Tennis Forum banner

Cincinnati 2013: Hardcourt Struggle Tennis

20K views 206 replies 57 participants last post by  Abuttons 
#1 ·

:cheer: :cheer: :cheer: :cheer: Let's do this, Pova! :cheer: :cheer: :cheer: :cheer:

See less See more
#5 ·
Re: Cincinnati 2013: Hardcourt Glory, Hallelujah! Hardcourt Glory In The Queen City!

So nervous/excited to watch Maria's first match here. It's almost like how I feel during her first match of the season :lol:

#10 ·
Re: Cincinnati 2013: Hardcourt Glory, Hallelujah! Hardcourt Glory In The Queen City!

Do not expect too much. First tournament after nearly 2 months out usually means rusty play. The most important is to test the new things which Jimmy introduced.
I agree with that. I just want her to get 3 or 4 solid matches in, working on her timing, working on her rhythm, and getting mentally locked in to playing competitive tennis again. If she looks relatively good and makes a deep run, that's a bonus. Maria gets a free pass in this tournament, no matter what happens. I think it's best to wait until New York to really critique her form. I know Maria will be playing Cincy to win, but I consider it a practice run.

I realize it's 2 different situations, 2 different players, comparing Maria to someone else, but look at Vika in Carlsbad. Even though she made the final, she looked awful in those last 2 matches against Ivanovic and Stosur. Serve was off, groundstrokes were off, timing was off, tons of errors, very few winners, and she looked 2 or 3 steps too slow. Not surprising after an injury and long lay-off for a player. And then she said her ankle was still an issue and she withdrew from Toronto as a precaution.

So, for Maria, I just want her to get out of Cincy with her health and more confidence in her game heading into the US Open. Some rough play will be expected and acceptable.

#7 ·

Wasn't the consensus not to make the thread until Maria is physically present at Cincy? :lol:

#11 ·

YAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAS :rocker2:
I won't, and can't expect much results-wide but I'm eager to see her playing :hearts:

#14 ·

That giant urn, flop against Kimothy, and epic Poova against Jankovic :crying2:
Didn't Maria hurt her ankle at some point during that match against Clijsters? But yes, those match points :sobbing:

And JJ :bowdown: :bowdown:

#18 ·

So glad that (it looks like) she's playing here. Even if she loses her first match, I think even that would be better than going into the US Open with no match practice whatsoever.

Like others, I'm hoping for the best but have low expectations for next week.

#22 ·

PLEASE GOD. I just want to her to go forward more often. Not want her to be the next Momo or something but just come to the net to finish points off. Weirdly enough, it is when she's inconsistent the most from the baseline that she rushes to the net the most, with quite success actually.

#28 ·

so she is playing afterall?
im eagerly awaiting the birth of Serve&VolleyPova next week then:hearts:

#37 · (Edited)

Gosh, I feel like the fan of some vulture for saying this, but please let her get an easy 1st round! :scared: Someone like Vesnina or Radwanska the Lesser would be perfect.
Maria will start with R2 and most likely will face a top 32 level player, such as Cirstea or Cibulkova.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.