Tennis Forum banner

2015 Adventure (Cheering Thread)

55K views 967 replies 60 participants last post by  Nightcrawl3r 
#1 · (Edited)
#472 · (Edited)
Re: 2014 American adventure (Cheering Thread)

I gave up to watch Sorana playing, it's too painful for me :lol:
Good win though, let's hope for more to come next days :)

#476 ·

A little choke after coming back from 2 breaks down yesterday : 6-4 , *2-0 (30-0)

:facepalm:

Jovanovski must be really fit . She played a lot of matches in the last days. (and long ones) . Thought she must be tired and Sorana might prevail in the 3rd set but it wasn't the case.

#485 ·

I really wonder what is wrong with her serve. She had shoulder problems, but I thought she recovered. Hard to say without having watched her matches this week.

Jovanovski must be really fit . She played a lot of matches in the last days. (and long ones) . Thought she must be tired and Sorana might prevail in the 3rd set but it wasn't the case.
This is exactly what I thought as well, but then again my judgment might be strained by the fact that most of the players I support usually get injured after having gone far in one tournament and are set to bomb out in R1 the week after. It seems that there are exceptions, though. However, hard to say how this match unfolded without a stream.

I'm already surprised she beat Bertens, to be honest. That was a good win.

She is obviously going thru some rough patch, you know this is not her level. Bojana might have some better results but by all means, do you really think she is a better player than Sorana ?
Well, she has already won two slams: Baku and Tashkent

They are both very incosnsistent, but Jovanovski is at least able to deliver at the glorified MMs, while Sorana's motivation for these tournaments seems equal to mine visiting the dentist. In my opinion they are currently the two weakest player inside the Top 50 judged by this year's results.

I'm actually scared to see Sorana being stuck down in the rankings for the next couple of years. She will not make the cut-off for more prestigious events anymore and has to win matches in lower tier events for once.

#477 ·

as soon as Bojana showed some signs of coming back into the match Sorana must've freaked out in the way she usually does.

too bad, not only Bojana must've been hella tired but also Sorana was the only seed left on her side of the draw.

#483 ·

Rogers Cup is played in Montreal this year, whereas Sori had her success in Toronto last year. Two years ago, in Montreal, Sori lost 6-0 6-0 in first round of qualifying to Sesil Karetancheva.
Not that Sorana's past results are any indication of future performance. Regardless of how far she gets in Montreal next week, I feel she is slowly getting back to a decent form. I know she has a ton of points to defend, but she can still pick up a lot of points in Cincinnati (which she skipped last year).

#484 ·

Rogers Cup is played in Montreal this year, whereas Sori had her success in Toronto last year. Two years ago, in Montreal, Sori lost 6-0 6-0 in first round of qualifying to Sesil Karetancheva.
Not that Sorana's past results are any indication of future performance. Regardless of how far she gets in Montreal next week, I feel she is slowly getting back to a decent form. I know she has a ton of points to defend, but she can still pick up a lot of points in Cincinnati (which she skipped last year).
Sori lost the match being on the main draw, Sesil was a qualifier. :p

i agree with the second part, she's shown some signs of improvement. i wish the Washington tournament was streamed though.

#490 ·

No comment she lost and now will be ranking around 80, i think is deserved. Good luck in your futher tournaments.

#493 ·

The next week rankings will reflect exactly where her form is at the moment but not her potential. Some of you here forget how great this girl can play if she has the right guidance, when her morale is up. She has the right game but somehow manage to make some wrong decisions on court, gets frustrated really fast and than tries to end the point too soon, trying to skip over the construction of it. In my thinking, as a tennis outsider, this is Ionita`s fault, since he can`t make her be more calm and focused on court. He needs to go ! The only time I saw Sorana being coached by someone else was Toronto last year, and that went great, so why not ?!?!

#494 ·
The next week rankings will reflect exactly where her form is at the moment but not her potential. Some of you here forget how great this girl can play if she has the right guidance, when her morale is up. She has the right game but somehow manage to make some wrong decisions on court, gets frustrated really fast and than tries to end the point too soon, trying to skip over the construction of it. In my thinking, as a tennis outsider, this is Ionita`s fault, since he can`t make her be more calm and focused on court. He needs to go ! The only time I saw Sorana being coached by someone else was Toronto last year, and that went great, so why not ?!?!
Cahill pet her this year too in USA and another few times in 2013. I don't remember in 2012 but she works with the Adidas team for some time. If I didn't say this yet ,she needs someone who can put her to respect all in all and Ionita got too close in terms of coach-player 'relationship' to change something. It could be seen also yesterday when he was called on court. :rolleyes:

Sent from Verticalsports.com Free App

#495 · (Edited)

A coach change might also be in vain but we can`t know that cause she`s been with Ionita since forever.
There`s a rule that apply almost in every sport: went things aren`t working the way they should, a change is necessary and in Sorana`s case, letting Ionita go is the easiest thing to do. Who knows, this might do the trick !
I`m sure there are enough good coaches out there who will be happy to work with a girl with such potential.

#496 ·

At least one year she can afford to work with a good coach, even as an experiment.
A coach to listen to and follow his directions.
Ionita is innocent meaning he is more of a companion.

She has fallen out of top 100 in the past and she struggled to get back.
I don't think she liked to play those 50k and 100k where there is no glamor for someone like her.

#498 ·

The worrying thing against Safarova was that she was probably serving as well as she can now and still never had a real chance. That ace in the first game of the second set must have been one of the fastest she has ever hit, I guess.

Even though that in my opinion pretty biased English stream commentator said otherwise, Safarova was nothing special that day. She was however still better in every department of the game - a tad more consistent from the baseline, a tad more reliable on the return, a tad more consistent on the serve and a tad more patient in the rallies. If you add together all these tiny advantages, you will in the end get a difference of level between these two that was obvious throughout the year.

I don't know if changing coaches would bring her quick success;, after all it's up to her work hard to reach her goals, but at this point she needs to try out something new. She can still stay in contact with Ionita if she wants to, but there must be one coach that is only there for her - sharing coaches would frustrate her even more.

She will play Ivanovic in Cinci R1, so her chances there are, despite her good showing at Fed Cup, relatively slim.

#503 ·

Although her game deserted her for much of the match, at least she kept fighting. Sori played some real quality tennis for a stretch there. Ana was brilliant at the end. Sori would have taken that set against most players most of the time, even with her 12 point walk-about. She just needs to keep working and keep telling herself that those flashes of brilliance are not a fluke - she has the ability to play like that most of the time, and not too many players will beat her when she does.

Hang in there, Sori.:hug: You can turn it around.

#504 ·

Sori has absolutely no confidence anymore :sad: Very similar to the previous match with Safarova, Sori looked beaten from the start. Her body language was real bad and her facial expressions more sad than anything else. She started out nervous, lost the first set no contest, then had no option than to go for her shots and make things happen. But as soon as she looked to have a chance, she panicked, didn't know what to do and lost it again.

Really hard to break out of her slump like this. I just hope for a little luck in the USO draw :angel:

#508 ·

Oooo, but I get to see Her Royal Highness The Queen of Inconsistency in person. Am quite honored by this and will consider looking for some valium to get me through the match. Booze available on the premises might not be enough.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.