Tennis Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Danish Delight - Caroline Wozniacki thread - vol 5

355K views 5K replies 85 participants last post by  James 
#1 ·
The last volume has passed 5000 posts, time to start a new one. It's not the most positive of times with Caro just losing the #1 ranking and firing her coach, but while there isn't much we can do about that we can at least try to keep a civil tone here, even if we're somewhat frustrated about the way Caro's career is going right now. Ok?

Volume 4
Volume 3
Volume 2
Volume 1

See less See more
#4,762 ·
Its a good idea to take a long rest now.
Being at the top in tennis means a lot of long, grueling weeks. To beat players like Kerber or Azarenka, Errani or Radwanska, you have to play a lot of long points. They win playing steady, and you have to match it to beat them.
At the big events, you have to beat 2 or 3 top 10 players to win. A lot of fitness involved, lot of focus needed

#4,765 ·
Already at the US Open 2012, Aga agreeded to play in Auckland, I dunno if she can skip that now...

A dane suggest the polish tourny can be opgraded as a Premier tournament, but I don't think so, it was stay at 235K (MM) in 2013.

#4,773 ·
Went back and checked her complete tourney itinerary from the beginning in 2005...Caro withdrew from Warsaw 2010 after taking the 1st set from Zheng in the QFs...this after beating Hercog in the 2nd Round and receiving a bye for the 1st......No wonder that tourney was so forgettable to me:lol:,but kudos:hatoff: to Jorn and TF66 for the contributions from the Caro archives

#4,774 ·
Actually, Zheng won the first (only) set.

#4,779 ·
Didn't have my oxygen mask so I didn't wanna wade through the foul stench of the GM manure...but I saw a thread on the main TF page which hinted that Aga wanted to play in Poland...and that Caro supported her receiving an exemption while other players disagreed......Is there any truth to that??

#4,780 ·
Schiavone, Stosur, Serena and Caro. Four members of the players council. One of them voted to let Aga play and three voted against. The OP assumes that Caro was the one who voted "yes", but nobody really knows that for a fact.

All this according to GM - for what it's worth (and you know what that means :lol: ).

#4,783 ·
Yeah,I'm not sure why Aga OR Caro would need a waiver to play in Poland as both of them are allowed to play two Ints. per season,right?As TF66 posted,there ought to be respect for the rules that were agreed upon;however,it IS a fairly stupid rule,as far as I can see---as long as Caro commits to enough of the precious 'mandatories' and other Premiers,why should the WTA give a damn if she or any other gal wants to play THREE Ints. and not just two

#4,784 ·
Yeah,I'm not sure why Aga OR Caro would need a waiver to play in Poland as both of them are allowed to play two Ints. per season,right?
Well the problem is that you can play 2 but one in the first part of the season & the other one on the 2nd part. Aga already commited to Auckland so she can't play Katowice. She was asking the council/wta or whatever, to allow her to play both Internationals in the first part of the season and none on the 2nd part.

#4,785 ·
It's just unfortunate that Agnieszka committed to playing Auckland prior to the announcement of the new tournament in Poland taking place. It just seems to be a matter of bad timing. With the two internationals per season rule, are they only allowed to commit to one in each half of the season? I don't necessarily disagree with the rule to be honest. You want the top ten to solidify their position by beating the best and not relying on playing extra international tournaments for points.

#4,787 ·
Well, if the're allowed to play two internationals per year I don't think it should be a big issue if you play them both in the first or second half of the year or one in each half. If the WTA wants to avoid players competing in two internationals in a short space of time that rule won't necessarily prevent it anyway because you could play one towards the end of the first half and one at the start of the second half of the season. I don't think that internationals have that big an impact on the ranking of the top 5 or 10 players anyway.

#4,786 · (Edited)
Blu€;22506703 said:
Well the problem is that you can play 2 but one in the first part of the season & the other one on the 2nd part. Aga already commited to Auckland so she can't play Katowice. She was asking the council/wta or whatever, to allow her to play both Internationals in the first part of the season and none on the 2nd part.
Ok,thanks for your explanation but,even so,I don't see why Aga can't just apologize to Auckland now in explaining that she didn't realize there would be an event in her home country(the switch from Copenhagen to Katowice was fairly recent,right?).....OOPS!Just remembered that Auckland was in NZ and NOT Australia(lol)...still,the Kiwis are pretty laid back,non-nuclear,pacifist types,so they should be able to cope with such a withdrawal from Caro's buddy

#4,789 ·
The ITF website has info about it and Caro wanna play...

“For me it is always exciting to play in Asia,” said Li. “I hope to have the crowd support in this match. It will be a great night for tennis, and hopefully it gets more people playing the game.”

Her opponent was equally enthusiastic about spreading the message about her sport: “It’s great to have the chance to play in Hong Kong again,” said Wozniacki. “It’s also exciting to be part of the first World Tennis Day. I hope it’s successful in getting more kids playing around the world.”

#4,795 ·
I think she's got her priorities way wrong here. She will no doubt have a bit of time between flying across the world into IW and her first match since if I remember right - it always seems like the 2nd week before matches actually start. But it's just silly IMO when she could be there in plenty of time focused on preparing for the tournament.

#4,792 ·
Let's restate the simple fact that Caroline has won more PREMIUM titles than at least 95% of the other players have won all titles,period.Even if we played devil's advocate,there is only a very small group of players whose fans could even halfway badmouth Caro b/c she is better than most all faves in winning the big matches

Even so,it's an inbred,moronic conspiracy theory to suggest that a 'whoring' player could match a respected star who played the tougher tourneys.With the lower point totals,a player would have to outright win THREE Ints. just to match the points gained from one of the higher-stakes premiers.In the process,she'd most likely burn herself out and be useless even before the USO Series ended.I recall how Dinara took lots of heat here for playing the relatively-weak Portoroz in 2009...only that ONE Intl.---so just imagine how much notoriety a better player would get if she routinely feasted on weaker draws at Internationals.The peer and media pressure would be so intense she could hardly bear it....Fortunately,it's a moot point amongst intelligent tennis fans,cuz everyone can see how Caro shows up for the tougher events.

#4,793 ·
Let's restate the simple fact that Caroline has won more PREMIUM titles than at least 95% of the other players have won all titles,period.Even if we played devil's advocate,there is only a very small group of players whose fans could even halfway badmouth Caro b/c she is better than most all faves in winning the big matches

Even so,it's an inbred,moronic conspiracy theory to suggest that a 'whoring' player could match a respected star who played the tougher tourneys.With the lower point totals,a player would have to outright win THREE Ints. just to match the points gained from one of the higher-stakes premiers.In the process,she'd most likely burn herself out and be useless even before the USO Series ended.I recall how Dinara took lots of heat here for playing the relatively-weak Portoroz in 2009...only that ONE Intl.---so just imagine how much notoriety a better player would get if she routinely feasted on weaker draws at Internationals.The peer and media pressure would be so intense she could hardly bear it....Fortunately,it's a moot point amongst intelligent tennis fans,cuz everyone can see how Caro shows up for the tougher events.
Exactly. They moan about the off season and say "I'm bored". Then they insult the players who do play by calling them "vultures" and "whores". There was a time when Caro was #1 when she had over 1000 ranking points that didn't actually count in her ranking.

But I think there should be even less flexibility on what big tournaments you can drop for your ranking. And to me - the distinction between PMs and P5s is artificial and good for adding another 50 pages or more to a complicated rule book. IMO - they should all have to count. I don't know why the WTA invents the names PM and P5 and goes on to make artificial complicated rules to distinguish between them. They just love having rules whether or not many of them are flagrantly broken.

Rome doesn't neccessarily have to count at the moment depending on nonsense like if it's yourr 2nd best P5 etc. But if you entered it and then withdraw - it does count as a 0 for you. But if you enter it and "tank" your match - it doesn't now count - you can swap it for a tournament you did better in. Doesn't make sense. Encourages the worst possible behaviour of entering a tournament and "tanking" they are so tied in knots with the rulebook. Make all the big tournaments have to count.

Of course - even if it was made so exclusive that you couldn't get any ranking points for any tournaments rated below PM and P5 (and that would exclude strong tournaments like Sydney, Eastbourne, Stuttgard ....) - players like Aga and Caro who played a full schedule would still be called "vultures" and "whores" when they played other tournaments and when they don't pull out of some of the big tournaments like Beijing and Tokyo.

#4,800 ·
Yes, I agree that a slam title is the only piece of the puzzle that's still missing. She just has to keep on giving it all she's got and don't lose patience. If she continues playing for the next six or seven (or hopefully more) years it's entirely possible that things will go her way at least once.

#4,801 ·
If she continues playing for the next six or seven (or hopefully more) years it's entirely possible that things will go her way at least once.
Yeah,when you look at Majoli and Franny,for example,it makes you believe that,with the right circumstances,it wouldn't require any miraculous intervention.You have to like the way that Fran has,most likely,maximized her potential,and it's sort of charming how she self-deprecatingly acknowledges that she's not as hot as many WTA stars:lol:...but,though I'm obviously not impartial,I think that Caro is a better player than either of the aforementioned

#4,810 ·
I was also sceptical about the 'nothing matters just slams' stance that they took this year. I think that it was part of her problems. I can see where it came from though. When she was a no.1 journalists and 'experts' kept whining about her schedule and always said that she doesn't focus on slams but only looks for easy points from 'small' tournaments (some even suggested that it was on purpose because she was not good enough as a player).

I think she's a type of player who needs to get into the rhythm to do well at biggest stages and therefore benefits a lot from playing warm up events. I wouldn't be suprised if she added a few events to her calendar this season because of that.

#4,812 ·
I was also sceptical about the 'nothing matters just slams' stance that they took this year. I think that it was part of her problems. I can see where it came from though. When she was a no.1 journalists and 'experts' kept whining about her schedule and always said that she doesn't focus on slams but only looks for easy points from 'small' tournaments (some even suggested that it was on purpose because she was not good enough as a player).

I think she's a type of player who needs to get into the rhythm to do well at biggest stages and therefore benefits a lot from playing warm up events. I wouldn't be suprised if she added a few events to her calendar this season because of that.
I think 'nothing matters just slams' was said because she wasnt getting good results. All the players in slam finals this year played well in other tournaments. Nobody turns on a switch at majors. And a good ranking usually helps your draw

#4,819 ·
They spend so much time together. It seems headed for marriage.
After that Tiger Woods marriage, Caroline should be very aware of whats happening. These golf stars have enablers around them

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.