Tennis Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Difference between ATP and WTA top 20 in men's tennis it means something special.

9K views 55 replies 36 participants last post by  miffedmax 
#1 · (Edited)
I got a good laugh at people being excited because certain players on the WTA tour reached the top 20. However, there are a lot of vultures in women's tennis who play a lot of smaller events and rise into the top 20.

People complain that the WTA doesn't get the respect from the MEDIA as the ATP but it is for GOOD REASON.

Look at the players ranked number 11 to 20 on the WTA Tour most of them don't deserve to be there.

Only Sloane Stephens, Cibulkova, and maybe Kirilenko are competitive with the top 10. But the rest, Ana Ivanovic is a punching bag for the top they just beat her time and time again and again.

In women's tennis anyone can reach the top 20 by playing a lot of events or having satisfactory results.

Look at Varvara Lepechenko this lady was in the top 20 last year but for what? What did Lepechenko accomplish? She reached the fourth round of the French Open and a bunch of third rounds no big results.

The points system in the WOMEN's TOUR needs to be FIXED. A lot of scrubs are getting into the top 20 that it doesn't mean much anymore.

People like Karla Zakapalova, what big results has this lady have to be top 20? Meanwhile, on the ATP Tour Kei Nishikori a young Japanese player he won an ATP 500 event in Memphis this year and the Japan Open another ATP 500 last year. Nishikori also beat Novak Djokovic in Basel a few yeas ago he's clearly on the up.

Milos Raonic has a 2-1 record against Andy Murray the number 2 ranked player in the world. Raonic has also beaten other top 10 players such as Richard Gasquet, Tomas Berdych, Janko Tipsarevic, and top 20 players such as Marin Cilic.

On the WTA Carla Suarez Navarro is in the top 20,what has this lady done that was extraordinary to get into the top 20? I can't remember Navarro doing anything special to be top 20?

However, on the ATP TOUR now, if a man reaches the top 20 that's something special, it proves A LOT.

Tommy Haas is 34 years old yet he's ranked in the top 20 and he just BEAT Novak Djokovic the number one player in the world.

In women's tennis a player ranked number 14 isn't going to beat Serena Williams.

Men's tennis is so competitive now that to reach the top 20 shows a lot that a guy is playing well, consistent, he's having good wins and he's got some weapons.

I looked over the WTA top 20 list and it is complete joke a lot of these ladies certainly won't make the top 10. And these ladies will not be a factor in the future.

The only real depth in women's tennis it seems is in the top 10 to be honest, and only because the top 3 players are the true elite. In the top 10 there are different levels similar to the ATP Tour. The top 4 in men's tennis are the gold standard they win all the slams and all the big events. Similar to the WTA now which is a good thing.

However, the players ranked 4 to 10 such as Radwanska, Li Na, Stosur, Kvitova, are solid players who can once in a while beat the top 3.

At the bottom of the top 10 is Caroline Wozniacki and I actually think it is great she's ranked 10th because it shows her decline. It was such a disgrace a few years ago this lady being ranked number 1 yet NEVER reaching a slam final while ranked number one. All the Wozniacki fans made a ton of excuses but it showed clearly Wozniacki wasn't the best player in the world but she's a vulture so she racked up the points to be number one.

Now. Wozniacki is in a slump because she refuses to ditch her crazy dad as her coach and become an independent woman. Expect more of the same from Wozniacki she either gets rid of her dad, get serious change her game or continue to have the unsatisfactory results.

See less See more
#7 ·
Did you mean to type in MENStennisforum.com??

Reactions: Nina. and Charlatan
#8 ·
let's be honest , in both tours there are too much scrubs, headcases , overachievers, vultures and other mugs, Rafa slaying the whole field in Indian Wells after not playing a single match on hardcourts for a year proved that most of ATP players are as useless as most of WTA..... Hingis, Henin and other retired great playes can beat even now most of WTA players like dinosaur Haas did in Miami with ATP players.

#10 ·
You're being very selective.

You can throw loads of stupid stats around to argue completely different things (if we looked at the amount of slam winners in the top 20, the women would win, comfortably - does that say that the WTA top 20 is better or that it is easier to win a slam in women's tennis? No doubt you'd argue the latter) but at the end of the day it's all relative and can't be compared.

#14 ·
ATP top 20 is just more competitive and there are reasons for that. I'm pretty sure there are more male than female players so the competition is tougher on men's side. And for decades, men's tennis was more important. For sure that means women's tennis isn't as well developed as men's tennis, meaning bigger differences in players abilities on WTA than on ATP.

But ranking system may affect to that too. Runner-up getting 70% of winner's points instead of 60% on ATP, makes it easier to vulture big points. At ATP winning is rewarded more, meaning mentally stronger players who are able to win matches and titles profit more.

WTA seems to have more headcases. GS semis and finals sometimes are almost a lottery about who chokes the least and wins the title.

So when did this become the Mens Tennis Forum? This type of thread is suppose to not be allowed. Move this crap to MTF.
This is equally about ATP and WTA, how would this belong to MTF but not here?

#13 ·
Can people please stop being so insecure? Asking for legit threads to be deleted is even worse than posting a stupid thread. This thread is about men's and women's tennis (mainly about the quality of the WTA top 20 though - which I believe is relevant to a women's tennis forum).

Instead of being so immature and calling people idiots and saying threads are crap why not try to explain WHY, in your view, people are idiots and WHY threads are crap? It would contribute far more to this forum and make us, as a whole, look alot more mature and sensible.

#36 ·
For the reason they use to argue against equal pay, they are wrong. And I would tell them that. If they don't accept that then that's their problem. But what does that have to do with this thread anyway? You can't justify this fourm's immaturity by saying MTF is just as bad. Doesn't work like that.

Who cares if this thread "mocks" the WTA? Many of the regulars on this forum do that every day, calling players "scrubs" and "trash" and whatnot. Hey, at least the OP isn't a hypocrite.
In the ATP, for long time, there just 2 players dominating the top ranking, then 3 and now 4.

Outside of these 4 players, you would be hard pressed for casual fan to name the rest of the top 10.

So these arbitrary measures used to argue the superiority of ATP over WTA are just shallow and fluid

#40 ·
In the ATP, for long time, there just 2 players dominating the top ranking, then 3 and now 4.

Outside of these 4 players, you would be hard pressed for casual fan to name the rest of the top 10.

So these arbitrary measures used to argue the superiority of ATP over WTA are just shallow and fluid
Like most people around the world know who Sara Errani is? I doubt most people in the world outside of Italy don't know who Errani is. Come on, most of the ATP top 20 are famous compared to the WTA top 20 because their results are better.

#26 ·
I was a victim of ATP's depth watching Miami's final. I haven't seen something like this final in WTA.

There is no depth in ATP. In WTA there is at least 7-8 players who can easily win Slams. In ATP only 4 players are relevant enough to win slams.

#28 ·
I don't see the point to compare the status of ATP top 20 with what WTA currently has; we all know that outside the top 10 other players are inconsistent, and it lacks the new faces to fill in, plus the injury etc. You can argue that women, in some cases, are more mentally fragile than men, but really so do few men tennis players, although they are less scrutinized.

Look at the Miami final for example, can you say that the men's final is seriously better that women's: IMO, women tennis has been in the best shape since for a while.

#32 ·
Women tennis has only been saved because the three best players are healthy although Azarenka is injured at the moment. Women's tennis needs Victoria Azarenka badly. Serena Williams is only getting older eventually she will decline due to age. Sharapova is hanging in there but she is not as good as Serena or Azarenka.

The top 3 players have SAVED the WTA Tour, seeing Wozniacki DECLINE is good for women's tennis. I respect Victoria Azarenka a young player who got to number by winning a grand slam. Azarenka was ranked number one when she WON the Australian Open for a second time. Azarenka, Sharapova, and Serena are SAVING the WTA Tour from being a joke they are the elite standard.

However, the quality of the 11 to 20 women in tennis some of them are a joke like Karla Zakapalova or whatever her name is. How is this lady top 20? Carla Suarez Navarro how the hell did she get into the WTA Top 20? What big results did she have?

#35 ·
I see why you only have 15.65 credits.

#49 ·
Why people keep posting specific comparisons between players is beyond me. None of that stuff matters. All comparisons are impossible because there are too many different stats and players to compare in one way or another; with each comparison leading to contradictory conclusions.

They are different sports at the end of the day. One of them is clearly a higher standard but the subjective side of both can be debated forever and each of them have unique qualities which, by definition, aren't comparable to the other.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.