Status
Not open for further replies.

Off Topic....Anything Goes vol3

248K views 5K replies 100 participants last post by  James 
#1 ·
Free at last, free at last, thank God almighty Im free at last...:bigcry:

ummm, to dramatic :confused:

ok then :bounce:

(just thought we needed something like this if some of us don't want to venture out into the main forum, by the way, do we already have a thread like this? Sorry if we do)

iPhone jailbreaking (and all cell phone unlocking) made legal

Owners of iPhones and other smartphones are one step closer towards taking complete control of their gadgets, thanks to a new government ruling Monday on the practice of "jailbreaking."

This weekend has seen a flurry of activity about digital rights, but the biggest news dropped Monday morning, when the FCC announced that it had made the controversial practice of “jailbreaking” your iPhone — or any other cell phone — legal.

Jailbreaking — the practice of unlocking a phone (and particularly an iPhone) so it can be used on another network and/or run other applications than those approved by Apple — has technically been illegal for years. Most jailbroken phones are used on the U.S. T-Mobile network or on overseas carriers, or are used to run applications that Apple refuses to sell, such as Safari ad-blocking apps, alternate keyboard layouts, or programs that change the interface to the iPhone's SMS system and the way its icons are laid out.

While technically illegal, no one has been sued or prosecuted for the practice. (Apple does seriously frown on the practice, and jailbreaking your phone will still void your warranty.) It’s estimated that more than a million iPhone owners have jailbroken their handsets.

Apple fought hard against the legalization, arguing that jailbreaking was a form of copyright violation. The FCC disagreed, saying that jailbreaking merely enhanced the inter-operability of the phone, and was thus legitimate under fair-use rules.

The upshot is that now anyone can jailbreak or otherwise unlock any cell phone without fear of legal penalties, whether you want to install unsupported applications or switch to another cellular carrier. Cell phone companies are of course still free to make it difficult for you to do this — and your warranty will probably still be voided if you do — but at least you won’t be fined or imprisoned if you jailbreak a handset.

See less See more
#146 ·
how are you guys not happy for him he's so cute!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

and yay obama. I actually followed the whole campaign fsr even tho I'm not even american :lol: tbh i don't get the people going crazy at his victory, it was NID and he ended up winning by a landslide anwyay. so funny how everyone was freaking out at the beginning when romney was leading cos places like kentucky poll closed way earlier. i can't even call romney a tool cos at least tools are useful.

#147 ·
So two days ago I got laid-off work after 3 months probation period because despite being everything they were looking for, my "personality" was not a match. Then today I was advised against applying for a role because I have mental health problems and I take medication. "It's people like you that our services were set up for. You are in no position to help anyone right now. Reapply when you have made it through to the other side." Thanks for making me feel even more inadequate. Because I really needed it. And just what the fuck is this other side? So much for equality in the workplace. Urgh I am so mad right now.

#163 ·
I take a mood stabiliser.

Is it an illness employers are even entitled to ask about?
That sounds like typical job fuckery. :eek: Employers can be needless bastards sometimes.
Hope you find a great job you like soon. :hug:
I think they seemed particularly wary of mental health problems mainly because the role itself is in the mental health sector and due to the nature of people who access their services, they felt I wouldn't be able to handle it and would be triggered. So they told me not to apply for my own good. Whatever. I'm over it. I won't be surprised if this becomes a regular occurrence in the future though.

guys im designing a magazine for my final major project at uni and MY GOD it's taken me 2 hours to finish just one page in indesign...i'm going to kill myself (im such a perfectionist) :facepalm:
At least you got something done. I haven't touched my final year project ever since I last saw my supervisor 4 weeks ago. I'm supposed to have something to show next week but I doubt it. Perfectionism is such a bitch. I can only imagine the horror of starting the dissertation as well. :eek:

I thought he said he would nuke Iran? Or maybe our media exaggerated. Not that they can talk, our very own PM was over selling fighter jets in the Middle East this week. And are planning on heavily arming the Syrian rebels. :tape:
All whilst wearing a poppy. :tape: The guy has no sense of judgement.

That's what I find confusing about the London uni's though, the way they're dotted all over the place. It would be great if they were just like a typical campus.
Totally agree. My university's campuses are scattered across the borough and along with the "modern" style buildings, it feels less like a proper university, if it makes sense. If I can't get into medicine, I would love to do my postgrad in a campus university.

#158 ·
Romney always looks as though he's made of plastic to me. As though he's not a real person, but there's someone behind a curtain somewhere who's making him do and say things by remote control. Don't know why those weird thoughts come into my mind but every time I see him I immediately think, "there's the plastic robot." :confused:

#164 · (Edited)
I thought he said he would nuke Iran? Or maybe our media exaggerated.
Has there ever been a republican president or candidate that didn't want to start a war somewhere and put the country even more in debt by doing so? :shrug: Even so, I doubt that even the biggest fruitcake in American politics would consider nuking Iran. But he might have said it to get the vote of the trigger happy part of America, and perhaps it even worked since the only demographic where Romney got the most votes from was from "the angry white men." That's what they said on the news on Belgian television anyway.

BTW - just watched a speech from Michelle Obama at the Democratic convention on youtube. What a classy lady! Barak is brilliant at this sort of thing, but Michelle ain't exactly second best when it comes to this stuff.

#167 ·
I don't get people who say all politicians are the same.
None is good enough, all have several flaws, with that I agree. But there are many and important differences.
Obama is very far from being an ideal leader but I believe that the fact neither of the two candidates is good enough doesn't mean one can't be a lot worse (see Romney).
Yay for Obama's win.

#169 ·
Well, the problem with politicians is that they always promise more than they can deliver. And they know this beforehand because in a democracy you inevitably need to compromise. Therefore I think it would be better that a politician would just say that he or she will defend this or that side of any given issue. You can promise that with integrity, but you can't promise that you will be able to realize it because much of it depends on whether you can find enough partners from the other party to push it through.

So I think that (in this case) Obama really is trying hard to deliver, but he can't - and nobody will ever, be able to deliver a 100% because on the other side of the isle there are people who probably want the exact opposite of what he wants. So either nothing happens or you come out somewhere in the middle. And if nothing happens, nothing happens, and if you come out somewhere in the middle you realize at least something, but it's still a watered down version of your original idea.

#170 ·
Hey guys, I know there are some Aussies/New-Zealanders here :) For my English class I need some cool or at least interesting or AT LEAST JUST SOME (lol) idioms/slang examples used primarily in your area, does anyone suggestions? Googling probably won't be as productive as asking real people.

#171 ·
Hi guys,

I have created alternative thread about 20 greatest players at GM , because TennisFool's ranking has becme foolish. As a result, mods moved it in TennisFool's thread..... of course it is already buried there by next posts....

Pls support my ranking just with messages of support in that thread , quoting of my ranking will be also helpful

http://www.tennisforum.com/showthread.php?t=132958&page=82

#172 ·
Thanks chrissie-fan. That's what I mean when I say they're the same. They rarely ever do what they say to do and unless the politician is a crazy extremist or something then the changes they make aren't actually anything major. So because no major changes are made one way or the other it doesn't really matter which side get's in these days.
I think the situation is a little different in America but I would safely say that in the UK, yes each and every major party is the same. In fact many parties do the opposite of what they said once they get power over here.

#181 ·
no , it's Denny Tenn's , i guess it's denny5576

Reactions: MM_1257
#184 ·
I'm indifferent about Cronin, although most Caro fans don't like him. Bodo would if he was a TF member troll every Sharapova, Wozniacki and Clijsters thread at GM. He sometimes writes a pretty decent article, but his hate or dislike for certain players is too strong to give him much credibility and to consider him an unbiased writer.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.