Tennis Forum banner

YEC 2012 iSTANBUL Mission: Beat Vika/Rena, humiliate Haga and win the title.

73K views 1K replies 93 participants last post by  Abuttons 
#1 ·
I have no idea how she'll do here. Here's hoping for an easy group.

#437 ·
Looking at all possible opponents, including the SF and F opponents, here's my thoughts on them.

Errani: Should and probably needs to be easy.
Radwanska: Could be difficult, but Maria should handle it, no matter how well Radwanska plays.
Kvitova: Could turn out to be the most difficult from her group, since this is indoors.

Serena: Not a chance, esepcially because it's indoors, that will only make Serena's serve faster, and give Maria less time off the ground.
Azarenka: I feel the indoors conditions could favor Maria here, like it did at Stuttgart, because she doesn't have to worry about the wind affecting her serve.

#441 ·
A first round bye :oh:

just joking, lets get this off to a good start :yeah:
rena already has a chance to seek revenge and i really want to see the aga/petra match considering aga's burn out and petras sporadic form. masha's got the easiest match of the day IMO but that was inevitable when Errani's in your group :spit:

#448 ·
Tuesday, October 23, 2012

Stadium (from 17.00hrs)
1. Agnieszka Radwanska vs. Petra Kvitova
2. Serena Williams vs. Angelique Kerber
3. Maria Sharapova vs. Sara Errani

#449 ·
Isn't it pretty much a given that Maria would play Serena in the semis? These tournaments are always set up to have #1 play #2 in the final. Since Vika and Maria are the top two, Maria can't play her in the semis. And that only leaves Serena.

So, basically, this would be the greatest accomplishment and title in Maria's career, by far, because she'd have to defeat Serena and Vika back to back. Assuming things unfold the way I think they will.

This post has been deleted
#460 ·
So true! Losing to Serena is like losing to one of the GOATS! So no shame in that, even though I'd love to see Maria win a couple more games! :sobbing: Serena is gifting sets away to Vika and Radwanska.. why can't she give one to Maria too? :hysteric:

#461 ·
Maria has the opportunity to put a seal of glory to a season that's been very satisfying but where she's suffered a few unneeded disappointments. She can definitely make it to the Semis, but I really hope she plays her best and wins her group to have some better chances (perhaps.....) to get to the last stage.

#465 ·
Just saw the draw :yeah:. We got Haga in her group so that's a good thing. And what's also a good thing is that she's playing Errani first. A win to start her campaign here would be awesome. She has the mental edge over Kvitova this year so I think that Maria has a pretty good chance to go 3-0 in her group.

#467 ·
I'm really looking forward to her first match tomorrow, with no expectations of her getting past the Semis. In many ways this has been Maria's best and most disappointing seasons, but I remain hopeful that she will find something special within herself against Vika this tournament (assuming she finishes second in her group to Serena and Maria finishes #1). Obviously we will need a miracle should she face Serena, but hey, an off day is possible and if Maria beats Vika she'll hopefully have a confidence boost. I don't know. I'm just happy we get to see Maria play a few more matches this year :).

#468 ·
Will most likely miss her match tomorrow. :sad:
So few matches left this season too.

All the best Maria for this tournament, sure there have been a lot of disappointments but some unforgettable moments that go beyond standom, I'll never forget that clay court run. Heninesque. :inlove:

Errani is a good first opponent, she can afford to be a little rusty here. No disrespect to Errani and I always hope for Maria to bring her best, but Maria's worst tennis should get the job done here in 3 or 2 tight sets.

#478 ·

#484 ·
I predict:

Masha to beat Errani
Masha to beat Petra
Aga to beat Errani
Petra to beat Errani

then it's 50/50 between Masha vs Aga. I bet they'll both go to the SF, I just hope its Masha who goes 3-0 up
I'm afraid that if Petra keeps playing like that Errani has a very good chance to get the win. :sobbing:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.