Tennis Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Return Winner: The Laura Robson support thread.

Tags
#sluts gif
465K views 5K replies 158 participants last post by  miffedmax 
#1 · (Edited)
Since the old thread has gone over the 5,000 post limit, I figure that it needs to be replaced by a shiny new one. So here it is.

Achievements Pre-injury:
  • Olympic mixed doubles silver medal (w/ Andy Murray)
  • Singles semi final - Palermo 2012
  • Grand Slam 4th round - US Open 2012, Wimbledon 2013
  • Defeated Kim Clijsters in her final singles match
  • Singles Final - Guangzhou 2012
  • WTA Newcomer of the year 2012

Achievements - Post Comeback:
  • Singles Championship: ITF 25,000 Landisville
  • Doubles Championship: ITF 25,000 Landisville (W/ Freya Christie)
  • Qualifier US Open 2016

#689 ·
Re: Laura Robson: The Silver Medal Years 2012-

The Observer: Laura Robson aims at top-10 ranking thanks to Andy Murray factor

For that kind of success Croft believes those early competitions will be crucial. "She's got to try to get good draws, put herself up against the best in the world but mix it with lower tournaments to keep the confidence going." What kind of impression will she make on 2013? "I think she's on a roll at the moment. I think she's now a player that lots of people, if they draw her, will fear. That's what she's done, she's created that aura around herself. It's really exciting."
So, now they're openly admitting the draws are rigged.:silly:

I suppose Annabel would say she was talking about lifting the ranking to get a seeding and guarantee avoiding the best players in the first rounds.

#695 ·

I wonder why Laura is still in China. Wouldn't it be preferable to play in Australia, Auckland or Brisbane?
All the best for 2013.
Three potential reasons:

1) Money: Shenzhen is a 500K event, not a 235K. It makes some financial sense to go there instead.
2) Nostalgia: Asia is where she had her best run to date in Guangzhou. She might feel that the court in Shenzhen favours her more than the Aussie courts.
3) Weaker draw: The cutoff to get into Shenzhen is 102, Auckland's is in the 70s and Brisbane is a premier where most of the top 10 is playing.

Essentially, Shenzhen is where she has the greatest chance of seeing the best possible return on the investment of flying out there.

#696 ·
#705 ·

Not to be for Laura in Shenzhen this year, too many unforced errors and she couldn't really get in a rhythm. She didn't return very well and Niculescu played smartly, keeping in the rallies with patience. Ah well, on to Hobart. 6-2 6-4 :sad:

#709 ·

As someone said in GM 'Some players can handle junk and other's can't.' and in Laura's case- she can't handle it at all!

Onto Hobart :cheer:

#711 ·

Hard luck Laura! It;s not like she had anything to defend anyway. Good Luck in Hobart!
Does anyone know if she will be seeded in Hobart or not?

#713 ·

Didn't see the match but I imagine Niculescu is the sort of player to show up Laura's inexperience. It's key for Laura's coach to help her understand why her game was neutralised here so she can learn how to beat players of this type in the future.

#716 ·

The scoreline wasn't actually that bad, especially on Laura's serve. Her serve stats are well above what they usually are, second serve aside. She just had no clue what to do with Niculescu's serve. Normally, Laura can put pressure on her opponent with her groundstrokes on the return. But here? Nothing.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.