Tennis Forum banner

Recommend a type of strings!

29K views 101 replies 49 participants last post by  moodin0931 
#1 ·
I play tennis about 3 times a week, I'd say I'm a little better than your average 19 year-old. I have big ground strokes, but I also like to volley and use my slice (typically, though, I have a two-handed backhand). I can get lazy, though, and miss big shots because my footing was wrong. I move, I just don't have the best footwork because I've never really been coached.

Anyway, right now I play with Gamma Synthetic Gut 16. I find it lasts about a month (playing 2-3 matches a week). I like it because it lasts a while, only costs $5, and best of all it breaks instead of losing tension. I hate the string that lasts for months and just gets loser and loser till you're forced to cut it anyway. I'd rather have my strings just break. I string myself, though, so perhaps if I had to take it somewhere I'd feel differently :lol:. I like these strings, but I'm trying to venture out and try some different kinds because I feel like I could find something better.

Anyone have any recommendations? I'm trying to stay under $10 a racket. I'd prefer some non-Gamma suggestions, as all I've ever used is Gamma and I'd like to try a different brand. Basically, I want to experiment with strings to suit my game, but I don't know where to start :lol:

#51 · (Edited)
hi guys I have always used prince syn gut...never really tried other strings...so is prince syn gut more on the playability side or durability or both? is it more toward lower price bracket or mid level? just want to know about this string and decide which string I want to try next..any recommendations? what string that's similar feel to prince syn gut? thanks guys

When they string the racquet they should always tie it with 4 knots? this place only did 2 knots...and it's pretty loose now...other than the knots how do you know if they are good at string racquet or not?

last question this store they got prince syn gut but it got a lot of dust on it...seems like it had been on the shelf for awhile...does string get worse when they are on the shelf for year? or no problem? thanks

#53 ·
Prince Syn gut is a value brand and like most Syn guts is a mix of durability and feel. Personally I swear by full poly string job.
Hybrid will be strung with 4 knots. Other string jobs can be 2 or 4 knots depending on the racquet.
I think 4 knots has potential to be more loose if the starting knot of the crosses isn't done properly.

#52 ·
I had Dunlop Silk which was the default string on the Dunlop 300 plus racquet which I bought. I would rate it high on playability, but it moved a lot and after 4-5 weeks I had to change it because it was totally frayed.

I have Dunlop explosive in the crosses, and Head RipControl on my mains which has made it quite a good combination of spin, control, power and durability so far.

Head RipControl is textured which helps to add spin to the ball, does anybody know of any similar strings in the Luxilon brand?

#57 ·
Yep, i liked this string since i'm also a flat hitter :lol: played with it for about a year.

Yonex Poly Tour Pro Yellow (Kirilenko's strings) is actually quite nice, though I swear by my current setup of Natural gut + RPM Blast. :worship:

#55 ·
I have not played with this string, but it seems to have nothing but positive reviews all over the web. Have a look at the reviews in Stringforum, where it has been chosen as the Non-poly of the year 2012.

#60 ·
More so than Luxilon Spin? I'm on the market for some strings that do exactly this. I hit a pretty flat hard ball and I need some more spin to keep my shots in the court more often. Playing with Luxilon spin for years. Any other suggestions. I use BLX Blade 98 if that helps.

#59 ·
Wow it is good to know. I have been really curious to know how it plays.
I am using Volkl Cyclone now and it is great, I have never had so much control with any other string so far. I should give 4G a try as soon as the local stringer gets a reel of it.

#61 ·
I guess Solinco Tour Bite could be a good option for you. It is very uncomfortable but offers great spin. I can also recommend Volkl Cyclone 16. It does offer more spin than Luxilon Spin and keeps the tension better.

This post has been deleted
#65 ·
There are sooooooooooooooo many strings that it is hard to suggest one out of them. Just go to TW and choose the one with the material and characteristics that you want.
If you think that is a big headache, just go with tone on the neck of your racket or trust it to stringer at your pro shop.

#71 ·
Yeay, I look forward to the review of that.
Love this string. No power whatsoever, and it takes an hour or two to break in, but the spin, feel, and comfort are awesome. like really awesome. I hit a pretty hard flat ball so it works well for me. It's really great for controlling the ball too. i string it pretty low are 53 lbs. hasn't broken, have em for like 4 months. gonna change me out here soon,. but definitely a great string.

#69 ·
Playtest both of them and go with the one you like more. We can all give our opinions, but you're the one who's going to be spending the money and using the strings.

#78 · (Edited)
Can anyone help me figure out what kind of strings to buy?

I have been having a big issue with breaking my strings pretty frequently. Some of my strings have only been lasting a few weeks to a month now and it's getting pretty tiring. I'm not sure if it's the person stringing it or the type of string I'm buying or both. But I notice whenever I get a racket strung by tenniswarehouse when I purchase a new one, those typically last for 5-6 months. I get the Babolat Hurricane 16 Feel (Blue). And they just broke a few weeks ago so I got Babolat Addiction (they didn't have the Hurricane at the place I got it strung at) and they just broke yesterday after not even a month of playing. It's just very frustrating and can get really expensive with stringing it every few weeks. How often I play differs from once a week to 3-4 times a week, so I guess average would be around 2-3 times a week. I mainly hit flat but I've been trying to incorporate some topspin on my shots too (not sure if that matters). It's not like I hit it as hard as Serena Williams so why the hell are my strings breaking so frequently? :rolleyes:

But basically, what sort of gut is the best for durability? Natural? Synthetic? Kevlar? I know very little about strings.

Edit: I've also been doing some reading on this and this seems like a good starting point for anyone else interested: http://www.slcstringer.com/aboutstrings.html

So it looks like a poly is a good choice for string breakers? They say you don't want to string a racket with just Kevlar string. And I don't think I would want to do a hybrid. The problem is I still want more control and more durability since I can generate some decent power on my own. But I also don't want to lose too much power either :lol:

So it looks like I'll go with a 16/16L for guage and string on the lower side for tension (maybe 57/58?) I got my last one strung at 60.. Which may have been too high.

#81 ·
Can anyone help me figure out what kind of strings to buy?

I have been having a big issue with breaking my strings pretty frequently. Some of my strings have only been lasting a few weeks to a month now and it's getting pretty tiring. I'm not sure if it's the person stringing it or the type of string I'm buying or both. But I notice whenever I get a racket strung by tenniswarehouse when I purchase a new one, those typically last for 5-6 months. I get the Babolat Hurricane 16 Feel (Blue). And they just broke a few weeks ago so I got Babolat Addiction (they didn't have the Hurricane at the place I got it strung at) and they just broke yesterday after not even a month of playing. It's just very frustrating and can get really expensive with stringing it every few weeks. How often I play differs from once a week to 3-4 times a week, so I guess average would be around 2-3 times a week. I mainly hit flat but I've been trying to incorporate some topspin on my shots too (not sure if that matters). It's not like I hit it as hard as Serena Williams so why the hell are my strings breaking so frequently? :rolleyes:

But basically, what sort of gut is the best for durability? Natural? Synthetic? Kevlar? I know very little about strings.

Edit: I've also been doing some reading on this and this seems like a good starting point for anyone else interested: http://www.slcstringer.com/aboutstrings.html

So it looks like a poly is a good choice for string breakers? They say you don't want to string a racket with just Kevlar string. And I don't think I would want to do a hybrid. The problem is I still want more control and more durability since I can generate some decent power on my own. But I also don't want to lose too much power either :lol:

So it looks like I'll go with a 16/16L for guage and string on the lower side for tension (maybe 57/58?) I got my last one strung at 60.. Which may have been too high.
you think 57/58 is one the lower side, that's cute, :trollcat:

I'm working on a list of suggestions for you :)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.