Tennis Forum banner

time to hire up a coach?

21K views 220 replies 67 participants last post by  MM_1257 
#1 ·
Another disappointing loss yesterday happened. but it's not just for the loss, it's not for the serve movement coz it takes time to work perfectly.
its more her fitness on court, her foot work. damn she looks like really a cow when she runs :tape:

what I was wondering during all those matches where the serve was just one of the problems (the old Maria could beat them even using only the powerful strokes, thing she's not using anymore) was: damn, what did u do during the off season? supposed to train ok, but why so slow? why so tired?

Probably she took wrong choices during her managing the off season, maybe something different, I really dunno.

What I think it's clear is that now she has some training problems and not only with her serve, her foot work sucks a lot, she got slower then Davenport on court :eek:

her breaking up with the father from some points is just positive but now she needs someone who stands over all her preparation

a good coach would be more then appreciated

See less See more
#141 ·
If you keep on doing the same thing, don't be surprised if you keep on getting the same result.

And since 2009 she's been losing clutch matches she should have won, and going out early in slams. Would a new coach improve things? Why not? Experienced coaches have got a lot of players out of ruts and helped them to perfect new skills. Look at Dementieva's serve, which was improved by a new coach.

Maria hasn't had a good professional coach. Lansdorp helped her with her groundstrokes part-time. Apart from that she's had her dad (now vanished), and her ex hitting-partner - who isn't a trained coach.

Maria wants to get some new input to help her solve the problems with her game that are holding her back.

#152 ·
Agree totally. I also think she needs to concentrate a little less on ythe distractions. Her Facebook entry for hr USOpen match finished up by touting Tiffany earrings! Not good.

#147 ·
IMO I think they are the only MAIN ones that can give Maria some 'pep' talks and Maria will actually respect and do what they telling her.

I watched her press match conference the other day and she was asked about her loss, she said its just a tennis match whilst others would have said they feel disappointed etc.

Maybe all these endorsements have had some sort of effect on her as well :shrug: though I think it is mainly down to some mental issues

#149 ·
Maybe all these endorsements have had some sort of effect on her as well :shrug: though I think it is mainly down to some mental issues
Endorsments how? She's always been a commercial darling and used to have more ads and stuff. (btw I really miss Canon commercials :sad:)

#153 ·
You know, if this thread hadn't been created yet, this would have been a good time to do it.

Get a real coach Maria, and no, I'm not talking about 'daddy' but an actual tennis coach.

#156 ·
GET A BLOODY COACH MARIA! :mad:

#159 ·
And while you are at it, subtract 2 inches from her height, get rid of Sasha and find her a Hollywood actress to hang out with, get her another deal to pose for the sports illustrated swimsuit issue, and----above all else----the key to her success and more grand slam trophies-----make her start writing at least one doodle every week.

#165 ·
She better change something soon, because I'm starting to not care about her results anymore. I don't even feel upset anymore when I read or see that she lost.

#166 ·
same feeling here, i deeply love her, i cannot even think about someone else like my fave, but i dont look at results anymore, I just dont care...

thats sad, basically the champion died years ago, now we have learn to appreciate this second average career too, as long as it lasts

#171 ·
years have passed since her come back and i really thought that this coach was a good key to help her handling with all her problems but despite all the great experience he brought with his coming in her life nothing has changed. We still know when shes gonna doublefault in every match shes playing and despite all the good results she had this year i challenge u to find more than 1-2 performances comparable to the maria we used to know before surgery. I think the player used to be fierce and bright at same time is gone and her amazing serve too but i still thought HOgstedt would have helped her improving different skills trying to be a better player as well.
YOu all will probably say that everytime theres a problem topic like this go up again but i think that the problem keep existing no matter she wins Rome or Cincinnati cause the tour is lack of very good players and her game isnt even comparable to the one we used to admire.
Still doubtful if its a Hogstedt's fault or not but i tend to think would be the same with every good coach on earth, its something unsolved in maria's physical shape and she still have to handle it

#172 ·
We have to accept the reality as it is and Maria's state as it is... Post-injury Maria is vulnerable... She is basically without a serve, she cannot rely on it... so... It is the way it is, so for me (yes, this USO loss hurts me a lot and is going to hurt me for quite some time, Wimby hurts me even more, because I think that was the last train...) - I am trying to appreciate every title she wins after the surgery, every small improvement she makes... It gets hard sometimes, but I wanna enjoy the career while it lasts, and hopefully she will bring us happy and victory moments in the future again.

#173 ·
Why don't we wait until after the Asia series and YEC before we talk about coaching change. Maria's had a good year, Rome and Cincinnati titles, Wimbledon and Miami finals, semi finals in RG and Indian Wells. She loves playing in Asia and has a chance to do really well. And Sasha will be inInstanbul to cheer her on at the YEC.

Maria isn't the only player who could have taken advantage of openess of the tour this year but she is one of the few players who did. Vika and Caroline also did and that's why those 3 have the rankings they do.

In a nutshell, I think Thomas is making gains with Maria. Let's give him a bit more time.

#174 ·
Deffinitely... Thomas should stay imo. Not sure about Volchkov though...

#175 ·
Hogg appears to be doing a great job with Pova. IMO, The worst thing Pova could do is run through a series of coaches as if it's the coach's fault she isn't performing to some fan's imaginary standard.

Pova's first career was a gradual ascent through early 2008 with an incredible serve and unbelievable forehand and appeared to be on the road to total dominance. That player died of a shoulder injury.

Pova's second career presents a player with an unrelyable serve and questionable forehand but with unparalled grit and guts. It will be exciting to see if her determination and will power can force the serve and forehand into being good enough to win the big ones. A new, exciting player on the scene with tremendous potential...

That's the way I see it.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.