Tennis Forum banner

Ranking Watch

49K views 652 replies 74 participants last post by  kwilliams 
#1 · (Edited)
Where's my old ranking thread gone?

Anyway, with Dementieva's loss today Venus is a shoe in to get back into the top 5.

Here are the current ranking points with each player's performance at last year's AO and the points they won.

Serena 9,195 (W/2000)
Safina 7,600 (F/1400) 6,480
Kuznetsova 6,081 (QF/500) 5,801
Wozniacki 5,875 (3RD/160) 5,995
Dementieva: 5,505 (SF/900) 4,705
Venus: 5,126 (2nd/100)
Azarenka: 4,740 (4th/280)
Jankovic: 3,965 (4th/280)
Zvonareva: 3,560 (SF/900)
Radwanska: 3,450 (1st/5)
Bartoli: 3,325 (QF/500)

Of course most of the players behind Venus could only take her spot by going extremely deep (with Venus losing early) and some need to win the whole thing and it's unlikely that some would win the AO...but you never know. Zvonareva can't overtake Venus even with a win down under.

So, Dementieva is down 800 points because GS results are mandatory. Venus will pass her in the rankings and it'll take a big effort from one of the players behind Venus to get into the top 5 ahead of her. Let's hope Venus can go deep in Melbourne.

As for doubles Venus and Serena have 2,000 points to defend and Bluber only have 500 points to defend. So Venus and Serena can't catch them here and will have to work hard to keep the gap at 1,200 points.

See less See more
#39 ·
watched the last two sets of schiavone match. nothing new or insightful, but one point worth emphasizing:

MOVE FORWARD PLEASE.

God, this woman is stubborn. Even when the answer is staring her right in her face.

Now this is Venus playing at her best: moving in to close out the point. When she is doing that, she is hard to beat, by anyone (so damn annoyed at that thread in GM--promise to stay away for that place, really!) Not getting overly invested, but can't tell you all how much I want Venus to win this tournament beating Justine and Serena in the process!

#40 ·
Imagine Venus beating Serena and Justine just 1 sec...OMG the haters would be destroyed forever :hearts:

#45 ·
Venus is --
800 points behind Safina
300 points behind Svetlana
300 points behind Wozniacki

Venus just needs to defend SFs in Miami and Rome
Wozniacki Finals in P5+Manda
Svetlana W in Stuttgart+FO
Safina W in Manda+Rome+Finals in Stuttgart

Gosh im excited!

Wimbledon would be stupid if they dont put the Williams 1+2 in their Championships!!

#51 ·
IW and Miami points in bold.

Serena Williams 8645 0 - 700
Dinara Safina 6480 250 - 80
Svetlana Kuznetsova 5930 5 - 450
Caroline Wozniacki 5925 250 - 250
Venus Williams 5626 0 - 450
Vera Azarenka 5300 450 - 1000

So, Venus is within 300 points of Wozniacki and Kuznetsova and they all have between 450 and 500 points to defend until after Miami.

#53 ·
giving her Miami win she will have
5626+550(though i think Rankin points increased this year)=6176

that would require safina to lose before the quarters in 2 tournaments
kuznetsova to not reach beyond the quarters

and for venus not to beat herself

#57 ·
looking further ahead... she only have like Wimbledon F to defend...
another Final in Stanford/YEC...
early loses in Premiers+Beijing...

she could earn more point in the YEC
especially after losing 2 times in RR

fact is...
Safina defended her clay points from 2008 to 2009...
only surprise last year was Kuznetsova playing GOAT clay tennis
and Serena choking...

#58 ·
Next week will mark Vee's 500th week in the Top 10!!!

:bowdown: (And Lena's 300th).

Pretty damned impressive and something to :aparty:.

Reactions: vw.
#67 ·
well Kuzzie needs to definitely be booted out of the top 3 the way she's playing. Dinara is injured, so I'll cut her some slack. Caroline, a slight fav, but she needs to be pushed right out of the top four, too. Unlike others, I think she deserves a place in the top 10 though.

Venus should be in the top 4 based on the year thus far. She is number two spot based on the race for the championship.

We all know that she is #1, but does she?

#68 ·
Current points from TBE thread
Serena - 8645
Safina - 6230
Sveta - 5930
Caro - 5815
Venus - 5626

Well Kuzzy has a Miami SF to defend, Caro has QF to defend (same for IW), Dinara has R3 to defend. Kuzzy and Safina then have a butt load to defend during the clay. Caro has about 700 to defend during the clay (depends which are in her best 16). Venus is bound to get back to #2. If Venus wins Miami, she could be #2 as long as Caro and Sveta don't do better then their results.

#70 ·
It's a shame about Dinara, her back injury has been lingering since last year and she was playing so well at the AO until it started hurting again.

The fact she may not be able to defend her clay court points, is just saddening even for a non fan.

As a Venus fan, I hated how her ranking would plummet because she didn't play enough, as opposed to actually playing and losing points; similar to what Dinara may go through.

The good thing about Dinara IMHO, is that even when she played bad she still had a tendency to win against players not named Williams. I mean, look at the recent results of Kim, Sharapova, Justine etc.

Hope this injury doesn't affect Dinara too much, that she isn't her old self when she finally hits the courts.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.