Tennis Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Off Topic....Anything Goes vol4

240K views 5K replies 106 participants last post by  James 
#1 · (Edited by Moderator)
Time for a new volume!

#1,047 ·
Well, I don't like her, but you gotta hand it to her, she dealt with the pressure and everything amazingly well. Hate to say it, but Maria needs to take a page out of her book :eek: Defends AO and Doha, beats the new number 1, and drops to the second place. Women's tennis :inlove:

#1,049 ·
Btw, can Maria explain to us why the heck isn't she playing Dubai? I mean, it's not like she wasn't in the neighborhood :shrug: If she play Dubai, Serena will have twice as many played tournaments as Maria :spit:

She will get it back in the period between Rome and USO. She doesn't have too much to defend, Maria has loads of points for clay court season, and Serena defends major points starting with Wimbledon...

#1,053 ·
I'm sure Maria will be furious when she sees this result, but she truly only has herself to blame :shrug: If she had played like she did against Stosur (minus the doublefaults), she might well have been the one to take Serena out. Like I said yesterday, I always felt that, once one of Maria and Princess beat Serena, the other would almost immediately follow and beat her herself. I always hoped Maria would be the first to do it, but I sure hope my other prediction proves to be correct.

If I were Hogstedt, I would sit Maria down over the next week and make her watch 3 matches from Doha this week. First, i'd make her watch the ENTIRE Maria-Serena semifinal in full (I can't help but suspect she's avoided watching their matches because she just wants to shake it off and forget about it, when in reality she needs to learn from it) and see how many chances she had and how mediocre Serena was. Then I'd make her watch Serena's match against Kvitova and show her how a pure ballbasher is capable of outplaying the Serena of today. Then finally, I'd make her watch all of the final between Serena and Princess, including every minute of Princess's celebration, to light a fire under Maria's ass and pump her the fuck up and get her on the practice court and not let her leave until she's hitting the ball well enough to beat Serena.

#1,059 ·
Once again I agree completely. Maria is just too stubborn, proud, cocky, however we wanna call it. I somewhat believe that she thinks it's below her level to go back and rewatch some matches on tape, even though I think it could be beneficial and eye opening. I mean, she really needs to see and understand that Serena is not unbeatable. I would honestly make her sit through the entire Serena-Vika match, just to see how her presumed mortal enemy managed to overcome her antics (remember those times when Vika was a racquet-smashing headcase? :tape:) and beat "the unstoppable one" :eek:

And btw, I still can't understand why she's not playing Dubai when she was basically there -.-

#1,054 ·
Well we're only in February, but it looks like 2013 is fast becoming the Vika/Serena year on tour.
I'll support Masha forever, like everyone else on SS hopefully, but it becomes very disheartening to see so much success for players other than your fave. And it's not like we're supporting some random scrub, Masha should be in the mix of this success but once again she's sidelined :sad:

#1,055 ·
Some of you are so pessimistic, it's painful.

Maria has had good success this season, might I remind you she's still the third best in the world (by the rankings) at what she does. She may have had 2 poor matches, but everything else has been smooth sailing. Calm down. Maria won't be kept up at night about these losses, so we shouldn't be either. :hug:

#1,064 ·
Well, I hate to quote Mexicola, but like he said, because she is the elite she IS going to be measured against Serena and Vika :shrug: Of course Maria is having great results, of course this time 2 years ago we would have all taken her current results in a heartbeat, of course I'd pretty much expect her to beat everyone but those 2 players (plus Peak Li or Kvitova) this year no matter what, and of course all but 2 players on tour would ecstatically take Maria's results if they were offered them -- but, I doubt Maria is satisfied with being the 3rd-best on tour, when she is capable of being better :shrug: Again, I guess this is one of the disadvantages of being back in the elite, that more is expected of her and she's judged more harshly than she was back in 2010. Of course Maria could never win a match again and she'd still have had a stellar career, but it doesn't change the fact that she's capable of more than she's currently getting.

#1,056 ·
it's still the second tournament of the year though...we shouldn't be that hard on her. Last year Serena had a hard time until after the clay season and then swept everything away. I really hope dsanders is right and this will motivate Maria to beat serena. If this doesn't than I don't know what will :sobbing:

#1,058 ·
It is hilarious how after all this time, Vika - who just backed up her AO win + Doha win is now ranked no.2 after all the controversy surrounding Rena winning a slam and never reaching no.1 :lol:

But I saw on twitter, apparently if Vika plays Dubai and Rena doesn't she goes back to no.1 without even having to play a match. But I'm not sure if that is correct or not :shrug:

#1,060 ·
Yeah i think that playing Dubai would benefit her a lot because she's only played two tournaments and she'still a little rusty IMO that's the reason why she's had some trouble with her groundstrokes and she hasn't had a lot of tough competitive matches yet either there hasn't been even one three setter :spit: Is Serena playing Dubai?

#1,061 ·
Vika is a better mover than Masha though.
You have to accept that they are two completely different players. Masha is a stubborn person whilst Vika has found success and added to her game. I think Masha has added to her athletic ability but in all honestly I don't think she's added to her game. The biggest significance this week was her serve, but she was broken consecutively by Rena.

#1,066 ·
Anyway we're all just over-analysing because of what's just happened in the last hour.
It's good ofc, because if we didn't then we'd just suppress our anxiety's over Masha. But it's February, we still have the rest of the year and the clay season soon. If she doesn't start getting any success by the French Open, then we can all kill ourselves

#1,067 ·
Anyway we're all just over-analysing because of what's just happened in the last hour.
It's good ofc, because if we didn't then we'd just suppress our anxiety's over Masha. But it's February, we still have the rest of the year and the clay season soon. If she doesn't start getting any success by the French Open, then we can all kill ourselves
:spit: Yes Chris that's the way to go stay positive :lol:

#1,068 ·
Why are people surprised she's not playing Dubai?
Well Maria playing few tournaments isn't something new, so :shrug:
IIRC, the last time she played two tournaments (not counting Fed Cup) between AO and IW was 2006?

#1,074 ·
Well, I give up on WTA :awww:

Azarenka is a new legend of the sport and is unbeatable on hard courts :shrug:

I don't hate her anymore :shrug:

Good luck to the rest of the girls trying to snatch some tournaments that Azarenka isn't playing in :lol:
How is she a legend? :rolls: this is too much

#1,078 ·
I fail to see how this loss is humiliating. As a Sharapova fan, I don't think you want to even start talking about players who have had humiliating loses to Vika. Vika is the next best player on tour. If it wasn't for Serena she would be the current Wimbledon and US Open champion in addition to AO champion.

And I find it quite funny that there was a lot of talk in here yesterday about how people "live" off Maria's loses and yet some you do the same thing for Serena's and Vika's losses.

Anyways, I enjoy coming here and finding out what's going on with Maria. I certainly don't hate her and respect her game. Also, you seem to quite pessimistic in general. I remember you predicting Vika would win all 4 slams this year. Certainly it has not come to that.

#1,075 ·
Matt Cronin on twitter:

Matt Cronin ‏@TennisReporters
Objectively speaking Vikas now been involved in 4 spats/controversies in last 4 events: Sharapova chides her 4 saying she was tired/hurt...

Matt Cronin ‏@TennisReporters
...at WTA Champs; Pedicure Gate at Brisbane: MTO vs Stephens at AO; now Serena complains in Doha VA stalling w/ hand up during SW's serve.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.