Tennis Forum banner

Did the WTA airbrush Barthel's face?

91K views 213 replies 121 participants last post by  Perun 
#1 ·
#155 ·
Who cares what her face look likes? SO what if she has a little acne. This is tennis, not a skin care commercial. :rolleyes: Ill never understand the media's obsession with a persons image.

#159 ·
Actually I don't think there's a big problem for Mona, I bet she'll be even relieved and happy to see her pics like that.:shrug: Which girl doesn't want to look pretty or even just decently on newspapers/internet etc.?:shrug: and if I were her, I'll feel that people actually cared enough to help her to look good on such occasion.

#164 ·
I don't know what she thinks, she could either like them doing it or not doing it. If I was Mona, I wouldn't like it.

And you went too far when you said about the WTA caring...they couldn't care less about Mona or any other player and are only doing the photoshopping for VERY superficial reasons.

#162 ·
The problem isn't the WTA photoshopping it. The problem is WE PEOPLE who see a picture of Mona or any other person with acne and think what we think. Unfortunately this is the society we're living in and it's not looking good. :no:

If they do the Photoshop job is beacuse they know people won't be as "disturbed". Sad but true.

#171 ·
Why is this even an issue?

#174 ·
After reading some of the comments in the latest result thread I'm not at all surprised the WTA airbrushes her face. It seems a lot of people do have a problem with her appearance which is really sad to see. :hug:

#177 ·
Normally, I would call this the sort of thing that does not deserve to be discussed ad infinitum, especially as Barthel is clearly a confident young woman and has everything going for her: sweet modest personality, beautiful athletic figure and features, and game. What one poster said about her probably having done the rounds of dermatologists for her condition is probably true. As an athlete though, she cannot risk taking steroids for it or endless experimental therapies. I think in general that all the physical activity does help the skin a lot, because we don't see too many athletes with skin conditions. Which means it is just bad luck (genes) responsible for the few cases we do see.

I sympathize with her because it can be mentally (more than physically) scarring to see how most people do not have to worry one bit about something a few end up agonizing over, something they do not have much control over. But she does not seem affected by it, and kudos to her for that. Awful of the WTA to do what they do. It is probably something that is a default policy by now, but is reprehensible anyway, especially considering how they are trying to bring players closer to the fans, referring to players by their first names, composing player 'getting-to-know' pieces and videos.

Am I surprised though? Judging by some of the vile comments here, no. They seem to know their target audience.

#183 ·
Yes, but highlighting that WTA's website airbrushes Barthel's as some sort of evil deed when WTA's website airbrushes every player is extremely weird. They do terrible job in general, every player on the website looks like covered in wax.

But let's not forget that WTA's beauty queens are also photoshopped whenever possible. Here's an example:

I never see an uproar about this, in fact Sharapova's fanbase loves to put airbrushed pictures in their avatars/signatures and no one calls anyone 'shallow' or whatever.

#185 ·
Dude, that is promo-shoot photo, everybody knows those are doctored.

Action shots aren't supposed to be touched up, they are supposed to show the person in their state during the match. It's not a fashion shoot... the WTA is probably the only sporting organization that doctors its action shots.

The dumb thing is that they take shots from Getty that appear on countless other websites as well..in their undoctored form like it's supposed to be..making the WTA look foolish.

#188 ·
Um, whats wrong with the W airbrushing? Mona has a bad acne problem. I have no problem with the W airbrushing pics to make them presentable.

Reactions: Quest for Infamy
#190 ·
Exactly. Some of the politically correct people on this board make me chuckle.

So the "W" simply "airbrushed" a few pimples...

WOW! So uncalled for! Shame on them!

#191 ·
Problem is there alot of shalow people in this world who are just judging everybody by the looks. The whole photoshop mania is just making it worse in my eyes.

This board isn't that holy either as there are tons of juvenile posts making fun of Alizé's nose, Caro's forehead, Sabine's teeth etc.

Often the ones who make fun of others looks aren't that good looking either and are trying to hide their complexes by judging other people.

#195 ·
THIS!!!!:worship: Different strokes for different folks! There's absolutely no problem airbrushing acne spots ...and OH Beauty is skin deep. Most of the players considered 'beautiful' by many on this board, are actually ugly TBH, I could name them & their flaws, but who am I to judge? Every1 has their preferences of beauty traits, let's leave it at that :cool:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.