Tennis Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Alexandra Dulgheru!!!

272K views 5K replies 139 participants last post by  Zamboni 
#1 ·

Alexandra is a former Top 10 junior who's been left in the dust as her contemporaries, Victoria, Caroline, Aga and Agnes have made their names on the WTA tour.

Now, Alexandra seems to want to make her own noise. She just lost out on winning her 2nd (and by far biggest) title at the 75K hardcourt in Monzon. She is now within the Top 250 and warrants her own cheering thread! :bounce:

See less See more
#3,303 ·
Romanian player losing a final set tiebreak? I guess this has never happened before.

Anyway, it's already a success for her at this rate to hold for such a long match on WTA level. I wouldn't have thought this was possible a couple of weeks ago. Let's hope for a great claycourt season. :)

#3,305 ·
It's not about losing the tiebreak, it's about her not being able to win the match without going into the tiebreak or into the third set at all.

I have to disagree about seeing this match as a succes for Alex. It was a huge succes for Medina, instead. When you hold a 7-5 4-2 40-30 lead and you're on serve you are expected to win, not to let yourself dragged into a deciding set. Unless you're a Romanian (see Cadantu - Watson match in AO this year or Cirstea - Watson match in Miami, last year). Same shitty story once again.

#3,306 ·
I didn't follow the match on livescores, but if it was like that, then she really should have won.

Yeah, making things more complicated than they should is a classic Romanian thing. One reason may be that they can't get a cheap point on serve (at key points) and will always be dependent on the fighting spirit of the other. I'm also 100% sure Simona would have lost a final TB yesterday if it has gotten that far after all the blown chances.

I don't mind losing a final set TB, but in most cases, the match should have been won before that...

Still, I try to make the best out of this and think that playing a 3 hour match was already a good sign. I remember their match at Marbella 2 years ago which was an abolute nailbiter. Alexandra's perfect drop shot to set up MP. :drool:

#3,307 ·
Well, the glass is half full when it's half empty...
If she had lost 0-6 0-6 I wouldn't have minded at all. But at this score I have to say I'm dissapointed. I only expected more, because she obviously can do more.
A win here: 50 ranking points, up 70 places in the rankings and the chance to play some qualies in some high-level events in the clay season (when she'll run out of PR entries), instead of 10K & 25K ITF events.
Her loss: none of the above.

As for the 3h match... She already proved she can do this several times since her comeback after injury (Arruabarena-Vecino, Peng). I want to see her winning 3h+ matches. Besides that, they played like 1h 30 min, then they had a break for almost 4h due to a monsoon, and when they resumed they played for another 1h 30 min, so... plenty of time to recover from eventual fatigue from the first session.

#3,316 · (Edited)
Well, the glass is half full when it's half empty...
If she had lost 0-6 0-6 I wouldn't have minded at all. But at this score I have to say I'm dissapointed. I only expected more, because she obviously can do more.
A win here: 50 ranking points, up 70 places in the rankings and the chance to play some qualies in some high-level events in the clay season (when she'll run out of PR entries), instead of 10K & 25K ITF events.
Her loss: none of the above.

As for the 3h match... She already proved she can do this several times since her comeback after injury (Arruabarena-Vecino, Peng). I want to see her winning 3h+ matches. Besides that, they played like 1h 30 min, then they had a break for almost 4h due to a monsoon, and when they resumed they played for another 1h 30 min, so... plenty of time to recover from eventual fatigue from the first session.
If Alex had lost 6-0 6-0 that would have been a seriously bleak depressing result which would have suggested that any hope of her coming back to top 100, let alone the top 30 was uncertain at best. If Alex had lost that match 6-0 6-0 I would have been seriously bummed and unsure about her future.

In contrast 5-7 6-4 7-6(3) in three hours indicates Alex is once again fit enough to play a high level competitive three hour matches on what is the toughest surface to play on in terms of the demands it makes on the knees. That Alex came through such a match completely fit is brilliant.

You have to look at the bigger picture. We are talking about a career here not just a tennis match. As long as Alex is able to go three hours with AMG on a slow hardcourt I really feel good about her fitness and already it looks like Alex is playing to a top 75 standard. Which at this point in her comeback is fantastic. Hopefully she can get even better for the clay court season.

Would it have been nice if Alex won this match? Absolutely. Is it a bit disappointing that she lost it from a winning position? I suppose it is. Does it really matter much when one looks at the bigger picture and Alex's future? No, not at all.

As a result 7-5 4-6 6-7(3) >>>>>>>>>>> 0-6 0-6 and it's not even close.

#3,308 ·
Losing a match after being a set and a break up is something so unusual in WTA? Are you kidding me? I think that losing a set after a break up lead is very normal in women tennis. In fact this is how the things work in WTA :)

#3,315 ·
Guys in the uk we use this way of thought for something we believe in

THROUGH THICK AND THIN
But on TF, it's ON THE BANDWAGON, OFF THE BANDWAGON. :p

J/k.

The match ended at three hours exactly :eek:

Well, playing Anabel has always gone the distance with Alex; just this time she lost. :hug:

#3,317 ·
Small picture: A loss is a loss, no matter what the final score is. She played one match in Miami and she lost it. Since her comeback she played 4 matches that needed a 3rd set and she lost 3 of them, so I guess, yeah, if you're an optimist you can say that she's fit, if you're not, you can say that she's fit enough to finish 3 sets matches, but not fit enough to win them.

Big picture: Top 100? For sure, perhaps next year. Top 30? I strongly doubt it. (But I secretly wish to be wrong on the last prediction :D )

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.