Tennis Forum banner

YEC 2012 iSTANBUL Mission: Beat Vika/Rena, humiliate Haga and win the title.

73K views 1K replies 93 participants last post by  Abuttons 
#1 ·
I have no idea how she'll do here. Here's hoping for an easy group.

#3 ·
Re: WTA Championships 2012 iStanbul Mission: Win the title by not facing Rena/Vika

haha the title. it's the only way though, she has no gameplan vs either on this surface (or any surface vs rena :oh:) its just disappointing that as the number 2 seed she can't make anything competitive against these two. Bar stuttgart and the USO semifinal, in terms of final performances this has been abysmal from her. Maybe she'll surprise us at the YEC, but I'm sick of hoping :rolleyes:

#5 ·
Re: WTA Championships 2012 iStanbul Mission: Win the title by not facing Rena/Vika

I want Kerber, Errani and Radwanska! :help: No Serena or Vika please!

This post has been deleted
#7 ·

I think Maria will get drawn Serena in her group, but I don't really mind. I mean, it's better to face her in the RR than in the SF and get a beatdown or something? I mean, In 2012 Martha is 1-7 vs fellow Top-4 players and 9-1 vs the four other YEC participants. So realistically I'd rather her face Serena in the RR, so she doesn't face her in the SF? (Of course assuming Serena makes it to the SF)
this!

#10 ·

Masha should take WC for Kremlin Cup, because after this Final will be hard to get mentally ready for YEC. And Masha has lack of game practice vs decent players

#13 ·

Masha should take WC for Kremlin Cup, because after this Final will be hard to get mentally ready for YEC. And Masha has lack of game practice vs decent players
She's not gonna do that, she's not that desperate. It's better for her to rest up and be ready for YEC.

#12 ·

Maybe not in time for the YEC, but I believe Kvitova will be back to top 3 form soon. And that will be another huge problem for Maria in 2013 and beyond, to go along with her mental blocks with Serena and Vika. When Petra's on her game, Maria can't handle her. We saw that at Wimbledon in 2011 and in the 2nd set of the Aussie semi.

Just something else to think about on this bleak day. If Maria is stuck in a group with Serena/Kvitova, for example, I don't see her getting out of RR. She has to be demoralized at this point, after what happened today.

#14 ·

I just want her to have a good finish to such a good year.

#18 ·

at least she'll be fully fit there this year.

#19 ·

I think she has a gameplan vs. Vika, she just never executes it. But when she does she bosses. I just want the off-season and all the improvements that come with it to happen tbh.

#20 ·

The one thing I have a MAJOR issue with is that Joyce was always talking about moving forwards and ending the points on the swinging volley but under Thomas I feel there's been a real decline in that area.

#29 ·

The one thing I have a MAJOR issue with is that Joyce was always talking about moving forwards and ending the points on the swinging volley but under Thomas I feel there's been a real decline in that area.
Agree! Drive volley used to be one of Maria's best assets and now she barely uses it, and when she does it's a disaster :eek:

#21 ·

The good thing about this YEC is that it'll be indoors and she seems to play well indoors. She played some of her best tennis this year at Stuttgart.

Plus she did get her last win against Vika indoors so if they do play each other here, which I think Maria will have to do to win it, that should give her some confidence hopefully.

#23 ·

I like that Thomas has introduced more margin for the benefit of Claypova's emergence. But I take issue in Maria playing too conservatively on hardcourts and carrying that form over, where she can't defend as well, and doesn't have the luxury of time as with clay. Once she realised the superior players will not tolerate her topspin up the middle of the court shots, she'll go into her frantic maniac ballbashing mode again.

#25 ·

I like that Thomas has introduced more margin for the benefit of Claypova's emergence. But I take issue in Maria playing too conservatively on hardcourts and carrying that form over, where she can't defend as well, and doesn't have the luxury of time as with clay. Once she realised the superior players will not tolerate her topspin up the middle of the court shots, she'll go into her frantic maniac ballbashing mode again.
So true! Moreover, there's no net game. She doesn't attack the net anymore. She just plants her feet on the baseline and stays there. One more thing: after every serve she lands two metres inside the baseline.. how can you possibly hit Vika's deep ROS back if it always gets past you? :eek:

#33 ·

Svetlio, bish, get your ass on here and start making a thread again! You know, you have two tournament-winning streak going :mad:

Anyway, just to refresh memory :oh:

Make a SF at least please :)

#34 ·

Svetlio, bish, get your ass on here and start making a thread again! You know, you have two tournament-winning streak going :mad:

Anyway, just to refresh memory :oh:

Make a SF at least please :)
it's time we stopped requiring Semis or Finals from Masha.... She has plenty of them this year....

Masha, pls win it again!!!:)

#35 ·

I think we've got to remember to not take all this for granted,her consistently going deep in tournaments. Remember back in '09/'10 the chances of her ever getting back to the top didn't look very good at all...

#36 ·

WTA Championships 2012 iStanbul Mission: Win the title by not facing Rena/Vika

:eek: WOAT title? :eek:

What happened to beat the best to be the best? :rolleyes:

#38 ·

WTA Championships 2012 iStanbul Mission: Win the title by not facing Rena/Vika

:eek: WOAT title? :eek:

What happened to beat the best to be the best? :rolleyes:
This.

#41 ·

YEC 2007 was also after a loss to Vika right? :scratch: :oh:

And I agree, title change pls. I still want her to face and beat Vika at least. Serena can out-hit Maria, but Vika just pushes, and Maria self-implodes. Pls play like 2007 YEC! :cheer:

#43 ·

To be fair the thread starter was probably just frustrated after the nth loss to Vika in a final.

I do agree that at some point we need to change it though.

I think bitch would be motivated enough this time to not play shit again. Especially after her non-performance last year.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.