Tennis Forum banner

Rebecca Marino calls time on her tennis career.

25K views 218 replies 129 participants last post by  tejmeglekvár 
#1 ·
#30 ·
You could tell she had problems from her black painted fingernails! Think she's a bit of a Goth deep down, probably smoked a bit of weed too/suffers depression, and gone a bit loopy combined with PMT to make this irrational decision!
I have a feeling she will come back again!!! I hope so cos I actually loved her game and watching her play, and she had top 30 potential!

#33 ·
I just read an article about her a couple days ago regarding her return

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/02/18/s...anada-overcomes-bullying-and-hiatus.html?_r=0

She claims she took a break before due to "cyber-bullying". Now this retirement.

This is a shame, I have always enjoyed watching her play. If she really did retire because of "cyber bullys" she needs to seek therapy. It is not right, nor is it a normal reaction to have a handful of internet losers dictate your life decisions.

#50 ·
Tétreault was very different.
She realized she wasn't going to ever make it big and decided to move on to better things.
It was a brave but very smart decision on her part.

As CharlDa said, Rebecca was too preoccupied with whatever image she thought she had to portray.

#58 ·
Oh my God, seriosuly, why does she make it sound like the whole world cares about her having a twitter? :spit: She could easily avoid any kind of cyberbullying by deactivating the social media, clearly she hates it and a random top 50 player is definitely not obliged to have a twitter account. :spit: This retirement is basically haters d. Marino in two golden sets.

#61 ·
Why am I not shocked it's Melange who doesn't get this? :lol: You know, not everyone is loaded to be able to afford to play on the wta tour. When you get offered a scholarship at a school like Stanford, you get a top class education, access to tennis coaching, ability to play tourneys over breaks plus during other times like Nicole Gibbs is doing now. That's worth at least $300,000 i would say. Now tell me, how many players make $300,000 in 4 years? :lol: They can graduate when they are 22, which is young for today's standards and still have the chance to make it on the tour with an education to lean back on if they fail. Compare Gibbs/Burdette to someone like Albanese who went pro and can barely win matches these days. :lol:

#62 ·
Such a terrible news, still hoping she'd give it a try in a the future, but clearly she needs help to deal with everything right now. Hopefully she'll get that much needed help and that she'll be happy. From the link we go on Tennis Canada's twitter it sounded more like another "break" like she did last year. Let's wait for an official statement from her about retirements.

#65 ·
This is such a shame. I remember watching her play at Nottingham in 2010 when she was lowly ranked and was instantly won over. She also came across as a real sweetheart off court as well. This is such a sad loss. :bigcry:

#70 ·
thats weird. in wimbledon 2011, me and friends, bumped with her in the streets just having a walk with her parents. she seemed REALLY happy we knew who she was, and she told her parents: hey, they know me and not even on a tennis court, all smiling and happy. we took few pics with her, their parents took them. i dont understand that it seems now, she doesnt want to have people behind her =S weird

#78 ·
:lol: Your reasoning doesn't make sense as playing college tennis is actually an additional experience non-college players don't have.

A top 150 journeywoman after retiring will be either 1) paying for college with her after-career waitress job/husband's money, 2) telling those stories at the local tennis club inbetween lessons 3) be living off husbands/family's money.

A Stanford graduate at 30 will have experienced playing tennis both as a team sport and as an individual sport, both in college and all over the world and she can be sharing those larger experiences as she's sitting in her chair as the bank manager or something.

So unless I know sure as hell that I'd be making the $$$ on tour, I am quite positive #2 is the route to go.

#75 ·
Stop with the Twitter! Jeeeeeez...

Is it that hard to do?

#82 ·
Oh my... that's all I've got to say about her decision. :shrug::eek:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.