Tennis Forum banner

Petra Kvitova News and Articles

377K views 4K replies 148 participants last post by  czerwony ptak 
#1 ·
Since she's all famous and stuff, we should post all interesting articles in here. :lol:

http://espn.go.com/espnw/news-opinion/6732836/wimbledon-petra-kvitova-new-star-born

In Petra Kvitova, a new star is born
Jul 2 | By Sandra Harwitt

Petra Kvitova is not the type of individual who seeks attention. She's kind of shy about her achievements.

But after defeating Maria Sharapova 6-3, 6-4 on Saturday for the Wimbledon title, she can't escape being famous.

"I'm so tired," Kvitova told about 10 journalists receiving some extra time with the champion after she did her main news conference and TV interviews. "I know it will change. I don't know what it will be [like] in [her native] Czech Republic."

When asked if she ever had a desire to be famous, the 21-year-old struggled to answer the question.
"I mean, it's part of being a tennis player, being famous," she eventually said. "So when I won Wimbledon, I had to agree [with it]."

One sign of that fame is being added to the Wimbledon Wall of Champions, which is located within the inner sanctum of the All England Club. The new champion's name -- clear and bold in gold lettering -- is put in its rightful spot even before the trophy ceremony on Centre Court is concluded.

Kvitova was able to watch the procedure when it was shown on the Centre Court scoreboard. Whether she's ready or not, Kvitova knew it was just another sign of her burgeoning stardom.

"When I was sitting on the court after the match I saw it [happening] on the TV," Kvitova said. "It was strange."

See less See more
#1,717 ·
All this talk about Lendl got me thinking about a TV commercial he did many years ago(can't recall for what product);to ME,he wasn't annoying but he lacked charisma in front of the camera and he came off as sort of dorky:lol:....so you all convinced me that he and Petra are somewhat similar in that respect.I can't say how confident Petra is when she's speaking Czech,yet I remember how some Rafa fans tried to rationalize some of his embarrassing press work,a few years back,by chalking all of it up to the language barrier...except Rafa isn't too eloquent in Spanish,either:lol:.....Maybe Petra is quite erudite in her native tongue(I wouldn't be the one to judge that);however,she had me hearkening back to her legendary countryman just now

#1,723 · (Edited)
You got to be kidding me.

I didn't read the article, but I'm assuming he's another Cernosek pick?

What's up with these folks? Are they trying to be like some sort of inbred Tennis-Prostojev family or something?....

Petra dates Adam. Lucie Dates Tomas. Lucie dates the Pysio guy? SMH. At least Tomas broke the cycle by dating the model (though it's still corny, done all the time for a Tennis player to date one). :lol:

Unless she knows and I likes him, If I was Petra, I wouldn't want any Psysio that dated Lucie Safarova on General Principle alone. Now I know Petra may not had made/wanted this pick. :tape: Why him? :eek:

PS: And once again, Cernosek spends almost half a year on a search, just to ended picking someone in his Network. Why so long?

This wasn't no damn search, he already knew he wanted pick. And no I didn't research the guy, but if I was Petra I wouldn't want to work with a guy dated my teammate Safarova.

Maybe this guys a predator/vulture (don't know or care what age he is)? It just sounds so weird. Out of all the people I can pick in this world to work with me, and I pick Safarova's ex boyfriend. :scratch: :oh: :scratch:

Well, I'm assuming he's not an old geezer like the others. :oh: SMH

#1,731 ·
I'm not even going to comment on him (and that picture) regarding their relationship Paulmara. I'll keep it strictly tennis.

This is what's wrong with Cernosek's inbred formula for Petra (and why she needs to leave or exert more control as soon as possible), why in the hell would I want Safarova's former Pysio guy in the first place? Forget the dating aspect for a second. What has she ever done? Is that all you can come up with Milos? :help:

And if he didn't work with Safarova and just dated her (as I've discussed) that can be equally as bad and awkward. :unsure:

I guess Cernosek read us complain about Crusty Czech Cronies for Petra, so now he got her a Young Cernosek Crony. OK. :lol:

#1,742 · (Edited)
Of course, we all thought about this as well. :lol: :oh: :lol:

But does it really matter? The fact that he can date Lucie Safarova (no matter how they met), means he could date Kvitova as well (in theory). Though Kvityy's younger, their still in the same relative age group.

And of course, if he started dating Safarova--after working with her, then this pick is even worse than it looks on the surface. It just doesn't look professional.

Also, remember these are all Protojev's foks; so they blur the lines of personal and professional, since they're around each other so often at times. Sometimes I joke--Cernosek encourages it, to keep them all in the fold. :lol:

These folks are just crazy. What ever happened to INDEPENDENCE!? :shrug:

#1,741 ·
Why can't a wrestler be a physio coach?

He can be both, especially after a failed wrestling career.

If this is the case, it just makes the pick even more worse than it looks. And that's just on the professional side.

On the personal side, if I'm Petra, why would I want someone that used to date Safarova? :facepalm:

Weird. :eek:

Like I said, Cernosek's organization is just one big INBRED MESS!!!

#1,740 ·
:facepalm:

Why, though?

(Also, re leaving the CR, I don't know that even someone who was very passionate about tennis would speak up to their team about leaving their beloved country. It seems more the type of thing that would have to be suggested by someone else in order for it to happen - and obviously nobody that Cernosek installs is going to do that.)

#1,745 ·
If he was Lucie's physio coach when they used to date, heck i'm fine with this cause Lucie is in perfect psychical shape but i have to admit, i was expecting more 'famous' name from Tennis circuit.

btw, part about Petra playing Sydney after Brisbane is 'worrying sign' only to me?

#1,746 ·
I don't care what Lucie looked like (it could be all genetic by the way), her results were always bad to disappointing.

Plus, if we hold Lucie to the same standard so many of us do here for Petra; she obviously wasn't in very good condition because she plays an even more high risk game than Kvitova. Continuing with this logic, if Safarova was truly "in shape", she would know how to rally longer and wait for her opportunities, than make so many bone head decisions and plays.

Petra is much better than Safarova in this respect. So once again, having Safarova's Fitness guy is not really saying much. As a matter of fact, it's quite a disappointment, on any level.

As far as Sydney and Brisbane, I really didn't think about it much, cause I was still in shock, that this guy was all that Cernosek could come up with after such a long search. SMH

#1,764 ·
Very disappointing interview for those who want Petra to become No. 1 and multiple grand slam champion. The girl is much more humble and sober and less ambitious then some fans may want her to be.

A few comments on the upcoming season:

I don't think about breaking into TOP3
I want to win some tournament
I hope that my successes will continue and that I'll repeat the last season
I will play FedCup against Australia, then we'll see
It's great that early in the season I won't be flooded with 'When will you be No. 1?' questions like last year

BTW, during the Fed Cup final, Petra said 'I'm satisfied with my season, my results were more stable, less ups and downs'

As mac47 once said, Petra never believed in her own hype. She just wants to play her best tennis, without setting any specific goals. If it's enough to win slams, then great, if not, no problem for her either and life will go on. She has $10 million in the bank and has already won the biggest individual tournament, the biggest team tournament and was voted player of the year.

:lol:

#1,766 · (Edited)
My opinion is that in that interview (published under tenisforum.cz) she only wanted to soften big expectations (unfortunately) not met in Petra's last season. At the end of the 2011 season, everybody expected her to become the new world no. 1 which did not happen. Now she is trying to choose some "slighter" words while being asked about her current season and achievements to come. Should there occur some big result (Grand Slam or YEC winer), she can say then - "really not expected but am so glad to win this" than "I really wanted to win that title as mentioned sooner but ..." - in case she's gonna burn out there. Being that much self-confident neednt often be the best attitude. Isn't it Petra's modesty and sweetnes why she became so popular with many tennis fans worldwide?

#1,765 ·
Wait a munute, I thought the issue was her entourage, not the Czech republic as a whole :lol:

Cause if you guys are suggesting that Petra should somehow move to the US or something like that, then I disagree. The last thing we need is one more cookie cutter from the Florida school. And I'm not convinced that that is the solution to Petra's current predicament.

Moving to somewhere like Prague would be more than enough for her to keep and advance her career in the right direction.

#1,769 · (Edited)
Correct it's the entourage.

But one of our posters were saying that the current Czech Republic has many talented players who really can't win much, and maybe it's because they rely almost exclusively on the Cernosek/Czech tennis Network.

It may be good for Petra to leave the Czech Republic more so for the good weather. That conversation came up, cause one of the Czech posters were worried about Petra (who's in a very cold Czech Republic region now) getting sick practicing indoors, then proceeding outdoors after.

Petra doesn't have to go to American or any Big European Academies (cause she's already a Grand Slam, YEC and Fed Cup Champion). She just needs to have access to the world best people, and not the just the ones in the Czech Republic if there are better options elsewhere.

#1,775 ·
To re-assure any proud,Czech fans here,I don't think that anyone intends to put down the CR as being some backward nation that can't produce winners;it's probably more of a concern that,as long as Petra's close to home,she'll never cut the strings held by the Czech mafia stooge,Dr.Pikola,the Pyle brothers,and El Orinon Enmascarado.However,if she just listens more to respected Czech legends,that'll probably spark some productive ideas within her

#1,777 ·
Hey, over in GM there is a "Predict the Top 8 of 2013" thread and I was surprised to see the amount of people who have Petra in the top 3...not because I don't think she's capable of getting there or staying there, but because somehow, even after a 'disappointing' year in which she fell 6 places, a lot of people still expect her to get to at least the top 3 next year. I guess 2012 was widely assumed to be a sophomore slump...

#1,778 ·
That's cause they don't know how crappy her support personnel is like we do. :lol:

It's that, or they feel Petra's good enough to overcome her wayward band of misfits controlled by the Evil Sith of The Dark Side--Lord Cernosek of Prostojev! :lol: :eek: :lol:

And believe it or not, Petra has a lot of fans on GM. They're just waiting for her to play well again to show their faces and support again.

Just remember Slutiana's last post ("Petra has to fulfill her side of the bargain by actually winning shit occasionally"), when discussing Petra's PR activity? Yup Yup!!

#1,780 ·
Petra has a good h2h vs. Aga anyways. :) I don't think it would be too difficult for her to get to #4 with good showings in her AO warm ups. Ugh, you know, I'm a fan of Maria, but if there could be a rematch of that semifinal at this year's AO... :p

#1,783 ·
You Czechs could speak a lot more authoritatively,of course,but I'm wondering if this 'Extraliga' is an event where there's LOTS of interaction between players and fans,patriotism,and camaraderie between players from the same country.......if it's the sort of thing where Petra would be seen as 'less Czech',sort of arrogant or an outsider for not playing.If that's the case,then I can understand why Petra would feel compelled to play;however,if it only attracts lukewarm interest amongst fans....as with soccer in the U.S.--where there are more Mexicans than Americans at the matches--then she should be satisfied with playing FC

#1,785 ·
It's because:

1) It's a Cernosenk event

2) He REALLY wants her to play it.

3) Petra's too nice and gracious; while Cernosenk is too greedy and myopic (i.e. short term, short sighted view and viewpoints).

4) Once playing, Petra's competitive spirit and National pride come into the mix (like last years finals vs Hrdecka where she got hurt).

5) Based off of what I hear from some of the Czech Brethren here, it's really not THAT big of a deal per se (though it could be to a scrub like Lucie H., playing someone like Kvitova in a final there). However, even if it was, its still PRE PRE Season in the Czech Republic and therefore should be treated like practice (unless you're already in good physical condition and tennis shape for further exertion) for a "top player" like Petra.

Last year Lucie was farther along in her tennis playing at the time than Petra and Kvitova--unfortunately got caught up in the moment, and hurt. This is one of the several reasons why Petra's association with the Cernosenk Cabal is an ass backwards relationship, as far as I'm concerned. Too much control/hands in the cookie jar.

Petronius seems to regard Extraliga as a big deal though. Last year he seemed really excited that Lucie H. beat Petra and gave it/her all relevance, pomp & ceremony, and kudos here. :lol: I on the other hand and some others (with all respect to the Czech posse), couldn't care less, cause we could see the bigger picture and goals for Petra.

Note: I apologize to the Czech Posse for any incorrect spellings.

#1,786 ·
I really don't see this event as a problem. Many of Petra's competitors will be playing in similar offseason events, like the Milan thing and the top 3 now at the Brazilian shaving exhibition :)oh:). Petra is close to home, so has no loss of time to travelling. She's been training for a few weeks now, so no reason why she shouldn't be in good enough shape.

#1,789 ·
PS: Shifty, guys: I meant to say "Paulmara" earlier, on our "resident Reporter and record compiler" statement on Petra's Physio preparation.

I think when Paulmara answered that (and who ever referred to it first), mean that there would be no serious training or extended training to start the new season, as usual. I don't know. :shrug:

Hey Shifty: You summarized the issue with Extraliga very well. Nothing else to say. :yeah:

#1,792 ·
We'll have to find out which U.S. city has the strongest Czech community,and then we'll let Petra serve as honorary cheerleader:hearts: for one of the NFL games there....This assumes that it's not some dead-end place like Allentown,PA that has the tightest Czech community:lol:

#1,801 ·
Celebrities always have weird narcissism complexes too. Perhaps it has something to do with being known mainly for your looks. ;)

Petronius said:
But please don't get injured while doing so.
No kidding. I am so torn as to whether I should think of 2012 as the 'sophomore slump/figuring things out' year, or if I should really be nervous for 2013 and expect it to go just like this year...

#1,806 ·
No kidding. I am so torn as to whether I should think of 2012 as the 'sophomore slump/figuring things out' year, or if I should really be nervous for 2013 and expect it to go just like this year...
I guess we won't know for sure, until another 3 years. :eek: :lol: :eek:

Hopefully, we'll find out a lot sooner--meaning she'll be playing an an elite level again. However, like you alluded to, there's so much going on, beside the requisite transitional/adjustment year. :eek:

We'll see?

#1,811 · (Edited)
13th

http://www.tenisovaextraliga.cz/

Check the Liberec roster, they have Pironkova :lol:

It's also funny that the sister of 1996 Wimbledon champ Richard Krajicek is listed as a Czech (she's fluent in both Dutch and Czech) to comply with the maximum of three foreigners in a team :lol:

BTW, shame that Radwanska and Cetkovska are on the same team and can't play against each other ;)