Tennis Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Danish Delight - Caroline Wozniacki thread - vol 6

419K views 5K replies 83 participants last post by  James 
#1 · (Edited by Moderator)
The last volume has passed 5000 posts, time to start a new one.

See less See more
#3,555 ·
Kuznetsova would like to chime in as well...

#3,556 · (Edited)
1 RADWANSKA, Agnieszka POL
2 QUALIFIER
3 KONTA, Johanna GBR
4 HSIEH, Su-Wei TPE
5 ZAKOPALOVA, Klara CZE
6 SAFAROVA, Lucie CZE
7 STOSUR, Samantha AUS
8 PETROVA, Nadia RUS

9 KERBER, Angelique GER
10 CIRSTEA, Sorana ROU
11 QUALIFIER
12 MAKAROVA, Ekaterina RUS
13 QUALIFIER
14 ROBSON, Laura GBR
15 PASZEK, Tamira AUT
16 WOZNIACKI, Caroline DEN

Rest of draw: http://www.lta.org.uk/3G/Tournaments/AEGONInternational/Draws/2013/WMDS.pdf

#3,565 ·
If Caro's progress in the rankings depends on beating players better than her on a particular surface, then improving in the rankings is going to be very difficult. :shrug:

I don't know about you, but I consider Paszek to be a better grass court player than Caro even before this season. :shrug:

#3,560 ·
I like how we're trying to convince each other who's worse: Caro or Tamira! Caroline has lost to a player, Qiang Wang, who had no top 100 wins before beating Caroline, and Qiang Wang was ranked #186. How about that?

There are no easy draws for Caroline these days. But I agree with Ozza. Caroline must start playing like a #9 and win the matches she's supposed to win.

#3,562 ·
I think her overall level of play, and her determination to fight for matches is much more important than whether she wins a round or 2.
She used to be in semis 15 of 19 tournaments. She's a past champion here.
So I dont care if the draw is hard. I want to see high level play and fighting for each point.
Until we see that, a soft draw wont mean much (like in Charleston, couldnt have a softer trip to the semis and she lost to Voegele)

#3,564 ·
She wouldn't make the racquet black if it was Yonex racquet, I would think she can use and try out any Yonex racquet by her being singed to them so it will have to be another company racquet i guessing ?

#3,566 ·
Assuming the black racket is a Babolat or any non-Yonex for the matter, she can train with that all she wants, when she plays an official match, surely her Yonex contract will stipulate, she will have to play with a Yonex.

Training with one racket and playing match with another, is just a recipe for disaster.

The days where footballers could promote Nike and get away with painting over the 3 Adidas stripes on their match shoes, are long gone.

#3,568 ·
Thats an important decision. Dont want to break a contract unless you are sure you would rather have the other stick

#3,574 · (Edited)
True, I just looked up how the matches were priced up. Wozniacki was 1.5 (1/2) to beat Lisicki and 1.28 (2/7) to beat Kvitova so she was favoured to win both matches (and heavily favoured to beat Kvitova).

The oddsmakers also rank Paszek around 30th on this surface. In comparison Caro is ranked approximately 18th, so Caro will be favoured to win.

#3,573 ·
Paszek nowhere near top 10 on grass not get me wrong it her best surface best but she not top 10. Top 10 player on grass IMO is Venus, Serena, Agnieszka, Lisicki, Kvitova, Maria & Vika, I wouldn't put Vera Z. in it but she currently not playing due to Injury. Paszek to me is like Pironkova an drakhouse who can cause an upset here & There. But anyway Caroline should win this consider the slump Paszek don't get me wrong caroline in an slump as well but I don't think it as worst as hers.

#3,575 ·
When I saw the draw I thought that sucks I mean why Paszek first?? Defending champ who beat her at Wimbledon last so it's very dangerous and then Kerber potentially in round 3 or Quarters forgot how it works :smash: but she cannot afford another early exit it will just be to hard to bear. And she needs to get back on track, only one win on clay so lets hope she has great grass season. :)

#3,577 ·
Still practicing with blacked out racket!
There might not be anyone here who shares my sense of humor on this(and it's a moot point cuz Caro's too sweet:angel: to ever do this), but I'd just love it if she wore a T-shirt at this practice which read--in either Danish or Polish: 'You wanna know which racquet I'm using here? GO F--K YOURSELF!' :p

#3,578 ·
After this clay season, she needs something different.
I thought last year on clay was bad, but this clay season Caro only won 1 match since she caddied before The Masters. That was early April, now its mid-June

#3,581 ·
Caroline should rest after Wimbledon. She needs to be healthy for hardcourt summer.
She never plays anymore. Its like 1 match every week or 2. If she's injured, its probably during practice sessions.
Her practice sessions seem to be making her worse, or not slowing down the negative downturn.

They should be examining everything they do in practice. The goal of a practice is to improve. Its not a punishment like hard labor by convicts. Its about improving - the only reason to have practice is to improve

#3,585 ·
Are all the other R1 matches Tuesday? If so, some major names are going to get shafted in Tuesday's OOP. You've got Radwanska, Li, Kerber, Caro, Petrova (vs Stosur). Robson for sure is on centre court even vs a qualifier given BBC are televising the event. Then you have the other Brits as well. All that has to fit into 4 or 5 TV matches I think, by no means any guarantee Caro's match gets chosen, albeit Paszek being reigning champion might benefit her.

#3,587 ·
I wonder when she will reveal what the new racquet she training with ? nine time outta ten an commentator will speak upon it

#3,592 ·
I wonder when she will reveal what the new racquet she training with ? nine time outta ten an commentator will speak upon it
I wouldn't expect any deep insights from the commentators. Maybe it is just the ones that I hear but they seem to be reading from a script circa 2010/2011 regarding Caroline and her game. Typically you just hear the same rehashed comments ("best defender in the game," "makes you work for every point," "great mental toughness"). None of those have been true for well over a year but they keep being parroted endlessly.

#3,590 ·
Can remember when Seles was given a saved ranking based more on the player she USED to be than the player who she actually was at that time.The situations here aren't the same at all, and yet it almost feels to me, sometimes, that Caroline has such a saved ranking that doesn't reflect who she currently is. I realize that that's sort of illusory but can't help feeling that way on occasion

#3,593 ·
Remember how many times we're heard about, how hard Caro hits the ball in practice?

Juuuuuust a matter of turning practice into match play. Well, she's may now going back to Babolat .. with which she did hit harder. Smaller sweet spot, but more powerful (as explained in some of the articles in the articles thread).

So all those stories about how she hit the cover off the ball in practice, were just porkies?

#3,594 ·
Remember how many times we're heard about, how hard Caro hits the ball in practice?

So all those stories about how she hit the cover off the ball in practice, were just porkies?
That was the beginning of the end. When Caro & her team decided that hitting hard and making a lot more unforced errors was the way to play.
But its almost 2 years since she was blowing a 5-1 lead to lose in 2 sets to Vinci, then lose in 2 sets to Mchale.
Thats enough time to correct what Caro was doing wrong, if its correctable

#3,595 ·
Is that considered insulting, at all, in tennis lingo when commentators claim that Caroline hit well in practice? If it were one of the various team sports that I follow, such a comment might get made once or twice--after which it would get tiresome and never get mentioned again......It would just be assumed that said athlete lacked the poise, or whatever quality, to reproduce good results in actual games/matches

#3,597 ·
Well, since you posted it verbatim, it didn't require any deduction:silly:. I, however, had a somewhat DIFFERENT point......which was that it's a little insulting to refer to Caroline as a good 'practice player', IMO. It sort of suggests that she's too mentally weak to reproduce those results under match-play pressure. It's almost like saying that someone's a good poker player when he's just playing the hands for fun...with no money at stake

#3,599 ·
^ TJ her Old coach used too say it alot when he was coaching her

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.