Tennis Forum banner

Mutua Madrid Open 2012-Blue clay what?Serena who? Bring on the real clay!

47K views 833 replies 84 participants last post by  madmax 
#1 · (Edited)

Last Year's result:
R1: Def. Arantxa Rus 2-6 6-3 6-2
R2: Def. Ekaterina Makarova 6-3 3-6 6-1
R3: Lost to Dominika Cibulkova 5-7 4-6

2012 Results:
R1: Def. Irina-Camelia Begu 6-0 6-3
R2: Def. Klara Zakopalova 6-4 6-3
R3: Def. Safarova W/O
QFs v/s Serena Williams/Caroline Wozniacki.

Career W/L at Madrid: 4/2
Best performance at Madrid: QFs(2012)

See less See more
#793 ·
I've read somewhere that Masha's coach encouraged her to forget who she was playing - and that says it all - Even her coach recognized that Masha isn't the same when she's playing Serena and vice verse and the H2H 2-8 basically tells the whole story between these 2 - I've no idea when it all started - Maybe as early as in the AO 2007

Let's hope that these 2 will be drawn in different halves the near by tournaments (FO - Wimbledon) so that Masha at least has a chance to reach the final and that someone else is able to take out Serena until then

To all of you who criticize Masha - trust me - she'll play well against any other opponent - Serena is like a curse - it makes Masha weak for some reason - It's easy to criticize - but I can tell you that it's difficult to fight demons

#795 ·
These stats :facepalm:
I had a feeling it would be difficult for Maria to win this match but I didn't expect she would lose so badly. But I'm staying optimistic for the future, I believe Maria's best chance to defeat Serena is on red clay the way she is playing on red clay for the last couple of years. But I am a bit less optimistic after today's match, looks like Maria has some sort of mental issues when she plays Serena :help:

#798 ·
With the way she has been serving in Stuttgart I can understand that some Masha fans believed that it would be a battle but God she was so pathetic, I watched the match an hour ago and her serve was nowhere near from what I saw in Stuttgart final the flat one was non existent :rolleyes: she went on Serena's FH so many times that Serena wasn't even surprised and could hit those huge returns.
Serve needs to be hit harder than that to compete over Rena but you guys already know that.

#799 ·
Y'all should stop whining over what Masha could have done to win that match - Geeeezzz - it's all water under the bridge now - Get over it and move on - Dwelling over this loss is unhealthy and doesn't serve any purpose - It's not like Masha is watching us and read all these good advises :lol:

#800 ·
Maria :hug:

Caroline enjoyed the challenge, Maria on the other hand seemed intimidated by Serena :awww:

Impressive performance from Serena. She had the better serve and more power than Maria, especially with her forehand. Played really attacking tennis. Very strong first set. And her serve was on fire. Stuttgart being indoors suits Maria a lot more than Madrid. And the talking about "Maria has won French Open already" in GM from some stupid posters has to stop!

#806 ·
The losing streak to Vika was bound to end because Pova plays her often. What makes matters worse with The Part Timer is how seldom they play. Pova had opportunities in the second set and she and Hogg can work on making them opportunities TAKEN. But not if they don't play again until 2014!

Serena is the only player that Pova loses to before the match starts. I think Hogg can help her with that.

#808 ·
The losing streak to Vika was bound to end because Pova plays her often. What makes matters worse with The Part Timer is how seldom they play. Pova had opportunities in the second set and she and Hogg can work on making them opportunities TAKEN. But not if they don't play again until 2014!
Exactly what I was thinking. Her chance to win is much much higher if they could play each other more often.

#809 ·
A good thing about being out of Madrid is that Pova will not be injured by the odd surface.

The Madrid tournament is a one off oddball surface and there is no real benefit for getting good on it. She is in a bind this year with two Zero tournament already, but next year, she should save room for taking a Zero in Madrid. Especially since the owner has repeatedly expressed his desire to make even more of a clown show out of it.

This guy is a bad matchup for tennis. He isn't interested in tennis, he is interested in stroking his EGO by having a unique and bizare event in his Gotham Stadium. The idea of being a warmup event to RG must turn him blue with envy!

Yeah, I wouldn't be upset if Pova planned a headache for the Madrid tournament, at least next year.

#819 ·
For the most part it's just chest thumping baboons. There are a few well deserved skewers, some expressions of astonishment at how easy it was and an occassional sympathy post.

Overall, about what one could expect going the other way had Pova won. It's difficult to underestimate the classlessness of the two fan bases.

#824 ·
Lots of chest thumping about Vika's massacre today. At 268 posts and increasing, I didn't find one sensible thing said! What really makes me sad is that I no longer have confidence that Pova fans would act any better. Some would, many even. But there are a whole hell of a lot of them who would post inappropriately.

There is simply no doubt that Serenka is the most gifted athlete and ball striker ever to play women's tennis. Simply no doubt. But the way she has conducted herself on court and off over the years has been appalling. In spite of her considerable ball striking skills and all the titles she has won, I don't consider her a Champion. She has none of the special qualities associated in my mind with the word "Champion". She is an egomaniacal, nasty, mean-hearted, selfish narcissist lacking integrity and honesty. But she can certainly hit a tennis ball! That she does very well.

#827 ·
Lots of chest thumping about Vika's massacre today. At 268 posts and increasing, I didn't find one sensible thing said! What really makes me sad is that I no longer have confidence that Pova fans would act any better. Some would, many even. But there are a whole hell of a lot of them who would post inappropriately.
True Words!!!

It's mostly the case with GM result threads these days...And also true about some maria fans! *looks at madmax, doomsday and abesky*

#825 ·
Nevertheless - Every time Masha is meeting Serena - we can expect a loss - Fortunately Serena is on the other half this time - but comes the FO - or Wimbledon - it could be different and they could meet in the semis for example - It's really frustrating to know that ONE player is superior to Masha

#830 ·
just said on twitter and I mean it. Hope Maria wins rome and I'll be rooting for her to do it.

#831 ·
What annoyed me more than anything was the mental aspect. Even if she was being pummelled she should have screamed and bitchstared Serena til the last ball. Also they should have noted how serena constantly served out wide to the backhand despite Masha brainlessly moving to FH every time. Also Masha's kickers out wide will be much more effective on real clay but you serve down the T to Rena the majority of the time.
Agree that focus should be on holding, cus once the balls in play she has more than enough ammo to beat Rena. However she needs to be there mentally to do any of this.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.