Tennis Forum banner

SemiPova returns to flop in Doha. GSM Serena 6-3 6-2.

51K views 978 replies 76 participants last post by  Trih 
#1 · (Edited)

Seeds:

[1] Victoria Azarenka
[2] Serena Williams
[3] Maria Sharapova
[4] Agnieszka Radwanska
[5] Angelique Kerber
[6] Sara Errani
[/] Li Na ankle injury
[7] Petra Kvitova
[8] Sam Stosur
[9] Marion Bartoli
[10] Caroline Wozniacki
[11] Nadia Petrova
[12] Ana Ivanovic
[13] Maria Kirilenko
[14] Dominika Cibulkova calf injury
[15] Roberta Vinci
[16] Sloane Stephens
[17] Lucie Safarova

Looming:
Jelena Jankovic
Venus Williams back injury

MIA:
Julia Goerges
Li Na
Dominika Cibulkova

See less See more
#809 ·
Re: GOATpova returns to stay undefeated in Doha. SF v #1 Serena

Despite the score isn't "double bagel/breadstick like", I don't feel it any closer than usual honestly. I have a NID feeling since the first break.

#822 ·

I haven't watched a single match of this tournament. Not sure what to do with this one. :lol:

DSANDERS I LAUGH EVERYTIME I SEE THAT GOLOVIN QUOTE :hysteric:
She said that? I love her.

#833 ·

Meh. That was as predictable as the sun rising in the morning. No reason to get overly emotional about the latest Serena loss. Yes, Serena wasn’t in GOAT mode today, but Maria played like she has all year, which is mediocre. Same problems once again. Unreliable serve with worst timed DFs, subpar returning, bad errors, very poor defense. Basically the same storyline we’ve been seeing for years when she loses to Serena or Vika or Li Na or Kvitova. This is who Maria is and there’s going to be more semifinal and final beatings to come because her game never changes. There is no Big 3 in women’s tennis. There’s a Big 2 because the gap between Maria compared to Serena and Vika is getting more massive.

If you want to be positive, Maria got 2 actual break points today. Maybe in her next match, she can get that break. Then in the match after that maybe she can win 4 games in set. Baby steps.

So SemiPova 2013 edition is in full effect now. Catch the fever.

#834 ·

As I said in the livescoring thread, I honestly think Princessrenka has a good shot of beating Serena tomorrow with Serena playing so averagely. Maybe her mortal enemy getting something she doesn't will finally give Maria a kick up the ass and fire her up when she plays Serena rather than this resignation in her last 5 matches :rolleyes:

#840 ·

As I said in the livescoring thread, I honestly think Princessrenka has a good shot of beating Serena tomorrow with Serena playing so averagely. Maybe her mortal enemy getting something she doesn't will finally give Maria a kick up the ass and fire her up when she plays Serena rather than this resignation in her last 5 matches :rolleyes:
I agree with the part of Azarenka having a very good chance at beating Serena tomorrow. But I would still hate to see her do it before Maria (although let's face it, that would probably require Vika never beating her :lol:). But I'm not sure it would benefit Maria. I mean, how much more needs to happen for her to finally get a push, sort her brains out and make a break, or God forbid a set off Rena? She lost 11 straight matches to her for Christ's sake :sobbing: One of them being 6:0 6:1 beatdown while representing her country in the finals of the Olympic games :hysteric:

#836 ·

Predictable score.

I just hope this year is good for Maria. She needs to improve though. I hope she'll just keep playing and playing and eventually find a form like she did at the end of 2007 leading into AO2008.

#837 ·

Expected. I wish she would just learn to take her chances against Serena.

#839 ·

Expected. I wish she would just learn to take her chances against Serena.
Agreed. Everytime she plays a good rally and gets a chance to hit a winner she hesitates too much and completely fucks it up. And most of the time it's like Maria is just trying to keep the ball in play - constantly giving the ball back to Serena. Serena rarely has to run against Sharapova cause Maria just hits the ball right back at her and then Serena finds an angle to hit a winner.

#842 ·
Serena didn't play that good, and Maria just played like shit and screwed up everything, her serve, her errors going to the net every time. I can't take anything positive from this performance from Maria. And if she just continues to play like this against Serena in the future, I seriously believe Maria's never gonna beat Serena again. NEVER. And I'm a quite optimistic fan, even before this match, I believe Maria could somehow beat Serena today, but look what she did to my belief :sobbing:

#843 ·

Be sore and pessimist as you want, but compare this 63 62 to a 62 62 from Na and think about it.
I'm not happy of course, but I can live with this loss, I'm not disappointed as I was after Melbourne.
Serena played near her best, she was much calmer than yesterday and she proved it by not letting Maria break her, despite some very bad lapses from Maria.
I just think about these tweets by Barbara Rossi (she's the ES commentator for tennis and she's been Pennetta's coach)
https://twitter.com/redsbi/status/302840891968733184
https://twitter.com/redsbi/status/302839038665175040
where she says "she's not even playing bad" :shrug:

I think Vika has a better shot at beating Serena because she's more solid, more defensive and consistent than Maria or Petra right now... nonetheless I'll be rooting for Serena tomorrow. :angel:

#845 ·

I expected the result before the match but when i saw her play at first I actually got excited and thought there's hope :lol: But I'm disappointed with Maria today because Serena wasn't that good and I really thought Maria was playing well for the most part.I don't think the score reflects well how the match went it actually was really close most of the time. And I'm happy with the way she returned this time it was way better than the YEC match but she fucked up two times when serving and she lost those serving games because of DFs and mistakes. If she's to win against Serena she needs to stop thinking about the H2H it's ALWAYS on her mind and you can see it when they play. Basically she might have won and I'm sure it'd have gone to a third setter if it wasn't for her mind fucks when it comes to Serena :spit:

#850 ·

I expected the result before the match but when i saw her play at first I actually got excited and thought there's hope :lol: But I'm disappointed with Maria today because Serena wasn't that good and I really thought Maria was playing well for the most part.I don't think the score reflects well how the match went it actually was really close most of the time. And I'm happy with the way she returned this time it was way better than the YEC match but she fucked up two times when serving and she lost those serving games because of DFs and mistakes. If she's to win against Serena she needs to stop thinking about the H2H it's ALWAYS on her mind and you can see it when they play. Basically she might have won and I'm sure it'd have gone to a third setter if it wasn't for her mind fucks when it comes to Serena :spit:
Completely agree with everything you wrote, bar the final part, because it's hypothetical. Her mind will always be there to fuck it up. What is beyond me is why can't she say to herself "I have nothing to lose". I mean, this wasn't even a big tourney, it was Doha for crying out loud, and she lost 11 straight times to Serena. Maybe you're not gonna win, but swing freely, scream like crazy, fight, do anything other than shrug your shoulders and accept the defeat while you're in the locker room :eek:

#846 ·
Serve is unreliable. Her return has been inconsistent in a while now. Absolutely unable to take the few chances she has + she can't sustain Serena's power for long. She'll miss or overhit after a couple of shots. That's why she lost so many long rallies! Serena is such a good ball basher, the best! I hope they'll not meet anytime soon! :help:

It's been a good tournament. She lived up to her seeding! #3 is her place in the ranking, but #1 in my heart! :hearts:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.