Tennis Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Danish Delight - Caroline Wozniacki thread - vol 3

497K views 5K replies 172 participants last post by  Frode 
#1 ·
This to celebrate that the very promising Danish talent Caroline Wozniacki won her first Danish senior championship today, the youngest ever player to do so.

Go Caroline and congratulations on your first title!

This picture is an older one, but it was the best I had as no pictures from the Danish Championships have appeared yet.

See less See more
#2,982 · (Edited)
If we count from 4-5 in he first set against Pennetta in Montreal, Caro has now gone 12-5 against five opponents in a row! From the match stats it sounds like Caro's serve was pretty shaky in the beginning (and maybe Cibulkova returned well), but after that treatment for a stiff back (hopefully nothing a good massage can't cure) she got her grove back.

Wozniacki got off to a rough start, and was down 4-3 in the first set. In between games, she got some treatment for a stiff back and responded by giving up just two points the rest of the set.

"I was telling myself, 'I want to play, move your feet, come on let's go,'" Wozniacki said. "We don't want to play three sets of course, I want to win in two."
It really says something about Caro's attitude she wasn't thinking; "I don't want to lose this set because then I might lose the match." Instead she was thinking; "I don't want to lose this set because I don't want to play 3 sets to win."! :worship:

Now it's Pennetta again. FP may be a bit tired of drawing Caro all the time, it's their 5th meeting since July last year! Caro is 4-0 H2H as I think we all know. Three of their four meetings have gone to 3 sets, but Caro's one straight sets win was here at NH last year where she dropped only - you guessed it - 5 games!

Edit: New blog from Caro. http://blog.tv2.dk/caroline.tv2/

#2,984 · (Edited)
If we count from 4-5 in he first set against Pennetta in Montreal, Caro has now gone 12-5 against five opponents in a row! From the match stats it sounds like Caro's serve was pretty shaky in the beginning (and maybe Cibulkova returned well), but after that treatment for a stiff back (hopefully nothing a good massage can't cure) she got her grove back.

Maybe she was thinking of her after party with the 100 jocks that made her hand tremble in the first set.

The stats seem to say that she is concistent at the moment while being attacking, a really good way to go into USO.

She will be playing Pennetta On Stadium tonight at 7pm EST 01:00 CEST.

It will have to be E Player or a stream this evening.

#2,983 ·
Nice win! Caro must have struggled a bit in the firt set but second set seems great (Domi winning just 13 points).

Caroline's schedule has always been quite heavy but compared with a few other players she hasn't played too many matches lately even though she won at Montreal. She has had 1st round byes in all her American/Canadian tournaments and hasn't played many doubles matches either.

Caroline has played 8 singles matches so far in Cincinnati, Montreal and New Haven, while Pennetta has played 9, and Bartoli 10 singles matches at the same tournaments!

If we include doubles matches, then Pennetta has played 16 matches at these tournaments (9 singles and 7 doubles) while Wozniacki has played 10 matches (8 singles and 2 doubles). It's actually not a horryfying schedule for Caroline. But I'm still not convinced that Wozniacki is willing to dig too deep at New Haven. Getting into another 3 hour long battle with Pennetta like at Roland Garros may not be wise (for either of them)! We'll know about that tonight...

#2,985 · (Edited)
US Open Draw

[1] Caroline Wozniacki vs. Chelsey Gullickson
Chang Kai-Chen vs. Carla Suarez Navarro
Anne Keothavong vs. Chan Yung-Jan
Qualifier vs. Lucie Safarova [26]

[18] Aravane Rezai vs. Magdalena Rybarikova
Beatrice Capra vs. Karolina Sprem
Qualifier vs. Iveta Benesova
Jarmila Groth vs. Maria Sharapova [14]

[11] Svetlana Kuznetsova vs. Kimiko Date Krumm
Regina Kulikova vs. Anastasija Sevastova
Yvonne Meusburger vs. Jill Craybas
Barbora Zahlavova Strycova vs. Maria Kirilenko [23]

[30] Yaroslava Shvedova vs. Qualifier
Anna Chakvetadze vs. Urszula Radwanska
Dominika Cibulkova vs. Stefanie Voegele
Kateryna Bondarenko vs. Li Na [8]

-*-

[4] Jelena Jankovic vs. Simona Halep
Alicia Molik vs. Qualifier
Chanelle Scheepers vs. Qualifier
Alize Cornet vs. Kaia Kanepi [31]

[22] Maria Jose Martinez Sanchez vs. Jamie Hampton
Kirsten Flipkens vs. Patty Schnyder
Romina Oprandi vs. Julia Goerges
Alla Kudryavtseva vs. Yanina Wickmayer [15]

[9] Agnieszka Radwanska vs. Arantxa Parra Santonja
Peng Shuai vs. Shelby Rogers
Bethanie Mattek-Sands vs. Anabel Medina Garrigues
Andrea Petkovic vs. Nadia Petrova [17]

[25] Alexandra Dulgheru vs. Julie Coin
Sofia Arvidsson vs. Sorana Cirstea
Coco Vandeweghe vs. Sabine Lisicki
Qualifier vs. Vera Zvonareva [7]

-*-

[6] Francesca Schiavone vs. Ayumi Morita
Qualifier vs. Sophie Ferguson
Melanie Oudin vs. Qualifier
Vera Dushevina vs. Alona Bondarenko [29]

[20] Anastasia Pavlyuchenkova vs. Kristina Barrois
Qualifier vs. Qualifier
Gisela Dulko vs. Angelique Kerber
Qualifier vs. Victoria Azarenka [10]

[16] Shahar Peer vs. Jelena Kostanic Tosic
Pauline Parmentier vs. Alberta Brianti
Agnes Szavay vs. Sandra Zahlavova
Qualifier vs. Flavia Pennetta [19]

[32] Tsvetana Pironkova vs. Renata Voracova
Polona Hercog vs. Qualifier
Qualifier vs. Ksenia Pervak
Roberta Vinci vs. Venus Williams [3]

-*-

[5] Samantha Stosur vs. Elena Vesnina
Bojana Jovanovski vs. Anastasia Rodionova
Sara Errani vs. Tathiana Garbin
Johanna Larsson vs. Alisa Kleybanova [28]

[24] Daniela Hantuchova vs. Dinara Safina
Vania King vs. Christina McHale
Qualifier vs. Sybille Bammer
Olga Govortsova vs. Elena Dementieva [12]

[13] Marion Bartoli vs. Edina Gallovits
Virginie Razzano vs. Klara Zakopalova
Ana Ivanovic vs. Ekaterina Makarova
Timea Bacsinszky vs. Zheng Jie [21]

[27] Petra Kvitova vs. Lucie Hradecka
Elena Baltacha vs. Petra Martic
Qualifier vs. Aleksandra Wozniak
Greta Arn vs. Kim Clijsters [2]

#2,987 · (Edited)
Caro shouldn't be troubled for the first 3 rounds, but then it's likely Sharapova or Rezai. If she makes it to QF; Lina or Kuznetsova.

Vika's draw isn't bad. Possible Schiavone (or Oudin?) in R16. Pennetta or Venus (who's a big ?) in QF.

One of the interesting floaters, Ivanovic has a possible 2R vs Zheng and 3R vs Bartoli.

Another interesting floater, Safina vs Hantuchova in 1R, Dementieva in 3R.

#2,989 ·
I wouldn't post this in GM but actually I'm rather pleased with a potential Caro Vs Masha .. some of the Masha fans in GM are simply annoying beyond belief and it would be a big pleasure to see Caro kick Masha's arse .. :lol: .. oh the whining. :angel: .. I should probably also add, I have nothing but respect for Masha. Her grit determination and commitment is 2nd to none.

#2,990 ·
I would like to see Caro vs Sharapova, too. A 50-50 match, I think (and a huge feather in Caro's cap if she wins). I'm 95% certain Caro will make it to R16 (bar injuries). I'm less sure about Sharapova.

#2,992 ·
There is no match tonight as Flavia gave a walkover. :sad:

#2,997 ·
Too bad for Flavia. I hope it's nothing serious and just extra precaution before USO. But it does take a bit of the load off Caro who should arrive in NY withoout being too worn down now.
Next is Dementieva or Bartoli who are just starting 3rd set. I'd like Caro to have the chance to avenge her Cincinatti loss against Bartoli, and a match against Dementieva could be a very long affair. Either one Caro'll be the better rested.

#2,998 · (Edited)
Caroline hasn't met Sharapova since 2008, and things have changed a lot since then.

Especially recently, Caroline's game has changed a lot. Sharapova has had all that shoulder injury/operation/game modification thing. Even though as a tennis player that must have been really tough, and she has my sympathy, it hasn't made it any harder for Caroline if she should meet her in the 4th.

But anything can happen, last year Cirstea beat Caroline 2 times and then in USO she bashed her 3 & 2.

And Kuneztova was the big favorite in their match, I didn't see it coming, but Caroline fought and fought and brought it off.

Recently that old fighting spirit has shown up, + the serve has got better, the forhand is much better, even a volley and stop ball now and again, and she is now taking control of the match, as well as finishing off in 2 by being determined.

My point is that I think she can take it too most of her opponents now, so I don't see anybody (apart from Serena W) who she can't win against on a good day (Serena W on an exceptional day)
So the only thing to do is wait and see how the cookie crumbles.

I have this hope she will win the next 2 matches at New Haven in 2 quickly, we know she would rather play than practice, and then go into USO with 3 titles in 4 weeks, winner of the Series, and bursting with confidence.
THEN it will be interesting how it goes.

And its now, sorry Pennetta 4 of 13 ****

#3,001 · (Edited)
Caro has now already won the US Open series with Falvia's withdrawal. The only other contender left, Bartoli can't reach her anymore even if she wins the final.

http://www.usopenseries.com/Standings

Caro now has 140 points.
If Bartoli wins the final she will end with 135 points

http://www.tennisforum.com/showthread.php?p=18122091#post18122091

PLAYERS WHO ARE TIED ARE NOT LISTED IN THE RIGHT ORDER.

Ranking that includes only players with already 2 scores this Series:
Code:
 Place         Name        Stanford   San Diego   Cincinnati   Montreal   New Haven    Total

1       C.Wozniacki*        0           0           15        100         25         140
   2       K.Clijsters         0           0          100         25          0         125
   T3      M.Sharapova        45           0           70          0          0         115
           S.Kuznetsova        0          70            0         45          0         115
           V.Azarenka         70           0            0         45          0         115
   6       A.Radwanska        25          45           15         15          0         100
   7       V.Zvonareva         0           0           15         70          0          85
   T8      F.Pennetta*         0          25           25         15         15          80
           M.Bartoli*         15           0           25         25         15          80
   10      S.Stosur*          25          15            0          0         15          55
   11      E.Dementieva*      15           0            0         15         15          45 
   T12     Y.Wickmayer        15           0           25          0          0          40
           M.Kirilenko*       15           0            0          0          25         40 
   T14     S.Peer              0          15           15          0          0          30
           N.Li                0           0           15         15          0          30 
           D.Safina            0           0            0         15          15         30
http://www.usopenseries.com/Standings/Bonus_Challenge

#3,007 ·
Dementieva finally closes out the match on her 7th MP. She's been playing +6 hrs the last two days and her legs probably weren't at their best to begin with. Caro should win their SF on better stamina if nothing else. USO must be in ED's head as well. If their match goes to 3 sets is she willing to go all the way to win and play the final, too? She risks showing up in NY all worn down.
Petrova spanked Stosur and faces Kirilenko in the other SF.

#3,010 ·
You haven't heard? Pennetta withdrew with an injury.

#3,013 ·
We probably won't see tomorrow's schedule until the men have finished their matches. My guess is Caro gets the late match again to give Dementieva time to recover. Both Petrova and Kirilenko had pretty short matches today and finished before ED so logical to put them first.

#3,014 ·
We probably won't see tomorrow's schedule until the men have finished their matches. My guess is Caro gets the late match again to give Dementieva time to recover. Both Petrova and Kirilenko had pretty short matches and finished earlier so logical to put them first.
I think the same. Both matches will be streamed right?

#3,016 ·
Tough draw, but if she loses to Maria it means she lost to an in-form Sharapova, who will hopefully win the whole thing. I'd rather Caro make it at least the QF, but I won't be upset if she goes out 4R to Masha.

Anyone know how many points she'll lose if she does down in the 4th round?

#3,020 ·
Yeah I didn't know F - 4R was that different. :eek: Oh well, if she can't defend the F she really doesn't deserve to be #2. It would be one thing if she made another Slam SF this year, or all QFs, but her Slam results have been poor. So I won't be sad to see her go down to #7-#8 if it gets her motivated to improve even more next year.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.