Tennis Forum banner

Australian heat wave.

10K views 108 replies 50 participants last post by  Sam L 
#1 ·
Record breaking temperatures are expected to hit the country in the coming days and weeks.

Which players will handle it best and who will melt under the unforgiving Australian sun?

#61 ·
More like welcome to an Australian summer :fiery: the Aussie isn't the only slam played in the heat, the U.S Open is often played with temps in the high 30Cs - 90/100f

#59 ·
Australian summers are normally hot and most years Melbourne will see a few hot days in the weeks before the Australian Open.

I am incline to think the heat wont have much effect on the top players, it will impact more on players that like long rallies like Caro.

#65 ·
Climate change is not the issue here for Australia naturally has very hot summers.

Where climate change is having an impact is in winter where the winters have generally become drier and the night time temps have been higher than previously.

But even so that is an interesting article.

#74 ·
It's hot this year because El Nino is returning :shrug:
Well it hasnt returned yet but is in a "normal" state after 2 La Nina years and when it becomes El Nino again Sydney and the other places will experience extremely hot temperatures :(
The reason for Australia's Drought/Flood Periods is because of this :)
Meanwhile in Peru, last year there was a huge drought due to lower water temperatures meaning less precipitation but in a few years there will be floods :)
It's just the opposite of Australia :)

#78 ·
Looking at the long term forecast on the weather channel it appears the first week of the Aussie may be wet but then that might just be the graphs they have used and it is not always accurate to look that far ahead.

#79 ·
http://blogs.discovermagazine.com/8...-raging-brushfires-in-australia/#.UOx1g78pFL9

I do not wish to incite conflict, but personally I'd trust the Bureau of Meteorology over the Weather Channel (lest that is where TWC is getting their info from :lol: ) Also, I do not desire stroking the flames between climate change believers vs. deniers. My fear is that changes are happening on a global scale, but people are collectively dismissing what is going on. The super thawing of the Greenland icesheet... bleaching of our coral reefs... Ocean acidification.. Isn't the Great Barrier reef a source of stable tourism income for Australia?

#80 · (Edited)
I would image that the Weather Channel would use the BOM as a source for weather forecasting.

I don't think there are that many that really think the climate isn't changing, as I mentioned the winter months have been a more mild than they were in previously decades.

NASA have interesting graphs that show how the world has progressively warmed in recent decades.

FYI in Melbourne today the temp is less than 20c nearly ideal for Tennis. The long term forecast are now showing a warm first week with potentially a very hot middle weekend.

And yes the Great Barrier Reef is very important for the Queensland economy.

#83 ·
Stop whinging, honestly I am over players whinging. Yes it is hot, yes it is uncomfortable...but it is not every day, and the BEST players are protected under the roof. How about players get off their rear end and TRAIN for extreme heat...guess what the players that do are the ones that do well in these conditions...funny that. I love womens tennis but sometimes they just need to get on with it.

#84 ·
But it's not the Russians and other Europeans fault that they live in cold conditions. Shouldn't they be able to spend their off-season with their families like everyone else?

#103 ·
Perhaps people are forgetting that meteorology is a highly variable science (so far). As with forecasting in general, meteorologists take into account a myriad of variables that equal an everchanging solution. The solution is changing for the negative so the variables must be affecting that change. We all have an idea which variable(s) are the culprit(s). So to demand 100% proof that variable x is causing the solution to change and assign a value to variable x is not yet feasible. It's like demanding a seismologist to predict exactly what time and place the next earthquake will occur down to the exact second/kilometer. They have a good guess at the location at least (fault zones).

#109 ·
Actually I read later that those scales were false and that the temperatures didn't actually reach 50+ in those parts. But then large areas in central Australia are not monitored so it could still be true.

I'm not alarmed by such one off phenomenon. More alarming is how the global average temperature is up 1 degree. Yes, a small amount but these are the amounts that make a difference.

This heatwave would've happened anyway but we are operating in a world that is a whole degree warmer, which exacerbates it.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.