Tennis Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Danish Delight - Caroline Wozniacki thread - vol 5

355K views 5K replies 85 participants last post by  James 
#1 ·
The last volume has passed 5000 posts, time to start a new one. It's not the most positive of times with Caro just losing the #1 ranking and firing her coach, but while there isn't much we can do about that we can at least try to keep a civil tone here, even if we're somewhat frustrated about the way Caro's career is going right now. Ok?

Volume 4
Volume 3
Volume 2
Volume 1

See less See more
#4,098 ·
OK, ladies and gentlemen, boys and girls and those in between, here are my homemade stats:

1st set Forehand: Caro 2W, 7 UE. Kaia 4W, 15 UE. Backhand Caro 3W, 7 UE. Kaia: 1W, 5 UE.
2nd set Forehand: Caro 4W, 2 UE. Kaia2W, 4UE. Backhand Caro 1W, 0 UE Kaia 1W 5 UE.

Caro pinned Kaia constently to the baseline with hard heavy shots every time Kaia tried to sneak in. She mixed speeds really well, especially with her forehand, and she returned serve exceptionally well. The number of winners Caro hit is deceiving, because she hit a lot that Kaia barely got her racquet on.

I just hope today gave Caro confidence in her forehand. This was practice Caro playing a match.

I'm just afraid she'll forget all about it tomorrow.

Here are a couple of graphics they threw up on the screen.

1 set Caro's shot distribution:

Her return of serve at 2-0 in the second set:

#4,099 ·
This is the 12th time Caro has won as the #1 seed in a tournament. :)

Korea is the 10th different country she has won a title in. :)

Kanepi is the 3rd player Caro has beaten twice in a final. :) Vesnina and Zvonareva are the other two.

This is the fewest games Caro has lost in a final. :) Her previous record was 2 games against Dushevina in the 2008 Stockholm final.

I'm really glad Caro continued her 4 year streak of winning at least 1 wta singles title. :)

Congrats Caro on winning your 1st title of the year and 19th of your career!!! :)

#4,100 ·
Tough draw for Caro. :( Hopefully she continues her form and momentum from Seoul into this tournament. :)

Good luck Caro. :)

#4,101 ·
Long matches against Makarova & this one.
Most players dont play an Intl before 2 Tier I's, but Caro is scrambling to get to Istanbul

This will test her fitness. But certainly good to see a winning streak. Already by far her longest in 2012

#4,104 ·
Yeah, Korea was planned. But its still a scramble to get to istanbul, probably as a reserve.
She didnt win more than 4 matches in a row all year, so this is an accomplishment, even if she's not playing any top 20 players, still 6 wins in a row

#4,115 ·
Yeah, Korea was planned. But its still a scramble to get to istanbul, probably as a reserve.
She didnt win more than 4 matches in a row all year, so this is an accomplishment, even if she's not playing any top 20 players, still 6 wins in a row
Kanepi?

#4,106 ·
Is this new racquet she's supposedly using a new or upcoming racquet from Yonex? I'm wondering if it might just be a paint job on her old stick.

#4,109 ·
Thats something players have to look at their whole careers. Best racket/string combination for them.
The technology changes. If you watch old tennis tapes, in 1980 USO SF Connors was using T-2000 & McEnroe used wood.
In 1984 USO SF Connors & McEnore both had oversized rackets.

Now the recent technology is strings, and some strings go better with some rackets (like Babolat & their synth)

#4,112 ·
Would someone who caught the video please tell me how Caroline's reaction was after winning the final??If she appeared truly joyful,that's great:);if she appeared kind of subdued,that could mean a couple different things,at least.One would be that her love for tennis had waned significantly:eek:,but another might be that Caro had higher aspirations and was dissatisfied with winning an International.If she WAS subdued,the second option I mentioned would be far more preferable than the first.

#4,116 ·
Yeah, she's top 20, but that was her 1st tournament since the FO.
Okay she has a top 20 win, but 61 60 makes you wonder if she was playing top 20 that final

#4,117 ·
Not only has Caro won 6 matches in a row, she has gone 6 matches in a row without losing her first serve game! Actually I think Caro has only lost one serve game in the 6 first sets, at 5-1 against Zakopalova! Caro has been very convincing in all the first sets, not allowing the opponent more than two games with an overall score of 36-7!

#4,121 ·
I really am puzzled by that result: she's been far more effective with 2nd serve (mostly in the 1st) than with the 1st and still didn't face a single BP...yesterday she was a mess :sobbing: she's so unlogical of a late...against Li it will be a lot tougher though and sadly it will all be on Li's racket
If that's true it doesn't matter if Caroline plays a good match or not.

#4,123 ·
If I play against Roger Federer and Nadal .. at the same time, two against one ... and I go out there and simply just BASH every single ball I get near, as hard as I possibly can ... I would guess, I'd make 100 UE and perhaps, if I'm lucky, 1 Winner ... but I will proudly claim after the match : IT WAS ALL ON MY RACKET.

#4,124 ·
I don't know how you play, so no offence taken, but Li Na is a player of a completely different level than you. Li Na has proved over the years that she's not just a random ballbasher and I'm not saying that players must be only aggressive-styled to win matches or (even worse) to deserve winning them.
Just I feel that considered the level of Caroline those days, a lot of her chances are depending on Li Na's quality of tennis tomorrow...

#4,126 · (Edited)
Dani is kind of a bad omen for Caro and I'm not just talking about the humiliating defeat at FO last year.
Olympics 2008: Caro beats Dani, loses next match against Dementieva.
Miami 2011: Caro beats Dani, loses next match against Petkovic.
Olympics 2012: Caro beats Dani, loses next match against Serena.
The only time this sad statistics was broken was at Ponte Vedra Beach 2009, where Caro the day after beating Dani managed to survive 4 MPs and a near heatstroke against Vesnina.
Tokyo 2012: Caro beats Dani, the next match...?

This will be the first time Caro isn't the higher ranked when playing against Li Na. And it'll be the first time since 2008 the two are facing off outside of Australia. Australia has been bad luck for Caro in this H2H (1-3, but just one point from 2-2, as I think we all know), what about Asia?
I'd say Caro is a slight underdog but Li was never the most stable of players. If Caro can keep Li back with deep groundstrokes and take the initiative when the opening is there, I think our girl has a fair chance.

#4,127 ·
I'd say Caro is a slight underdog but Li was never the most stable of players. If Caro can keep Li back with deep groundstrokes and take the initiative when the opening is there, I think our girl has a fair chance.
Caroline has a chance but I agree that Na is the favorite. Na has been playing well in patches this year and since Rodriguez started coaching her she seems to play with renewed confidence.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.