Tennis Forum banner

Pac 12

177K views 2K replies 42 participants last post by  tennisbuddy12 
#1 ·
Continued because threads over 1,000 replies may get moved and the other Pac 10 thread was almost there. :lol:

#1,316 ·
Stanford's updated roster:

Name Ht. Yr. Hometown High School
Kristie Ahn 5-5 SR Upper Saddle River, N.J. The Professional Childrens School
Krista Hardebeck 5-7 SO Santa Ana, CA Kaplan Online
Amelia Herring 5-11 SR Carlsbad, CA LaCosta Canyon
Lindsey Kostas 5-5 SO La Jolla, CA La Jolla Country Day
Ellen Tsay 5-10 JR Pleasanton, CA Kaplan Academy

No surprise, no Gibbsy, Tan and Dillon graduating...

Pac-12 should be interesting next year with the top recruiting class joining the Cards next year...This is USC's best shot and UCLA has a good shot too. :lol:

Go teammmmmmmm!!!

#1,334 ·
Fall is important, Indoor is important, if you skip those, of course your ranking (team or individual) will be impacted. Nothing wrong about that imo :shrug:

STAN and USC both deserved each other. STAN skipped indoors, thought they could beat SMC without Gibbsy and paid the price. USC, lost to UNC and CAL.

Just that STAN brought it when it mattered. End of.

This post has been deleted
#1,348 ·
Despite the catastrophic endings, USC's last 2 seasons should be termed as a success.

Despite disadvantage in recruiting(Hibi didn't name USC as prospective college. It's really hard for USC to get those #1 players), beating those star-studded STAN & UCLA convincingly during the dual season testifies to USC's strength.

USC recruited recently; Yates-Katz-Westby-Smith. I wonder how many of you recognize their names :lol: Not the creme de la cremes, for sure, but USC WILL continuously challenge the elite teams.

Overcoming that extra hurdle, advancing to the Team final, is their next project. It won't be easy, of course..even defending the PAC 12 title will be an herculean task..

#1,349 ·
Yates-Katz-Westby-Smith? Do they play hockey? :lol:

Winning the Pac-12 title these days in the toughest division in the nation is no easy feat, then doing it two years in a row against star-studded teams...it seems no justice for USC to be ranked #5 and having to play a team in the R16 capable of winning it all. :eek:

I don't think a 3-peat of the Pac-12 is out of the question with the Cards rebuilding this year :tape:

#1,359 ·
Stanford has just updated their roster.

2013-14 Roster

Ahn, Kristie 5-5 Sr. Upper Saddle River, N.J. (The Professional Childrens School)
Davidson, Taylor 5-7 Fr. Statesville, N.C. (NCVPS/West Iredell HS)
Doyle, Caroline 5-9 Fr. San Francisco, Calif. (St. Ignatius College Prep/Halstrom HS)
Hardebeck, Krista 5-7 So. Santa Ana, Calif. (Kaplan Online)
Herring, Amelia 5-11 Sr. Carlsbad, Calif. (LaCosta Canyon)
Kostas, Lindsey 5-5 So. La Jolla, Calif. (La Jolla Country Day)
Tsay, Ellen 5-10 Jr. Pleasanton, Calif. (Kaplan Academy)
Zhao, Carol - Fr. Richmond Hill, Ontario, Canada

#1,360 ·
Let's see, such a young line-up so I'll give this a shot:

#1: Ahn- seem to have played in Gibbs shadow, especially with injury; this year she's got the spotlight all to herself and I don't think she would have it any other way, especially after winning the deciding match in last year's final at NCAA over Texas A&M
#2: Hardebeck- she finished strong last year after a so-so start, still ended up with 36 wins; deciding match win over Florida in SF at NCAA
#3: Davidson- highest ranked among the freshman recruits, I think she'll be taking over Hardebeck's court from last year; should be solid at #3 or #4
#4: Zhao- don't know what to rank her yet; impressive summer defeating a top#100 player, she could climb to the #3 spot, but we'll wait and see
#5: Tsay- she should get another 30 wins playing at #4 or #5, we'll see if she'll use the deciding match win over USC in R16 at last year's NCAA to keep her confidence high
#6: Doyle- she graduated a year early, graduating from St Ignatius, same school that Dillon went to, she should be climbing higher in the line-up in the next 2 years

It'll be tougher to pick the doubles line-up...

#1,363 ·
Here's my prediction for UCLA:

Singles
1) Robin: She produces consistent results. I hope she is solid throughout the entire season next year. I also hope to see her become more of a challenge against Sabs and USC.
2) Kyle: She had a solid end to last season so I think she will be a solid #2. If she doesn't continue to play well, I can see her moving down to #3.
3) Jennifer Brady: She's too good to not be playing in the top 3 positions.
4) Catherine Harrison: I like her aggressive game and I hope she gets moved to this position. I'd like to think had she played in this position against Texas A&M last year, UCLA would've won.
5) Chanelle: I think Kaitlin should be in this position but I don't see Stella moving Chanelle from #4 back to #6.
6) Kaitlin: If she plays this position, she'll go undefeated!

Doubles
1) Robin/Skylar: They had a great freshman season and their sophomore season was saved by their runner up at NCAA. Stella probably will keep them together. Skylar will also be in the doubles lineup since she will likely not play singles. Anyone know if she is still thinking of leaving?
2) Kyle/Cat: I enjoyed watching them play together last year so I hope Stella keeps them together.
3) Courtney Dolehide with Brady/Chanelle/Kaitlin: Courtney will be in the doubles lineup. It'll just be a question of who she plays with.

#1,366 ·
Any ideas on Cal's line-up?

Chi, Lynn 5-9 Fr. Weston, Fla. (Florida Virtual School)
Chui, Kelly 5-6 Jr. Milpitas, Calif. (St. Francis HS)
Duranteau, Alice 5-7 Jr. Paris, France (Lycee Jean-Baptiste de la Fontaine)
Estlander, Cecilia 5-10 So. Helsinki, Finland (Brando Gymnasium)
Fabikova, Klara 5-10 Fr. Brno, Czech Republic (Gymnasium Kpt. Jarose Brno)
Schutting, Anett 5-7 Jr. Tallinn, Estonia (Tallinn Old Town Upper Secondary School)
Susanyi, Zsofi 5-7 So. Szeged, Hungary (Teleki Blanka HS)

plus Starr and Manasse.

#1,367 ·
My guess is Starr and Manasse would join Susanyi, Shutting, Fabikova, and Chi in the singles lineuup, just based on how highly ranked they were coming out of HS. Has anyone here seen them play and can provide more information?

I think doubles will be wide open. Perhaps it was bc of Zsofi's injury, but the Bears never had a really set lineup here. Schutting and Chi did OK but didn't scare anybody at #1. Cal has a history of good doubles teams, so I look forward to the Bears improving in tthis area.

#1,374 ·
KK/Sabs did NOT receive a USO doubles WC. Unreal! Wonder what the story is - I really hope they forgot to apply or something, because otherwise it's pretty embarrassing for the USTA to snub the most accomplished college team of all time.

Doubles wildcards:

1. Mallory Burdette/Taylor Townsend
2. Jill Craybas/Coco Vandeweghe
3. Lauren Davis/Grace Min
4. Martina Hingis/Daniela Hantuchova
5. Allie Kiick/Sachia Vickery (San Diego Winners)
6. Melanie Oudin/Alison Riske
7. Shelby Rogers/Maria Sanchez

Sabrina Santamaria ‏@sabs_santamaria 22 Aug
Arrived in New York for our US Open debut!!!! Watch us play next week :) #USOpen #trojans #NYC…
:hysteric:

#1,375 ·
KK/Sabs did NOT receive a USO doubles WC. Unreal! Wonder what the story is - I really hope they forgot to apply or something, because otherwise it's pretty embarrassing for the USTA to snub the most accomplished college team of all time.

Doubles wildcards:

1. Mallory Burdette/Taylor Townsend
2. Jill Craybas/Coco Vandeweghe
3. Lauren Davis/Grace Min
4. Martina Hingis/Daniela Hantuchova
5. Allie Kiick/Sachia Vickery (San Diego Winners)
6. Melanie Oudin/Alison Riske
7. Shelby Rogers/Maria Sanchez

:hysteric:
That can't be right. She's in NY now. USO better make this right and let Sabs play!!! :fiery:

#1,376 ·
Dang it!!! This is messed up (confirmed to be true)!!!
Sabs only words are:
Sabrina Santamaria ‏@sabs_santamaria 4h
Really at a loss for words right now..

Sabs got more respect playing in other countries, winning silver award...then come back home to be denied at USO W/C...boycott the USO I say!!! :fiery:

#1,378 ·
I helped AM on the pro tour and was cheering for her in college and when she was rehabbing her near career ending injury. This is a travesty and completely wrong. They gave Long/Andersun a wc in 2007 and not them? I have zero ties to the situation and this really bugs me. Politics. And pluskota/cako need a team to withdraw to get in the draw. Way to be pro college usta.

#1,379 ·
Well, zootennis story does at least confirm that KK/Sabs failed to apply for the WC. Still I place most of the blame on the USTA - it is pretty embarrassing that they were not even familiar enough to realize that the most accomplished collegiate team of all time had not applied. Goes to show that even with the new USTA collegiate team, the USTA's recognition and support of college tennis is disjointed at best.

http://tenniskalamazoo.blogspot.com...tter&utm_campaign=Feed:+Zootennis+(ZooTennis)

Unfortunate news out of New York today, with the word that Sabrina Santamaria and Kaitlyn Christian, the USC pair who won all three collegiate majors this year, including the NCAA title, did not receive a wild card into the women's doubles at the US Open. Santamaria and Christian, not knowing they needed to apply to the USTA for a wild card, didn't, and the oversight wasn't noted by anyone at USTA Player Development when the time came for deciding US Open wild cards.

#1,380 ·
Thanks for the link...I had to vent on twitter...so disappointed that USTA fell asleep on this. Should have been an automatic W/C for winning NCAA. I doubt other countries would overlook this kind of thing.
3 majors and no W/C. I understand if this was Wimbledon, Australian, or French Open...but not US Open :fiery: :fiery: :fiery:

#1,381 ·
:tape:

:haha:

This just redefines the term 'tragicomedy' :tape:

When I thought it couldn't get any worse for Trojan fans :tears:

That USTA Collegiate thing was a SHAM. Can't be a coincidence, Embree and KK/Sabs, both #1s, not getting WCs. They just don't care about college players, only junior 'prospects' who turned pro or are likely to.

Who cares about USO anyway, I'm sure KK/Sabs enjoyed the 'unparalleled European experience'. Isn't NY awfully humid this time of year :lol:

Now I wonder if they'll aim for 3-peat (NIIC) this November. Before that, repeat win of WAATC. Currently they are tied with Barte's 4 slam wins.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.