Tennis Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

** Masha News and Articles! ** Vol. 2

490K views 5K replies 229 participants last post by  jameshazza 
#1 ·
Hi everyone :wavey:

Thought maybe we could use a thread here to post all the news, interviews, and articles we find on Masha. :)

I just got my new Tennis Week magazine and Maria is on the cover again (she was also on the March cover). :eek:

If they haven't been posted already, I'll scan in the pics and article and post them here later.

#1,204 ·
But Spiffy, that's not the point. One tournament IS enough, but the point is that Sydney has a way, way stronger field than Auckland, and it would be much better for Maria to get a taste on what kind of competition she is going to face at the Australian Open. She is a three time grand slam winner for god sake's. She needs to grow up and realize that she can't keep on playing the lower tier tournaments to get a couple of cheap wins under her belt, which won't get her ranking high enough to avoid Clijsters, Wozniacki or Henin in the fourth round of a grand slam. It's what happened all of last year, and it turned out to be an absolute disaster. If she were smart, she would have played in Sydney instead. But as usual, she chooses to play in a tournament filled with juniors so she can get a cheap tournament win under her belt. And then, by the time a grand slam comes, she comes up short against Li Na or Wozniacki in the fourth round. I want to support her but it's just getting more and more absurd. She has only made one grand slam quarterfinal since the 2008 Australian Open, and that is a horrible statistic. She came back in May 2009, it's 2011 now, if she can't find her form this year then it is worrying. She should be back in the top ten by now.

#1,207 ·
Couldn't agree more the seeding is very important cos why play with cijsters or serena in the ofurth round of a slam instead of playing a semi final.also it is important with other tournaments bt slams,she won't lose in early rounds,because there the seeds meet earlier than in a grand slam

#1,205 ·
This is not the crap I want to see at the start of the year. Okay 2010 was awful, but let's leave it behind us now. :shrug:
It's not her ranking that let her down in the slams, her seeding wouldn't make one fucking difference if she just plays up to her potential against the top players. She should wipe the floor with all these wannabes if she's in good form. The ranking will come after that.

#1,206 ·
@mashafan:You're forgetting that this is Maria's career, not yours. :lol: She has always felt comfortable not playing a tournament right before a grand slam; this year she is taking a slight different route and playing a smaller tournament. Maria's trying her hardest to reproduce her old results, there's not much more we should expect of her.

#1,209 ·
BREAKING: Sharapova Signs with HEAD, to debut official line in Auckland on Monday

By Matthew Cronin, ********************

JAN. 1 2011- Maria Sharapova will announce a new deal with HEAD rackets on Monday, ******************** has learned. The five-year deal is similar to that she had with Prince, somewhere in the range of $2 million annually. Sharapova will have her own signature line of rackets with HEAD, as well as a junior racket line.

The former No. 1 announced a couple of weeks ago that she had ended her 10-year relationship with Prince. She has been play testing her new racket since early November.

Sharapova is scheduled to play Spaniard Carla Suarez Navarro in the first round of Auckland. If the top seed wins the match, she will not accept a wild card into the next week’s tournament in Sydney, as she’s figuring that getting at least two matches in Auckland will be enough before she heads to Melbourne for the Australian Open, where she won her last major in 2008. -MC

The journalist, Matt Cronin has announced that Maria Sharapova has signed with Head and will make an official debut with her new racquet in Aucklan.

The five-year deal is similar to that she had with Prince, somewhere in the range of $2 million annually. Sharapova will have her own signature line of rackets with HEAD, as well as a junior racket line.

More news

Sharapova is scheduled to play Spaniard Carla Suarez Navarro in the first round of Auckland. If the top seed wins the match, she will not accept a wild card into the next week’s tournament in Sydney.

Sharapova to announce deal with Head racquets

Email
Print
Subscribe

Reported on January 01, 2011

Maria Sharapova will announce that she has signed a new racquet endorsement deal with Head, reports ********************. The contract was estimated to be worth $2 million a year.

Sharapova, who has been playing with a blacked-out racquet for several months, recently announced the end of her 10-year relationship with Prince racquets.

#1,214 ·
please get over it.

maria will never play sydney.

#1,217 ·
Some were worried that she would play so much that she would be out of gas for the ao. Now some are worried that she will not play enough, or play against not tough enough players.

What can I do? I can be glad every time I get to see her play. She knows more about what she is doing than I do.

#1,218 ·
Last year she played against Venus and Caroline (in exhibitions) and won, but lost in the first round of the AO anyway. It's better to have some real competitive matches than exhibition matches IMO, no matter what the competition is, so, I for one I’m thrilled she chose to play Auckland.

Seeing as the only bigger tournament before the AO is Sydney the week before you can't blame Maria for playing a MM event. That's also something she only does when there aren't any bigger events to play, maybe except Memphis last year, which she won by the way.

Her ranking isn't so low because she's played a couple of MM events, her ranking is low because she hasn't performed better in the important events. Although I have to say her Grand Slam draws have been unfortunate to say the least.

PS: Almost no player is able to play that many tournaments without being tired anymore, not just Maria. The ones that do either lose early in every single one, or are players that will face a burnout after a couple of years.

#1,221 ·
Maybe you are misinformed. Hong Kong is not the reason she lost in the 1st round of the Australian Open last year. She played Hong Kong in 2008, and lost in the final to Venus and then won the Australian Open right after. Why she lost in the 1st round of the Australian Open is another subject altogether. My point is she can't keep on doing well in these international tournaments. As a three-time grand slam winner, former World No. 1 she is expected to go the biggest events and go deep in them, not suffer one embarrasing loss after another.

#1,223 ·
^ Well your scale of being demanding is different to others.
Shoulder injuries are well hard to totally erase. She might have overplayed in her junior days because she showed so much early promise. In any case stop putting the media and Maria in same boat. They are not 'two peas in a pod' as my countrymen would say!

#1,224 ·
her shoulder injury halted her progression though, she had won the AO and Doha in 2008 played GREAT at the Fed Cup vs Israel then went to Indian Wells tore her tendon but played for months b4 doing anything. if if she had a leg injury she could have recovered better i think but it's her shoulder of the arm she swings with, she will always be weary of it :sobbing:

#1,226 ·
before critisizing her actually wait until she at least plays her first tournament of 2011 she says she's working hard yes but then you can't say that saying it and getting good results on the court is different just yet as she hasn't even played her first match of 2011

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.