Tennis Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

** Masha News and Articles! ** Vol. 2

490K views 5K replies 229 participants last post by  jameshazza 
#1 ·
Hi everyone :wavey:

Thought maybe we could use a thread here to post all the news, interviews, and articles we find on Masha. :)

I just got my new Tennis Week magazine and Maria is on the cover again (she was also on the March cover). :eek:

If they haven't been posted already, I'll scan in the pics and article and post them here later.

#2,212 ·
If she does decent at Madrid/Rome, that should cover her Strasbourg points and she can really gain some points in Paris (if she plays well of course) as she only made the 3rd Round there last year. It's hard to see her not be a top 8 seed by Wimbledon.

#2,213 ·
I think that even if she isn't the No.8 (or better) seed based on the WTA rankings, there's still a chance that the Wimbledon draw committee might bump her up a spot or two.

#2,215 ·
Just keep her away from Nubile Young Blondes in the draw and she'll be fine!

#2,218 ·
Maria Sharapova
Two solid tournaments back to back, much more work to get done!!! I am going to take 3 days off and get those clay court shoes ready to go. I can’t remember the last time I was this excited to get on the clay. My team from Nike just sent me this very cool video with a strong message, I hope you enjoy it as much as I did.
From Facebook.

Bambi is excited for clay cause she's clayGOAT!

#2,222 ·
Maria Sharapova (facebook)
Two solid tournaments back to back, much more work to get done!!! I am going to take 3 days off and get those clay court shoes ready to go. I can’t remember the last time I was this excited to get on the clay. My team from Nike just sent me this very cool video with a strong message, I hope you enjoy it as much as I did.

#2,227 ·
ROME
Main Draw

# Player Name Nation Rank Pref

1 WOZNIACKI, CAROLINE DEN 1 1
2 CLIJSTERS, KIM BEL 2 1
3 SCHIAVONE, FRANCESCA ITA 4 1
4 STOSUR, SAMANTHA AUS 5 1
5 LI, NA CHN 6 1
6 JANKOVIC, JELENA SRB 7 1
7 AZARENKA, VICTORIA BLR 8 1
8 WILLIAMS, VENUS USA 9 1
9 BARTOLI, MARION FRA 10 1
10 PEER, SHAHAR ISR 11 1
11 WILLIAMS, SERENA USA 12 1
12 SHARAPOVA, MARIA RUS 13 1
13 RADWANSKA, AGNIESZKA R POL 14 1
14 KUZNETSOVA, SVETLANA RUS 15 1
15 KANEPI, KAIA EST 16 1
16 PENNETTA, FLAVIA ITA 17 1
17 IVANOVIC, ANA SRB 19 1
18 WICKMAYER, YANINA BEL 20 1
19 PAVLYUCHENKOVA, ANASTASIA RUS 21 1
20 PETROVA, NADIA RUS 22 1
21 PETKOVIC, ANDREA GER 23 1
22 REZAI, ARAVANE FRA 24 1
23 CIBULKOVA, DOMINIKA SVK 25 1
24 KLEYBANOVA, ALISA RUS 26 1
25 KIRILENKO, MARIA RUS 27 1
26 DULGHERU, ALEXANDRA ROU 28 1
27 GROTH, JARMILA AUS 29 1
28 HANTUCHOVA, DANIELA SVK 30 1
29 SAFAROVA, LUCIE CZE 31 1
30 PENG, SHUAI CHN 32 1
31 MARTINEZ SANCHEZ, MARIA JOSE ESP 33 1
32 PIRONKOVA, TSVETANA K BUL 34 1
33 GOERGES, JULIA GER 35 1
34 VINCI, ROBERTA ITA 37 1
35 SEVASTOVA, ANASTASIJA LAT 38 1
36 MAKAROVA, EKATERINA RUS 39 1
37 ERRANI, SARA ITA 40 1
38 SCHNYDER, PATTY SUI 41 1
39 SHVEDOVA, YAROSLAVA KAZ 42 1
40 MATTEK-SANDS, BETHANIE USA 43 1
41 BACSINSZKY, TIMEA SUI 45 1
42 BENESOVA, IVETA CZE 46 1
43 DULKO, GISELA ARG 47 1

#2,232 ·
http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2011/writers/jon_wertheim/04/06/mailbag/1.html

It seems that Sharapova's lack of mental toughness is evident in her recent losses -- the most recent beatdown now at the hands of Azarenka (and not as close as the 6-1, 6-4 scoreline suggests). Sharapova seems to be finished as a Grand Slam contender, :)rolleyes: this guy clearly hasn't watched many of her matches recently) but can we at least expect her to make second-week runs at the majors?
--Gaurang Abhiman, Chicago

• Five points on Sharapova:

1) She probably has mid-eight figures banked. She's engaged. She has other interests. She has three Slams to her name already. I credit her with grinding it out, still possessing the motivation and will to climb back up the ladder.

2) She's in the top 10 and, if you check out the points, is a likely top five member by Wimbledon.:)eek: I thought she would be only top 8. If she's in the top 5 that would be amazing)

3) Until she repairs her serve, it's hard to see her winning seven straight matches. When the serve goes, so much else -- not least your confidence during points -- goes with it.

4) Canon may have whiffed with "Image is Everything." But Sharapova's catchphrase, "Make every shot a power shot," is, sadly, accurate. I can't recall a top player who plays with such little nuance.

5) A few of you have mentioned this but I can't find it anywhere. Apparently Bill Simmons has quite a funny riff about Sharapova's intended, Sasha Vujacic. Can someone fill us in? Sound promising.

Read more: http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2011/writers/jon_wertheim/04/06/mailbag/index.html#ixzz1In9GSHNj

#2,233 ·
http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2011/writers/jon_wertheim/04/06/mailbag/1.html

It seems that Sharapova's lack of mental toughness is evident in her recent losses -- the most recent beatdown now at the hands of Azarenka (and not as close as the 6-1, 6-4 scoreline suggests). Sharapova seems to be finished as a Grand Slam contender, :)rolleyes: this guy clearly hasn't watched many of her matches recently) but can we at least expect her to make second-week runs at the majors?
--Gaurang Abhiman, Chicago

• Five points on Sharapova:

1) She probably has mid-eight figures banked. She's engaged. She has other interests. She has three Slams to her name already. I credit her with grinding it out, still possessing the motivation and will to climb back up the ladder.

2) She's in the top 10 and, if you check out the points, is a likely top five member by Wimbledon.:)eek: I thought she would be only top 8. If she's in the top 5 that would be amazing)

3) Until she repairs her serve, it's hard to see her winning seven straight matches. When the serve goes, so much else -- not least your confidence during points -- goes with it.

4) Canon may have whiffed with "Image is Everything." But Sharapova's catchphrase, "Make every shot a power shot," is, sadly, accurate. I can't recall a top player who plays with such little nuance.

5) A few of you have mentioned this but I can't find it anywhere. Apparently Bill Simmons has quite a funny riff about Sharapova's intended, Sasha Vujacic. Can someone fill us in? Sound promising.

Read more: http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2011/writers/jon_wertheim/04/06/mailbag/index.html#ixzz1In9GSHNj
:weirdo: Does Na Li ring a bell?
He clearly has never watched tennis at all.

#2,235 ·
i see on maria website forum they talk about the cartoon "Masha and the bear" with a blonde and green eyes little girl.(little maria)

it's very funny to see the cartoon on youtube if you have nothing to do.

#2,239 · (Edited)
Facebook:
Maria Sharapova said:
Just finished a hard week of training down at IMG academies in Bradenton, its nice to go back to my roots. Yesterday during my off day (nice off day) I had an amazing Cole Haan shoot and I got to spend the day with my super fun glam team. My long time hair stylist Adir is finally up on facebook, my fans should follow him for the latest and greatest in hair and beauty, he is a genius. www.facebook.com/AdirAbergel - Ok, enough about Adir!! Off to the Bahamas for another hard training week and an exho with Dulko!!

#2,242 ·
Told you she's freakin' CLAY-GOAT nowadays. :bowdown: Maria has the best winning percentage on clay of any other tennis player currently in the top 100. :sobbing:

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/04/13/sports/tennis/13iht-TENNIS13.html?_r=1&ref=christopherclarey

Top players whose career winning percentages on clay are worse include the current No. 1 player in the world, Caroline Wozniacki, as well as Kim Clijsters, Serena and Venus Williams and Maria Sharapova, although Sharapova surprisingly has the best winning percentage on clay (78.6 percent) of anyone in the top 100. Not bad for a slugger who grew up on Florida hard courts and who once compared her movement on clay to a “cow on ice.”

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.