Tennis Forum banner

News confirmed: No tennis on Eurosport in 2013 outside the slams

239K views 2K replies 288 participants last post by  leftyness 
#1 · (Edited)
There have been many rumours whether ES is going to broadcast tennis live next year outside the Slams. They will not continue so. Some fellow German posters and me contacted ES and they confirmed the sad news. The reason seems to be the WTA tour's new strategy to promote tennis rights decentrally as we have seen by some of the deals that have been made the last couple of weeks.

For Germany this is very likely to be the end of live tennis coverage on TV. Maybe Stuttgart is going to be broadcasted by another channel but I cannot imagine any other channel to buy the rights for all premier events to be honest. It seems to be a bit better in other countries as we have seen by the deals that have been made already.

For me personally, I will REALLY miss the English Eurosport commentators. They have accompanied me for years (actually more than a decade!) whenever I wanted to watch tennis, and I always preferred the Eurosport commentators over others. The fact to probably not hear them again in the same constellation is the saddest fact about the loss of TV rights. :sad:

EDIT

That's the mail a fellow poster and me both receieved

Quote from Eurosport Media GmbH

Quote:
Dear Mr xxx,
the way you have read and interpreted (the news) are correct. Eurosport will not broadcast the WTA Tour from 2013 onwards, because the contract with the WTA for a paneuropean broadcasting has not been extended. Tennis still remains an important sport in our programme. We will again broadcast three of the four Grand Slams (Australian, French and US Open) live and partly exclusive. Furthermore, we will show some selected ATP tournaments and perhaps one or another smaller WTA event. We are still negotating new rights packages, but cannot comment any further on the current situation yet.

Until the end of October we will still be live and exclusive on air on the way to and during the WTA Championchips.

Best,

xxxxx
Press & PR Manager
Eurosport Media GmbH
Original see below
Quote:
Zitat von Eurosport Media GmbH
Lieber Herr *******,

Es ist richtig, was Sie gelesen und daraus geschlossen haben. Eurosport wird ab 2013 die WTA Tour nicht mehr übertragen, da der Vertrag mit der WTA für eine paneuropäische Übertragung nicht verlängert wurde. Tennis bleibt trotzdem ein wichtiger Sport in unserem Programmangebot. Wir werden im kommenden Jahr mit den Australian, French und US Open wieder drei der vier Grand Slams live und teilweise exklusiv übertragen. Hinzu kommen ausgewählte Turniere der ATP Tour und vielleicht das eine oder andere kleinere WTA Turnier. Wir verhandeln über neue Rechtepakete, können über den aktuellen Stand an dieser Stelle aber noch nichts sagen.

Bis Ende Oktober sind wir aber auf dem Weg und während der WTA Tour Championships live und exklusiv dabei.

Liebe Grüße,

Press & PR Manager
Eurosport Media GmbH

See less See more
#652 ·
Just seen this actually. Sorry if AP.

It is thought that initial comms work will focus on the build-up and launch of the two channels – set to go live next summer – as well as promoting the channels for a further six months.
Source:http://www.prweek.com/uk/news/1160784/bt-vision-kicks-off-bid-attract-sports-fans-agency-hunt/

No fucking way. :tape:
I suppose we don't even know if it is indeed BT Vision but it seems very likely at this stage. :eek:
No Tennis until next summer is just unacceptable. I don't know how the tour could mess up this badly.

The best we can hope for is Sky having snapped these but aren't showing anything until post AO. Although Sky wouldn't pay for something and not show it, BT Vision would. They just snapped up all these sports deals hoping to build their profile.

I have a feeling tennistv will be very happy with subscription numbers for 2013.

#653 ·
Just seen this actually. Sorry if AP.

Source:http://www.prweek.com/uk/news/1160784/bt-vision-kicks-off-bid-attract-sports-fans-agency-hunt/

No fucking way. :tape:
I suppose we don't even know if it is indeed BT Vision but it seems very likely at this stage. :eek:
No Tennis until next summer is just unacceptable. I don't know how the tour could mess up this badly.

The best we can hope for is Sky having snapped these but aren't showing anything until post AO. Although Sky wouldn't pay for something and not show it, BT Vision would. They just snapped up all these sports deals hoping to build their profile.

I have a feeling tennistv will be very happy with subscription numbers for 2013.
It really is commercial suicide if they have sold to BT Vision and they have no plans to show anything until the summer. This is without even taking into account that BT Vision is not that accesible, and currently has next to no subscribers, you really have to wonder what WTA is thinking (short term $ most likely).

#654 ·
This is a hot mess. :spit:

Getting all those celebs for their ads and having the girls do all that promo for the tour, yet the can't even get their TV deals sorted out. :facepalm:

#659 ·
I expect they are just reshowing the US final for the bank holiday crowd.

Clearly someone must be showing WTA Brisbane - ESPN seem to have the ATP event. Its only 2 weeks away - and still no news?!

If BT vision has got the WTA premier rights then its worth noting it has a deal with Eurosport to show the Slams on their platform - so its quite possible if BT don’t have their own dedicated channel yet they could allow Eurosport to broadcast the WTA rights for other events until the summer. Seems a fair trade - as its the slams that get the ratings!

Maybe I will just have to sign up to ESPN - which of course won't show any weekend tennis live if it clashes with the footie?!

#658 ·
i give up
its gonna have to be bet365 but streams are really not even 1% as good.

#664 ·
UK Eurosport have got multiple showings of the 2012 AO, FO & USO men's finals in the weeks leading up to the AO. They've also got the "World Tennis Challenge" http://worldtennischallenge.com/ exo from Adelaide, the Hopman Cup, ATP Doha and coverage of the women's final from Sydney (not live though, not even close, more than 24 hours after, on Saturday January 12th @1:30pm).

I'm resigning myself to signing up to tennistv.com.:tennis:

#666 ·
OMFG seriously? What is this MCS bullshit for countries like Belgium, France etc? It doesn't even have a proper website. I can't even find if it's available as a subscription channel on tv.

We should be HURLING the insults towards the WTA for screwing us over this way. Fuck them, seriously. Everyone on twitter should start cyber-bullying the WTA Twitter acount.

#669 ·
Taken from twitter :- Rob Smith Surtees ‏@RSSurtees1805
@philwrig @TheBoiledEgg I contacted Perform's head of PR and Marketing yesterday. The latest is that they are still in negotiations.

If true what an absolute mess. Still in negotiations 2 weeks before the season. Incompetence wouldn't quite cover it. Part of me also thinks they're wanting too much money if this is the case, because I don't believe there would just be no buyer.

#677 ·
WTA Tour

Ook voor het beste damestennis zit je goed bij Sport1. Vanaf januari 2013 zendt Sport1 de WTA Tour uit. Dit houdt in dat de 22 belangrijkste dames tennistoernooien live en exclusief op Sport1 te zien zijn Daarnaast zal Sport1 ook wekelijks het WTA tennismagazine uitzenden. Bij Sport1 kun je niet alleen uitgebreid de prestaties van sterren als Maria Sharapova en Venus Willams volgen, maar ook de opkomst van de Nederlandse Kiki Bertens en Aranxta Rus.
All they mention is that they show the 22 most important WTA tournaments. :)

#678 ·
#679 ·
got a message from a BT Vision guy on twitter

"Think we should try to get it ?"

Does this mean they dont ?
Then who the hell does - seems like no one if its still available.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.