Tennis Forum banner

Mona Barthel - Volume 2

190K views 3K replies 87 participants last post by  Acetyl CoEnzyme 
#1 · (Edited by Moderator)
New volume! :)

#110 ·
Ich bin gespannt, wie sie mit den ganzen Slice-Schlägen von Flipper/Niculescu fertig wird.

Eigentlich hat sie da ja immer genug Zeit, sich richtig hinzustellen und den Gegnerinnen die Bälle um die Ohren zu hauen.

Beide bringen aber auch viel zurück, hoffentlich hat Mona morgen Geduld in dem Ballwechseln.

#112 ·
Also wenn morgen die 70%-Mona von heute antritt, dürfte das eine ziemlich deutliche Angelegenheit werden. Als sie in Quebec gegen Flipper hauchdünn verloren hat (67 67), ist sie wirklich grottenschlecht gewesen und hat reihenweise UEs und Doppelfehler eingestreut. Ich gehe davon aus, dass Mona's Chancen das Finale zu erreichen deutlich besser stehen als letztes Jahr. Sie sagt ja selbst, dass sie fühlt, eine bessere Spielerin geworden zu sein.

#119 ·
Good win for Mona! :D
Couldn´t see it yet but seems like 2nd set was good at least, too many ups and downs in 1st set again but that is typical for Mona :lol:
Now against Flipkens, tough match but Mona had her chances in Quebec already, hope that she can win it this time.
Flipkens has the annoying slice and a good serve but Mona has the bigger weapons, I just hope that she doesn´t make too many UEs again, anyway 2 SFs already in 2013, good start :)

#120 ·
Flipkens will be much tougher for sure. She is a smart player and can play all around tennis. Her slice will trouble Mona probably. She has a better FH than Mona too so she probably will win most of FH to FH rallies (unless Mona is on fire).

#129 ·
Flipkens has a good but also predictable forehand. So if we are talking about consistency she might be better on that wing. But when it comes to dangerousness and power Mona's forehand is way better. And dont forget that Mona's backhand is in a different league.

As i mentioned above if Mona plays 70% tomorrow like today its going to be a clear victory. :)

#131 ·
Like Hisagi, I also see the semi as a pretty tough match, I'd put Mona as favourite but I think it could be awkward. One key factor here is Flipkens' serve. Don't underestimate her ability to hit serves that are very difficult to return even without possessing the kind of pace the biggest servers have. I'm not sure if Flipkens will be able to serve well enough to neutralise Mona's ridiculous talent for aggressive returns, but if she is able to do that Mona could be quite troubled.

Another key aspect will be whether Mona can deal with Flipper's slice bh well enough. If Mona hits good hard deep shots against that slice then Flipkens will be in trouble. It's very difficult to slice against a deep ball, the slice doesn't half-volley well and usually has to back off against depth or switch to a topspin half volley.

Kirsten is a very opportunistic player, quite often she'll be defending for a whole point and then get one opportunity to attack which she takes. Whereas Mona is a player who imposes power from the backcourt consistently throughout the entire point, Kirsten (by virtue of her bh) has to wait for opportunities to suddenly strike. So if Mona is able to maintain good depth and pace she might be able to deny Kirsten many chances.

I wouldn't underestimate Flipkens' tactical savvy either. Mona has more ability but Kirsten will be using all her know-how to try to steal the win. I think the battle between Kirsten's above average serve and Mona's big return might be the biggest key. Kirsten needs to find a way to get damage from her first serve and to survive the second serve points in order to give herself a chance.

#132 ·
I can follow your well-considered arguments quite well. Kirsten is some sort of a Brad Gilbert of the WTA-Tour and this match could turn out to be a tricky one. But under normal circumstances and with a lot of confidence on Mona's side she should be in a leading position.

#133 ·
Was a really good match of Mona! At least a nice outfit :p
Only girls like her (Dani,Ana..) can wear this dress, should maintain it!
She definitely gets better and more confident in her game with every win, even played strong in defense last night. I never had the impression she could lose it! Like this she is a joy to watch! :hearts:

Nice schedule (morning CET) for her Flipper match... looking forward to see if she can make it to the final :)

#134 ·
Mona into Hobart SF ! :angel:

Nach Radio B5 aktuell hat Mona Svetlana Pironkova bezwungen :tape:

#142 ·
Mona Barthel (GER) [32]
Ksenia Pervak (KAZ)

Heather Watson (GBR)
Alexandra Cadantu (ROU)

Irina-Camelia Begu (ROU)
Arantxa Rus (NED)

Bojana Bobusic (AUS)
Agnieszka Radwanska (POL) [4]

#147 ·
I think that as for most of Mona's matches, it's all in her racket. Ksenia will get a lot of balls in play, and she's gonna fight like a demon, but she's not very powerful and Mona can definitely outhit her.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.