn't qualify for the US Open Series events. Sorta like Cincy and Stolkholm, except it is a Tier V ;)
wait.
i'm a bit slow - sorry
"so the players that barely made it on the US open entry list" meaning MD or qualifications?
"have a chance at hard court practice" - wasn't it supposed to be grass?
"most of the players that play here probably wouldn't qualify for the US Open Series events" so why promote a BAD tourny?
"sorta like Cincy and Stolkholm" - so why not really upgrade it to TierIV status?
It's so bizarre with the 16 draw, no qualies and such.
but I'm eager to get updated with this tourny - it seems special for me.

#18 ·
spiceboy said:
It actually took too long for WTA to realize that with no other tournament around that week New Haven qualies looked stronger than most of Tier IV/V...completely ridicolous
and what's bad with strong quallies? :confused:
I love the way the european indoor circuit requires top40 players to battle it out in the the quallies and top20 players meating in first round - it's great!
why weaken the field, and why weaken it in a way that only 16 players go for a tourny that isn't worth many points.

#19 ·
oh - and thanks for the answers !
this really was a puzzle for me.
now i understand why it could be called TierIV and not 75K ITF...
and i know better who and why players go there in the first place :)
i hope it wil be a great tourny!

#20 ·
Forest Hills is like the "Tier IVs", Hobart and Canberra who's prize money is 110k, but it lacks the doubles, singles qualifying and a full round of play.

As well, Forest Hills as a venue does not have the seating capacity to have more than one hardcourt, hence they hold challengers. And the WTA will make more money if there are more tournaments, because this way the tournament fees will be paid to the WTA. And having a strong New Haven qualifying does not mean more money ;).

#23 ·
brunof said:
I thought this tournament was hacked. Perhaps Anna Kournikova should come out of retirement...and get herself a title here! ;) :lol: :tape: :tape:
I dont think she can win a title even here right now..Smashnova will be enoigh for her..

#24 ·
Mightymirza said:
I dont think she can win a title even here right now..Smashnova will be enoigh for her..
only if they meet in the final :haha:

#25 ·
Dally Randriantefy
Iveta Benesova
Roberta Vinci
Anna Smashanova
Lucie Safarova
Meghann Shaughnessy
Shahar Peer
Kristina Brandi
Antonella Serra Zanetti
Sania Mirza
Mariana Diaz-Olivia
Akiko Morigami
Maria Elena Camerin
Marticha Sucha
Zuzna Ondraskova
WC

But in section preference, all player put a "2" :rolleyes:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.