Tennis Forum banner

The Sofa: for off topic chat.

25K views 196 replies 19 participants last post by  Mr.Sparkle 
#1 ·
Well, Laura's injured and is out for at least the next week. Since I like you guys and there's going to be precious little Laura related discussion until she's back, or more information about her injury comes out I'm making this thread so we can talk about other things. Or ignore it and pretend I never posted it, whichever you'd prefer really.

#51 ·
Yeah saw that, somehow hoping that isn't the line she'll wear though I expect it will be. Also hoping it looks better on a tennis player than the model? The top is just like......? I didn't mind the US open stuff this year though I know a lot of others slated it, at least it fitted her. This does nothing for her, and I haven't even got to the skirt...

Interesting Aussie colours as well xD

#63 · (Edited)
"I don't want a lot for Christmas
There is just one thing I need
I don't care about the presents
Underneith the Chrismas tree

I just want you on my screen
More than you could ever glean
Make my wish come true
All I want for Christmas is you"

A Christmas song about Play Suspended's thoughts during the offseason :p

#67 · (Edited)
I'd prefer to be called Ali, but sure. Have any objection to me calling you Jess, on account of all of your previous names being silly? The short answer is it means nothing important. The long answer is that on another forum my name is Remix. At the time I signed up here my name on that forum was Kotre Ibushimix which is a reference to a Japanese professional wrestler called Kota Ibushi who I'm a fan of.

Aren't you glad you asked?

:worship: Very true. Mind you think I'm stressing about next season already and it hasn't even started...

Paton? Thought Kotre's name was Ali?
You're both right. Paton's my surname, Ali(stair) is my forename. I'm assuming that you've got both too, Alex :p. My twitter handle is @PatonDrugs (which Royals/@LethalLeftie/Jess has). I picked that name because a pharmacy degree is basically a degree about drugs, and there used to be a bookshop in my home town called Paton Books. It wasn't owned by a family member (although it was founded/opened by a Great Aunt (I think), and my Dad lived above it for a time), but the new owners kept the name. I do so love making reference to things nobody but me will understand :lol:

Yeah, It's sounds so much cooler. :lol:

Let's stop. Don't want to say his full name on here. Without his permission. :lol:
Consider it given, Princess Thunderfeet. Also, it's just a name, which isn't something I really care to keep secret.

#71 ·
Alex, you don't have to brag. I know you're not as innocent as your old university would suggest. I'll just say that it's a good job the ivory tower doesn't have metal detectors...

Also, off the top of my head something like 50% of students take drugs while they're at uni, the vast majority of whom (IIRC ~75%) would be smoking pot. It isn't surprising that an eternal student doing stressful degrees knows a dealer or seven.

#82 ·
Well done Tom Daley. BTW, if David Williams can be straight, then any camp man can be straight, lol. I also believe he is bi if he says he is. Some people seem to transition from straight to bi to gay, then some don't. It's up to him and how he feels, no one should force a label on him, because in the grand scheme of things, it shouldn't really matter anyway.

#88 ·
I am new to this forum, although I've been following Laura since she was 14 (and tennis in general for over 30 years!)

I've also been following this forum for over a year now, so time to join the fray...

Anyway, I thought I'd start another topic of conversation regarding Laura and Genie Bouchard; especially since it was announced recently that Laura was using Nick Saviano, the head coach for Genie. Laura and Genie must both have been in Florida at the same training camp for some weeks now, although when they do get together it doesn't usually take long before Laura Tweets a photo of them both out together, all smiles. Not so this time, as all the photos seem to be about Laura and Jamie Hampton. Is the friendship with Genie cooling, or am I reading too much into this?

Thoughts?

Paul.

#89 ·
Welcome to the forum.

I believe this topic has come up in Genie's forum as well, is that right Royals? Who know's if anything's happened? Yes on the face of it it seems a bit odd that they're training at the same place and there hasn't been a single pic of them together. Genie's recent pics have all been of her training or doing sponsor stuff whilst clearly Laura's been hanging out with Jamie, Madison and Anja. Whether the coaching situation prompted this or something else did we can only guess.

Or the other option is that everything's completely fine and just don't happen to have done anything together worth tweeting/instagraming...

I hope it's the later, don't want friendship problems getting in the way of tennis right now.

#90 ·
Yeah... someone mentioned they thought Genie came across quite cold in an interview about the whole coaching situation.

Laura should have known this would be a problem, Saviano and Genie's coaching relationship was confirmed before the off season. She should have steered clear away from it all. I just hope it's not a massive falling out and they both can put it past them.

Thinking about it now, they are both in Florida and not even one picture together? There's been a war of words. It's clear. :lol:

#92 ·
Yeah... someone mentioned they thought Genie came across quite cold in an interview about the whole coaching situation.

Laura should have known this would be a problem, Saviano and Genie's coaching relationship was confirmed before the off season. She should have steered clear away from it all. I just hope it's not a massive falling out and they both can put it past them.

Thinking about it now, they are both in Florida and not even one picture together? There's been a war of words. It's clear. :lol:
I've already responded to this nonsense on Eugénie's 'Cheering Thread Vol. 2' (See posts #118 & #127, and also the very sensible replies by Vincey - #120 and Guichard - #122). For some reason the discussion has now spilled over onto her 'Picture Thread' as well! Everyone seems obsessed at the moment with the Laura-Génie dynamic. As Royals pointed out during that discussion, there is nothing in Génie's intonation during the radio interview to suggest she is irritated with Laura or anyone else: the idea exists purely in the imaginings of Katja and Genie_Fan. You only have to look at Laura and Génie's recent posts on social media to see that they are both in good humour and enjoying their time at Saviano's academy. :)

#97 ·
Who knows? Wouldn't be the first time a 19 year old said something in a fit of emotion that has consequences. Yes we'll watch the twitter for a sign. Like waiting for white smoke to come from the chimney in Rome.

#96 · (Edited)
Thanks guys for the replies - I didn't expect to spark any real controversy, it was a simple observation.

I agree with one reply, in that if there is an issue then Laura doesn't seem at all bothered. In fact, she appears very bubbly and looking very relaxed and fit (the new lean Laura?).

I hope she goes next year injury free, in which case I have high hopes. I think the right wrist injury before the US Open this year really knocked her for six and unsettled her season after a reasonably successful Wimbledon.

QUICK UPDATE: Just looked at Saviano's web site under 'SHPT News' and on November 29th there is a post with the group picture (same one that Laura put on her Facebook recently) with Laura, coach Nick Saviano (left) and Traveling Coach Jesse Witten (2nd right). So, Saviano is obviously keen to promote their coaching relationship.

Paul.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.