Tennis Forum banner

2011/12 Aussie ITF circuit

34K views 475 replies 29 participants last post by  TS 
#1 · (Edited)
The end-of-year Aussie ITFs aren't far off now, starting in Alice Springs on Sep 5.

The entry list is out and although it'll change a bit before the tournament starts, some interesting things to note:

Jess Moore and Marija Mirkovic are early withdrawals. No sign of Sophie Letcher :sad: Monika Wejnert and Jade Hopper are still nowhere to be seen. And no Shannon Golds either :sad:

Aussie girls that are on the list include Sally Peers, Casey, Liv, Tammi P, Bojana, Izzy, Sophie F, Dani D, Monique plus lots of scrubs.

No Ashleigh Barty but my fave 2 NT players are on the list: Kassandra Dunser (who's been injured for a lot of this year) and Tarlina Tipungwuti, who's now in the top 100 in Australia after being unranked at the start of the year and is being coached by Alun Jones :)

#254 ·
Plus Boj is a total unknown quantity against Top 100 or Top 150 players. At least Sally has shown she has the potential to win at that level. Seriously, Bojana looks like she'd snap like a twig. I think her mental strength is her main weapon. I fear that top players would wipe her off the court (as Casey did the other week). But regardless, I'm so pleased with how she's doing! :cheer:

#256 ·
She's quite small and skinny but hits the ball very nicely. She played lots of nice deep balls when I saw her play and was consistent and mentally strong (which was a nice change from so many other flaky Aussie girls out there). She has a good all round game but not really a power game. Still, who knows where she'll end up - she's been a real surprise this year.

#260 ·
Bojana has been playing well but let's not get ahead of ourselves. If she was 20 then she'd probably get a main draw wildcard. But she's 24 and unproven beyond this level and an unknown quantity really. Unless she goes on a tear and gets up to around 200 then I'd be happy for her to play qualifying.

#263 ·
For Bobusic to get a main draw wildcard she would need to win the playoff, there is no other way IMO.

As for Peers, I don't think she has done enough to warrant a main draw wildcard...and as such I would be happy if they gave it to an international player and Peers had to play qualifying (but we know that won't happen).

Disappointing loss for Bella against Bobusic - expected her to win that.

Well done Liv :) Aside from Casey, she has been very consistent and performed well at the 25k's. Has all but guaranteed herself a spot in the main draw already!

#266 ·
Woo! Some exciting results today in Rd 1 matches:

Starr def. 5-Webley-Smith 6-3 2-2 ret.
8-Bobusic def. Keir 6-2 6-1
Hubacek def. Cappanolo 6-3 6-2
Woolcock def. Rafful 6-0 6-3 :eek:
Wlodarczak def. Tepper 6-0 6-0 :eek:
1-Sema def. Tredoux 6-2 3-6 6-1

Great effort by Tredoux to win a set! Well done to all the winners!

#283 ·
When Tredoux, Nancarrow, Balint, Baric and Kafedjiyska are the top 5 of a birth year, you know it's bad. The latter three will be lucky to get a ranking. Kafedjiyska could probably be ok if she put her mind to it, but when I say ok...I mean get a ranking. Very low standards for 1993 :lol:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.