Tennis Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

** Masha News and Articles! ** Vol. 3

390K views 6K replies 244 participants last post by  tejmeglekvár 
#1 ·
Hi everyone :wavey:

Thought maybe we could use a thread here to post all the news, interviews, and articles we find on Masha. :)

I just got my new Tennis Week magazine and Maria is on the cover again (she was also on the March cover). :eek:

If they haven't been posted already, I'll scan in the pics and article and post them here later.

#1,284 ·
http://www.wtatennis.com/news/article/3788877/title/sharapova-cruises-into-stuttgart-final

Sharapova Cruises Into Stuttgart Final

Maria Sharapova required just 59 minutes to see off Sara Errani, 61 62, and book her place in the yet another Stuttgart final.

April 26, 2014

STUTTGART, Germany - Maria Sharapova delivered a near-flawless performance to swat aside Sara Errani and stay on course for a third straight title at the Porsche Tennis Grand Prix.

The Plot

It has not been the easiest of starts to the season for Sharapova, with early exits at both the Australian Open and Indian Wells putting her place in the Top 10 under threat. However, over the past few years, the Russian has often saved her best tennis for the clay and after a slow start in Stuttgart her game looked back to its best during her quarterfinal win over Agnieszka Radwanska.

An intriguing subplot to her semifinal against Errani concerned the rankings, with the winner assured of a place in the Top 10 on Monday.

The Turning Point

In four previous meetings with Sharapova, Errani had never taken a set and the early signs in their latest encounter were ominous. After holding serve to love in the opening game, Sharapova unleashed an inside-out forehand winner to capture the early break and it was not long before she was wrapping up the set with another imperious service game.

There was a brief glimmer of hope for Errani when she broke at the start of the second, but it was soon snuffed out. Sharapova reestablished her dominance thanks to two more breaks of her own, and, with the on-court clock still one minute shy of the hour mark, yet another inch-perfect backhand put the finishing touches to a 61 62 victory.

By The Numbers

That backhand was the 30th winner to come from the Russian's racquet and this statistic - allied to just nine unforced errors - goes a long way to explaining the one-sided scoreline. Errani also struggled on serve throughout; she was broken five times and failed to win a point on her second serve until she was 4-2 down in the second set.

Quotes

"The further you go in the tournament, the harder it gets, and I really wanted to step up today and produce a good performance," Sharapova said. "The first tournament on clay is always tough - it's important to improve with each match and I think I've done that this week.

"I know how good Sara is on the surface and I was extra ready to perform against her. She has a lot of experience and really knows how to play, so I had to take care of things on my side of the net."

What's Next

Standing between Sharapova and a third Stuttgart crown will be the winner of the second semifinal, the all-Serbian affair between Jelena Jankovic and Ana Ivanovic.

#1,285 ·
http://www.wtatennis.com/news/article/3790809/title/sharapova-strikes-thirty-in-stuttgart

Sharapova Strikes Thirty In Stuttgart

Maria Sharapova stormed back against Ana Ivanovic to win her 30th WTA title at the Porsche Tennis Grand Prix. It's her first ever three-peat at a WTA tournament.

April 27, 2014

STUTTGART, Germany - She was in all kinds of trouble - her opponent led 63 31 with a point for 63 41 - but there's a reason Maria Sharapova is a four-time Grand Slam champion and former World No.1, and that unrelenting will to win came out in full force again as the Russian battled back to beat Ana Ivanovic in the final of the Porsche Tennis Grand Prix, 36 64 61, and capture her 30th WTA title.

The Plot

Sharapova came into the match as a strong favorite, not only being the two-time defending champion in Stuttgart but also leading Ivanovic in their head-to-head series, 7-2 - including winning their last six straight. But hungry to turn the tables, Ivanovic would come out on absolute fire from the get-go.

The Turning Point

Her massive forehand flowing and her backhand rock solid, Ivanovic came storming out to a 5-0 lead in the first set and, after eventually closing that set out, 6-3, she jumped out to a 3-1 second set lead.

Ivanovic even had a point for 4-1 in the second set - but an untimely double fault erased that point for 4-1, and from there it was all Sharapova, as the No.6-seeded Russian reeled off 11 of the last 13 games of the match to put the No.9-seeded Serb away after two hours and three minutes, 36 64 61.

Sharapova finished the match off on one last massive return winner - her 34th winner of the match.

By The Numbers

Though Ivanovic was clearly better during the first half of the match and Sharapova beefed her numbers up during the second half of the match, overall both players put on an impressive display during the final, with Sharapova putting together a +10 differential of winners to unforced errors (34 to 24) and Ivanovic coming in just behind her with a +9 differential of winners to unforced (32 to 23).

In the most critical moments of the match Sharapova performed much better on the most critical points. She won seven of nine break point opportunities - meanwhile, Ivanovic won five of 10 such chances.

Quotes

"For the first half of the match I thought it might not be my day today, but somehow I turned it around," Sharapova said. "I had quite a slow beginning to the year, but me and my team have been working hard to get in the position to win titles again, and I'm so happy to be able to do it in Stuttgart."

And on winning a WTA tournament three times for the first time? "It's really special, and it's extra special for me because the tournament is here," Sharapova, a Porsche Brand Ambassador, added. "I feel like I'm a small part of the Porsche family. It's been an incredible few years at this tournament."

After getting a lengthy standing ovation upon receiving her runner-up trophy, Ivanovic was moved.

"I'm speechless," the former World No.1 told the crowd, "thank you so much."

"From the first moment it was always a close match," she added. "It was always a few close balls to decide each game, and it went on the whole match. In the second set she definitely went for those big shots, though, and she made some amazing points. She's just a great player, and that's what happens when you play against great players in big matches like this. You need to use your opportunities.

"But there's always next time."

#1,286 ·
http://www.wtatennis.com/news/article/3793221/title/sharapovas-clay-court-transformation

Sharapova's Clay Court Transformation

What is the secret behind Maria Sharapova's transformation from clay court novice to serial title winner? The Tennis Space has a look at the evolution of her game.

April 28, 2014

For someone who once described her own movement on a clay court as reminiscent of a "cow on ice", Maria Sharapova has looked decidedly sure-footed on the surface in recent years.

In fact, six of her last eight titles have come on the terre battue that she once so openly loathed.

The latest of these came in Stuttgart, where on Sunday she drove away with the silverware for the third straight year. So what is the secret from her transformation from clay court neophyte to serial title winner?

"It was back in 2007 that Sharapova first mentioned "cow on ice", explaining how unnatural she felt playing on clay. That was when she was struggling with her serious shoulder injury. Fast forward seven years and if anything she looks more comfortable on clay even than on hard courts, her most successful surface, with 17 titles.

"So how has she done it? Well, she's matured, for a start, into a more tactical player when the surface does not do the work for her. Her groundstrokes are virtually flat, so she misses out on the reaction of the clay to top-spin, but her point-construction is far superior now to when she first came on the scene and relied on blasting people away.

"Secondly, she has learned to slide on clay, especially to her backhand side. It still looks a little ungainly at times, but it's hugely effective and since her backhand is her better wing, she has the strength on the run/slide to be able to punch the ball back with the two-hander, even when pushed to extremes. That's something she couldn't do until a few years ago and is a massive improvement."

#1,287 ·
May 2, 2014

Maria Sharapova

MADRID, SPAIN

THE MODERATOR: Questions, please.

Q. How are you feeling to begin this tournament? What are your expectation here?
MARIA SHARAPOVA: After a good week in Stuttgart, I obviously would love to continue that form and play with the level I played last week.
Last year was a great tournament for me getting to the final and the year before in the semi, so I really hope that I can take it a step further this year.

Q. How do you feel about your season?
MARIA SHARAPOVA: Yeah, it was tough missing the last part of last year's season. I'm finding myself regaining the form in the last few weeks, in Miami and last week.
It's always challenging coming back from an injury. It's something that you have to work on extremely hard.
But, yeah, it was great to win a title again, and I hope that I can continue that level looking forward.

Q. You have been already practicing. How have you found the courts this year?
MARIA SHARAPOVA: Yeah, the courts are good. I think they need a little bit more playing on, but they feel really good.

#1,288 ·
M. SHARAPOVA/C. McHale
6‑1, 4‑6, 6‑4
Q. Talk about the second set.
MARIA SHARAPOVA: Yeah, I didn't create any chances for
myself on her serves. I don't think I had a break point until ‑‑ in
that second set I didn't have a breakpoint until I converted a break
point in the third set.
So I don't feel like I was doing much off of my return and putting
any pressure on her and letting her dictate from the first point.
That was really getting me in trouble.

Q. You beat Christina McHale here last year in the second
round. Did you expect a match so complicated this time?
MARIA SHARAPOVA: Well, after a really good start I didn't
keep that level. I didn't keep doing what I was doing. I think I had
a bit of a letdown.
She's a good competitor. She won't just give matches away. She
works really hard out there, and I think she showed that today.

Q. The work with Sven is bringing you new things? You feel more
secure? The objective is to beat Serena or just to be better by
yourself?
MARIA SHARAPOVA: I think the objective from anyone that
comes into a team for the first time, one, is to learn and observe,
and then to work on things that can make you better.
At this level of the game it's such a few little things that can make
a big difference. It's not that I hired him for a major change at
this time in my career.
It's more little things that ultimately add up and make you a better
player.

Q. In what way is it helpful for you to be able to have the coach
on your side during the match compared to the times where that
wasn't so? Does it really help you?
MARIA SHARAPOVA: In terms of?

Q. Well, the coaches weren't always allowed to come and see you.
MARIA SHARAPOVA: You mean on the court?

Q. Yes.
MARIA SHARAPOVA: Yeah, I don't think I actually‑‑ I'd prefer
that there was no such rule because it's such an individual sport. It
really depends on you out there to figure out the situation.
Of course when you come into a Grand Slam, no one is there to
help you out.
But if the system is there and you feel like you're having a bit of a
letdown and you need that bit, it's not like he's going to come in
and change so many things in that position. It's more to give you
that energy and give you a little bit of a different angle.
What he sees from the side is maybe different than what you see
playing there.

Q. Yesterday we saw all the tennis family out there on the court.
Did you know Elena?
MARIA SHARAPOVA: Unfortunately I never had the chance to
get to know her personally. But despite that and despite not
knowing her, I think it's a huge tragedy not just for the tennis
world but as a human being to see somebody so close and see her as
a competitor and as an athlete, that being healthy is such a huge
part of her lifestyle and maintaining that.
To see somebody have to fight for her life in a very quick amount
of time is so sad. It's just so eye‑opening when you hear those
things. You know, my prayers and everything are with her family. I
can imagine how difficult it is for them.

Q. You are playing Sam or Garbine next. Obviously you have
played Sam a lot, and also you played Garbine I believe in Rome last
year.
MARIA SHARAPOVA: Yes.

Q. What do you expect from both?
MARIA SHARAPOVA: Well, either one I believe will be a tough
match, and certainly have to raise my level for that occasion.
Whoever I play, you know, as much as you focus on who is across
the net, I prefer to focus on my game and my level. I will really
need to step it up for that next one.

FastScripts Transcript by ASAP Sports

#1,291 ·
May 9, 2014

Maria Sharapova

MADRID, SPAIN

M. SHARAPOVA/L. Na
2‑6, 7‑6, 6‑3

THE MODERATOR: Questions in English, please.

Q. Congratulations on the win.
MARIA SHARAPOVA: Thank you.

Q. It was a tough match. Just wondering, which are those big events in your life that provided you with that mental toughness to go through those matches?
MARIA SHARAPOVA: Well, experience certainly helps, and being in a lot of different positions in my career and having to either come back or stay focused when I'm ahead.
You know, I think it's a combination of experience and kind of what you teach yourself and the motivation that you find inside of yourself to not letdown when you're feeling things aren't going the exact way that you wanted them to.

Q. You play with Li Na a couple times on clay. Why do you think you have this mental edge against her on those few occasions? You were down in the points and she was leading; she seemed to almost have this match, but you fought back and won.
MARIA SHARAPOVA: I will say the match was very close. I think it really could have gone her way today. You know, it was just a matter of a few points in the second set. And in the third, although I was up a break throughout the third set, you know, she's not going to let go.
I didn't win the match until the last point was played. I don't think it's about an edge. I think today I was down, I didn't play a great first set, and I found a way to get myself in a position to be in the third.
Then certainly something changed a little bit and did something different to get myself going and give myself a bit more energy than I had in the first set.

Q. You said you didn't play so well in the first set. Do you think the way you came back, particularly in the third set and your form in recent weeks and your form in Stuttgart, that you're approaching your best form?
MARIA SHARAPOVA: I think these weeks are extremely important. As the leadup to the French Open, they always are. You want to improve as you get the next challenges.
It's never easy coming from an indoor event to outdoor. Here and Rome are the last two before the French Open, and you hope to build from every match you play.
I'm very happy that I get another chance in the next match.

Q. On a wider aspect, are you in favor of on‑court coaching? Do you think for you particularly that it works?
MARIA SHARAPOVA: I wasn't really for it in the beginning, and I still‑‑ I wouldn't mind if it didn't exist.
But if there is a system there‑‑ kind of like a challenge system. There were a few players that were against it. But if there is a call and the system is in place, even if they don't like the system, they're going to use it to their benefit.
That's how I see it. It's the minute or however long the changeover is to get a boost going. If you feel like you're having a little bit of a letdown or to maintain your focus, the coach always sees from a little bit of a different perspective on the sides than what you maybe see playing, so...

Q. You may play against Caroline Garcia. Can you tell a little bit on her?
MARIA SHARAPOVA: Yeah, she's been playing really well in the last few weeks winning her first title, I believe. She's been a player that's been up and coming for a really long time. It's great to see her really step up and showcase her game. I think she's always had a very big, powerful game.
Yeah, she's been playing really well. See how the match goes today, but that'll be a good matchup.

Q. Max a trying to organize a few exhibition matches between you and Li Na in China after the Singapore Championships. What are your thoughts about this idea? Do you think it's a good thing for the Chinese fans to experience, to see two great players playing tennis in front of them?
MARIA SHARAPOVA: Yeah, there has been over the last two years or so a lot of interest in myself playing against Li Na in some exhibition matches in China. We've been finally able to work it out in both of our schedules.
I think we have one date confirmed. Doing a little bit of a tour with her, which will be fun. I'll be able to get to see some cities which I never have and I think for the Chinese audience and their fans to see how popular she is there, and to be able to experience live tennis for the first time.
I think we're trying to go to cities that haven't had a big tennis event. It's been fun. I'm really looking forward to it.

#1,293 ·
TENNIS Mutua Madrid Open 2014 – M. Sharapova d A. Radwanska 6-1, 6-4. An interview with Maria Sharapova.

Q. First of all, congratulations for your win. I want to ask you, you started very impressive today. You e went up 6 1, 3 0 very quickly and then lost four games in a row. You called your coach and then things turned around.

MARIA SHARAPOVA: Uh huh.

Q. Won the last two games of the match. What happened there? What did he say? How are you feeling at that moment? What did you change?

MARIA SHARAPOVA: I think he just wanted me to go back to what I was doing in the beginning, some things that were helping me.

I was the one that was being aggressive and hitting deep and taking advantage early in the rally, not letting myself getting really long rallies with her.

Yeah, so instead of just making those errors like I did for those four games, I tried to go to be a bit more consistent as well.

Q. You had the same tactics I think against her in Stuttgart. You cut down her angles and stopped her from playing her game. What plans have you got for Halep? She’s a whole different ballgame.

MARIA SHARAPOVA: Yeah, it’s a final match. I don’t think we’ve played for a really long time. She’s had such a great year. Obviously she is the player to beat in the final.

I’m looking forward to that matchup. No matter who I’m facing against, that’s always toughest match is the last one. You just got to give everything you have out there.

Yeah, it’s great to be back in the final and give myself another opportunity.

Q. What do you think about Halep, your rival, her game?

MARIA SHARAPOVA: Well, like I just said, we haven’t played in a really long time, but she’s been playing really well. Not just this tournament, but for the last year. I think she’s 5 in the world now. So it’s the highest that she’s been in her career and playing the best tennis of her career.

So definitely be a tough match for me. I’m looking forward to it.

Q. You won your first title of the year in Stuttgart a couple weeks ago. You been playing really well on the clay court in the last few years. Can we say that you’re feeling as good on clay as on hard court?

MARIA SHARAPOVA: Well, I really challenge myself to improve on clay courts because that was never my favorite surface in the beginning of my career.

I’ve done a really good job of transitioning from the hard to the clay and really improving physically and recovering well from match to match.

I think that’s helped me a lot. I’ve benefitted from that in the last couple of years. You know, I enjoy playing on all surfaces. I like the challenges that they all bring. They’re all so different, including grass courts.

Yeah, I’ve been really happy that I’ve been able to change my results in the last few years on clay.

Q. Today Simona was running after every ball and she was playing two hours and a half; yesterday you had a long match as well and today you played. I want to ask you how you feel physically, because we see that in Madrid it’s very hot? How do you feel? What you expect from tomorrow’s match?

MARIA SHARAPOVA: Yeah, I feel really good physically. I put a lot of matches in in the last few weeks, but that’s what I want. I missed four or five months of the season last year, and I wanted to come in to this year and play as many matches as I can.

That’s been my goal and that’s what I’m here for. So if I’m a little bit tired, that’s normal. That’s okay. You’re playing a lot of matches. That’s how you want to feel.

If you’re feeling fresh, then something is a wrong. Then you’re probably not in the finals of the tournaments.

Q. She run after every, every ball.

MARIA SHARAPOVA: That’s great. If she’s running, that’s a good sign.

Q. I would like to ask you about love. You are in relationship with Grigor Dimitrov one year and a half almost. How is possible to keep…

MARIA SHARAPOVA: I’m glad you’re counting. I’m glad someone is counting for me. (Laughter.)

Q. Congratulations for that. I’m from Bulgaria, and I’m very happy because I think you both are a great couple.

MARIA SHARAPOVA: Thank you very much. I think you told me that last year, too.

Q. But you never replied. So my question is: Does love help to professional careers?

MARIA SHARAPOVA: Oh, my goodness. How do I answer that question? I think it’s a nice benefit to have, and always I think it complements what you do in your professional career.

It’s always nice to be happy away from everything you do and have somebody you come home to. It’s a really great feeling. I wish it for everybody.

#1,295 ·
Madrid: Sharapova d. Halep
Sunday, May 11, 2014 /by Steve Tignor
There are big moments, key moments, clutch moments, and turnaround moments in tennis matches. In her 1-6, 6-2, 6-3 final-round loss to Maria Sharapova today in Madrid, Simona Halep showed us another one that’s just as common to the sport: the moment of hesitation.

Halep had done everything right in winning the first set from a confused and erratic Sharapova, and she seemed poised to keep doing the right things in the second. Down 0-1, she went up 15-40 on Sharapova’s serve. A break here and Halep would deny Sharapova a necessary change in momentum. Maybe Halep realized that herself, because she chose that moment to hit her two worst shots of the day to that point. Twice she pulled up on routine forehands and sent them long; twice she gave Sharapova a lifeline back into the match.

Sharapova, champion that she is, knew exactly how to take that assist and slam it home. Faced with a third break point in that game, she went for broke on a second serve and surprised Halep into another mistake. From there, with Halep hesitant and Sharapova finally settled, the match turned completely and never turned back.

This wasn’t a flawless performance from Sharapova—she hit 22 winners, made 30 errors, and double faulted eight times—but in a way that fact made her victory more impressive, and an especially good example of why she's a winner. Take two examples:

(1) Serving at 1-1 in the third set, Halep went up 40-0. On the second of those points, chair umpire Kader Nouni ruled that Sharapova couldn’t challenge a call because she had already made a move to play the point. He was right, but Maria briefly argued. Briefly is the operative word; rather than stubbornly pleading the merits of her case and letting herself be distracted, Sharapova simply shrugged it off (which isn’t as easy as she made it look). That allowed her to take advantage of a second moment of hesitation from Halep, in which she made three more forehand errors and gave away her 40-0 lead. Sharapova broke and was soon up 4-1.

(2) With the finish line in sight, it was Sharapova’s turn to hesitate. She played safely and sloppily for the next two games, and went to the next changeover ahead just 4-3. Rather than let the moment overwhelm her, Sharapova came out of that changeover and went with a decisive, percentage play—wide serve into deuce court, aggressive-but-sane backhand crosscourt to win the point. The hesitation was gone; she had settled herself again.

As for Halep, the player who had looked so unflappable through the week...well, she flapped. We saw today that under pressure, her forehand can break down, and when things started to unravel, she didn’t try to slow herself down, pump herself up, or change her tactics. Which seems odd: Halep was 7-0 in finals over the last year, and 7-0 in three-setters so far in 2014. Yet unlike Sharapova, she couldn’t find a way to rise to this occasion. Maria used all of her emotional energy, while Halep flat-lined.

Both women should come away from Madrid strengthened and feeling like contenders for the final two major events of the clay season, in Rome and Paris. Especially Maria: Today she won her second title in a row and her first in Madrid, and she moved up to No. 7 in the rankings. She also looked pretty happy doing it. Sharapova may realize that, when it comes to clay, even if she never beats Serena Williams again, she’ll be there to take advantage when someone else does.
http://www.tennis.com/pro-game/2014/05/madrid-sharapova-d-halep/51413/#.U3B1xlNIgzw

#1,296 ·
M. SHARAPOVA/S. Halep
1‑6, 6‑2, 6‑3

Q. You repeated the title in Stuttgart, but Madrid was like a
new place to win.
MARIA SHARAPOVA: Yeah, it's a tournament that I have not
won before, but in the last couple of years I've gotten closer. So I
was happy that I had another chance this year.
Yeah, it's very meaningful to win a tournament for the first time.

Q. Simona was very complementary on the way you played. For
me it was much more important to see how relieved you were at the
end. Even though you almost achieved everything in your life, it was
very important for you to win this tournament, and not only this
tournament but so many others. What is this love that you have
for tennis?
MARIA SHARAPOVA: As I said in the ceremony, I don't take
these moments for granted because I know what it's like to be out
and injured and trying to find your way back just to play tennis.
I really enjoy playing this sport. I like the work that I put in, and I
want to get the opportunities to be in the final. So it doesn't
matter if I'm playing on the moon or in Madrid, to be in the final
position is an honor.
I want to take my chance as much as I can, so of course I'm so
happy to win a tournament.

Q. We also saw you giving nice words to Dinara Safina. Let's saw
health is the most important thing.
MARIA SHARAPOVA: Yes, of course. I think for any athlete
in any different sport, you know, maintaining your health, and as
you get older, recovery is so important.
You've seen so many great players go out with injuries and they
can't compete. So it makes me extra happy that I was able to
find a way through injuries and not playing for many months to get
myself in these titles again.

Q. I just want to know about your relation with Sven, who seems
to be a very competitive person as well.
MARIA SHARAPOVA: Uh‑huh.

Q. Do you think this relation will last many more years as it can
be?
MARIA SHARAPOVA: Well, I certainly can't tell the future.
You never know. But from the first time we had our first
meeting I really liked what he said. Usually the transition with a new
coach takes a little bit of time. It felt quite seamless in the
partnership.
Really happy with the team that we've all created, because everyone
gives so much effort and every day works so hard for those
moments, I guess.
I'm really proud of everyone. Just doesn't take one person, it
takes a whole team, so...

Q. Do you measure the success of cooperation with them...
MARIA SHARAPOVA: Of course.

Q. ...on your titles, or how do you measure that?
MARIA SHARAPOVA: Of course I do. You work in many
different areas with each one of them. It's really a team effort.
I know it's just me going out court and them sitting, but every
person's involvement in the team is really important.
It's just as important to invest in the right people in your career.
From someone that takes care of your body to someone that
takes care of your fitness and the coaching, it's everyone's effort
that ultimately comes together.

Q. How are you going to celebrate tonight?
MARIA SHARAPOVA: Get on a plane to Rome. They better
have some champagne for me. I need a drink.

Q. We saw some of your matches with not so many people. We
know the tickets are sold, but what would you say to Madrid's
public? Only Nadal, or it's okay in any case?
MARIA SHARAPOVA: I don't pay attention to that. I'm
happy to be in the draw and playing. I'm happy to be on any
court that I'm given the opportunity to play on.
The support is very meaningful, but this is quite a big stadium.
The lower part of the stadium is very spread out, so if there is no
one in the first few seats it seems like it's empty. That's the
construction of the stadium, and that maybe should have been
changed a long time ago.
Certainly too late now.

Q. Is it special for to you win a title on clay?
MARIA SHARAPOVA: Yes, and to win a big title. All of the
players were here. It was a really tough competition.
Yeah, and I've come really close to winning a title in Madrid, so of
course it's very important.

Q. After winning two titles, will you try to change the preparations
before Roland Garros? Will you try to play as much as you can in
Rome?
MARIA SHARAPOVA: Yeah, my next tournament is Rome, and
once I'm in the draw, I dedicate myself to that tournament.

Q. Sometimes it's hard to see you smile, but in Madrid you are
happy. You are having in a good time in general apart from
winning?
MARIA SHARAPOVA: I think I was smiling a lot on the court,
so I think you can see I'm happy. (Laughter.)
Thanks, guys. Thank you.

#1,298 ·
chiara gambuzza ‏@ChiaraGamTWI
Beautiful Sharapova:"I'm not the queen of clay.Only adapted my game to this surface.I've worked so much to do it"
Courtney Nguyen ‏@FortyDeuceTwits
Sharapova lols at packed press conference. Wasn't the case in Madrid. Quips "Not used to seeing press. I'm just happy to get a question."

#1,299 ·
Maria Sharapova: I’m not the Queen of Clay

ROME — Maria Sharapova has lost just three matches on clay in the last three years — all to No. 1 Serena Williams — and comes into the Italian Open riding an 11-0 streak after winning back-to-back titles in Stuttgart and Madrid.

But ‘The Queen of Clay?’ The 2012 French Open champion isn’t ready for that crown just yet.

“I haven’t thought about myself as the ‘Queen of Clay,’ but I certainly feel that I’ve improved a lot on this surface,” Sharapova told reporters. “I think I really trained myself to become better because I always struggled on it when I was younger. I realized I had no choice but to try to get stronger, prepare better, recover better and work on those things because they don’t just come automatically.”

The title in Stuttgart snapped a 12-month title drought, and Sharapova’s first win under her new coach Sven Groeneveld. Her victory in Madrid boosted her career record on clay to 124-22, giving her the highest winning percentage among active WTA players. Since 2010, eight of her last ten titles have come on clay — an odd twist for a player who made a name for herself on grass and hard courts and won 20 of her first 21 titles came on the fast surfaces.

“It just wasn’t that much fun because I was tall and I never felt very comfortable on it,” Sharapova said of the red dirt. “But I always felt like I learned a lot. I always saw it as a learning experience.”

Has she learned to enjoy playing on it though? Not exactly.

“I enjoy winning on it more than I enjoy playing on it,” Sharapova said.

After a right shoulder injury ended her 2013 season in August, it took Sharapova time to find her form, confidence and match fitness through the early part of this season. For the first time in a decade, Sharapova failed to make a final in the early hard-court season. Her frustration boiled over after Indian Wells, where as the defending champion, she lost 6-3, 4-6, 7-5 to No. 79 Camila Giorgi in the third round. It was her earliest exit from the tournament since 2010.

“I thought I had a good preparation for it and I just didn’t show up the way I wanted to,” she said. “I was disappointed and I wasn’t happy with that result. I had a few days in between that and Miami to really commit and to work and to keep going for it.”

After a short training block, Sharapova came to Miami and battled her way through the early rounds until something finally clicked. She lost to Williams in the semifinals, but finally felt like herself again, with her on-court energy and attitude improved.

“After Miami, I was drinking a mojito in Mexico, and I was quite happy with myself at that point,” she said. “I knew that it was going to be a long season ahead, but I was ready for it. I’m not scared of the work. I was ready to commit.”

The key for Sharapova now is to manage her fitness going into the French Open. The shoulder is healthy, but after winning six matches in eight days last week in Madrid, her body is feeling it. She plays her first match against either Monica Puig or Daniela Hantuchova on Wednesday.

http://tennis.si.com/2014/05/13/maria-sharapova-im-not-the-queen-of-clay/

#1,304 ·
Maria Sharapova admits Ana Ivanovic deserved to go through
Jonny Fordham 15 May 2014
Maria Sharapova couldn’t put together back-to-back tournament wins when she came to Rome.
Ana Ivanovic progressed from their third-round tie 6-1 6-4 with Sharapova.
And Sharapova admitted she was beaten by the better player. Here’s what she had to say after the game.

Maybe it was too tough after Madrid or was she just too good?
No I don’t use Madrid like an excuse. I had a great two weeks, I came here to play a tournament. My energy level today maybe was not the best, but Ana played a really great match, she came out with winners from all over the court and she was the better player, that’s it. She was more aggressive than me, she wasn’t making a lot of mistakes. I felt that when I had a good shot I didn’t do much on the next one. I had opportunities but I didn’t follow through, and hesitated a little bit. She played a great match, if I was a little quicker, more alert, maybe one break point in the last game, maybe the things would have change around. But this can’t take anything away from the last two weeks and I’m quite excited for the week coming up for the Grand Slams.

How do you spend the next 10 days before going to Paris?
I am going to try to recover the next two or three days, settle down in Paris and get my body ready for a week of training. I’ll have a week of training and I think it’ll be very important.

What are you looking forward to now a mental break or a physical break?
A little bit of both. It’s been such routine in the last few weeks, just matches and training without a day off in while. That’ll be nice to have one or two….but overall, it’s a combination. You’re used to do very similar things and mentally you don’t give yourself a break and when you go on court you can feel fresh.
http://www.internazionalibnlditalia...a-admits-ana-ivanovic-deserved-to-go-through/

#1,305 ·
Coaching : les secrets forme de Maria Sharapova
A quelques jours de Roland Garros, Maria Sharapova est montée au premier étage de la Tour Eiffel pour coacher les participantes de la course "We Own The Night", le temps d’une séance d’entraînement créée spécialement par la joueuse de tennis. Interview.
(google's computer translation):
Coaching: the secret form of Maria Sharapova
A few days before Roland Garros , Sharapova is rising to the first floor of the Eiffel Tower to coach participants in the race, " We Own The Night" , the time of a workout specially created by tennis player . Interview.
By Sarah Duverger /May 20 2014 /

Glamour : How was the creation of the workout for the Nike Training Club application?
Maria Sharapova : " The program was created from exercises that I 've done for years They work every muscle in the body and I warn you , you will sweat a lot in a minimum of time ( the program lasts 30min .) . different exercises are linked every 15 or 20 seconds so no time to get bored. "

You would go to the other side of the fence and train athletes later?
" It's fun to teach people what we can do. Sometimes they do not really know where to start , what exercises to follow up the meeting was beneficial. We'll see , I do not know what reserve me the future. "

Your favorite jogging spot ?
the beach

The exercise that you hate the most?
Squats . Regardless of my years of training , it always makes me suffer so much .

And those you prefer?
Those with Gym Ball. I like fun sessions.

What motivates you everyday to go to training?
The sun. Yes, in winter, it can sometimes be complicated.

Advice for girls who want to start the sport?
No matter what sport you choose, it will make you well so go for it. And take care of yourself , it can also be very fun .

It seems that you really like fashion. What are your favorite designers ?
I am a great admirer of the work of Sarah Burton at Alexander McQueen. For red carpet looks , her outfits are my favorite to wear. All day, looks Isabel Marant or Rick Owens suit me well . I like pretty things casual .

Your dressing room without which you can not live ?
My scarves .

You are very large ( 1m88 ) and beautiful. Have you been tempted by a modeling career ?
Never . I 've never actually asked the question , I always wanted to be a tennis player .

And you would want to create your own brand of ready -to-wear ?
I've launched a brand of candy ( Sugarpova ) but clothing is something else. I absolutely love fashion but it is a job in itself and for the moment I do not have the time to devote to it. Maybe later ...

A favorite in Paris when you are passing restaurant ?
In general , I test a lot of restaurant in Le Marais but the address where I was all the time , the Breizh Café, a creperie that I love.

Breizh Café, 111 rue Vieille du Temple, 75003 Paris .

A place in Paris where you rêveriez go ?
I have not ever had the opportunity to ride on a boat and take a ride on the Seine. Maybe this year?

What can you wish for the next Roland Garros ?
Win the trophy twice. That is my goal .

Thank you to Nike.

http://www.glamourparis.com/people/...ng-les-secrets-forme-de-maria-sharapova/22869

#1,308 ·
Grazia.Fr: The Express Interview - Maria Sharapova
Posted on May 21, 2014

We met the beautiful and successful Maria Sharapova on the first floor of the Eiffel tower. Between two tournaments, the champion has time to be part of the training sessions of the feminine run We Own the Night organized by her sponsor, Nike. She developed her own training session on the NTC app. We tested and we approved (it really works and we have stiffness!) and we couldn't resist to ask her some questions. She is very nice, very tall and that could give us complexes. But we are smart and we did the interview sat on our chairs!

Do you prefer running in the morning or training by night?
Morning, I prefer starting my day by running. It is easier to enjoy the rest of my day.

Rather recovery smoothie or energizing drink?
Smoothies, definitely! I love smoothies. I do homemade green juices.

Rather chocolate bar or fruit salad?
Fruit salad. I am a big fan of fruits! (Laughs)

Rather Air Max Shoes or Flyknit?
I run with Flyknit because they are perfect for running sessions and I wear my Air Max with some jeans, by day. It is hard to make a choice. The two pair of shoes are different, so I take both.

Rather Roland Garros or Wimbledon?
It is a tricky question, isn't it? (Laughs) Well… it is hard to make a choice but sorry, I would say Wimbledon because it is the first big slam that I won.

Rather Zen music or electro pop music?
No Zen music. I need dynamic music. Especially when I run. It gives me courage. I often create my playlists on Spotify, I put some hip-hop music and many others styles. It is very various.
http://www.mariasharapova.com/news/graziafr-the-express-interview-maria-sharapova.aspx

#1,309 ·
Early Rome defeat was a blessing for Sharapova
By Julien Pretot
(Reuters) - Maria Sharapova is not the sort to take defeat lightly yet the former world number one believes her early exit at the Italian Open could be a blessing in disguise for the French Open.

The Russian, seeded seventh in Paris, won back-to-back claycourt titles in Stuttgart and Madrid but her run came to an end when Ana Ivanovic beat her in the third round in Rome.

"I think it gave me a few extra days maybe to rest," Russian Sharapova, the 2012 French Open champion and runner-up last year, told reporters.

"To get on the courts as soon you can and get as many hours on the big courts as you might get before everybody else comes.

"So in a way it's been great to have that."

Sharapova completed her career grand slam in Paris two years ago as she finally mastered a surface that baffled her on occasions in previous years.

Her wins in Stuttgart and Madrid underlined just how comfortable and confident she now feels on clay.

"I had great preparation. I had two great tournaments and had really tough matches, easier matches," she said.

"I think a lot has been thrown at me in the last few weeks in all the matches I have played, and I think that's great for, you know, coming into a big tournament like this."

The 27-year-old has seen her career interrupted by shoulder problems down the years but says the hunger to add more grand slam titles to the four she owns is still there.

"I want to achieve more and I want to win more grand Slams and I want to get back to No.1," she said.

"I think when you have that feeling of being there before and holding those trophies, they are so memorable.

"To feel that excitement, to feel that energy, that adrenaline for those moments."

Sharapova faces a tough task to reach the final with world number one Serena Williams a likely quarter-final opponent.

"I don't look too far ahead, but I'm not scared to see like who I would play later down the line," she said.
http://uk.reuters.com/article/2014/05/23/uk-tennis-open-sharapova-idUKKBN0E31DK20140523

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.