Tennis Forum banner

Did Vika just admit she went to injury break, because of Stress?

14K views 179 replies 77 participants last post by  basset 
#1 ·
Omg :spit: you can take break from mental issues ? :O your number 1 .

#9 ·
Wow she did!!!! That is a cheap ass move!!!!!! Why aren't the commentators mentioning that??

#11 ·
Yes, a disgrace really and nobody can defend her here.

Even if it was obvious that's what she was doing she could have had the common courtesy to deny it. I mean first her money and ranking before health and now this. Does she not realise that women's tennis virtually accounts for all female sports and that as it's topped ranked she is highly representative of womens' sport. Get your act together.

#23 ·
Well it was definitely honest. Only a stressed out idiot could admit to a tactical timeout at 5-4, when she had already called the trainer on stand-by at 3-2 for a legit injury. I mean how stupid do you have to be to admit a strategic MTO in a post match interview? That points to severe stress and brain malfunction. :lol::lol:

#24 ·
Totally. This is a learning experience for Sloane, but a definite black eye for Vika. Brad Gilbert and Mary Joe Fernandez are heated.

THIS is the kinda thing Tsonga was referring to yesterday. A panic attack creating a 10 minute delay in the semis of a major? Only in the WTA.

#27 ·
Definitely lost some respect for Vika today...She openly admitted she took a timeout to breath and focus after a huge choke...I feel bad for Sloane, but the veterans are going to do this and you have to be ready...Serena did it yesterday too and other players do it as well...The Aussie crowd was not pleased at all and Vika is going to get a lot of shit for this...It makes Radwanska's and Sharapova's claims about her faking injuries seem more legitimate...Sucks for Sloane, but with more experience she will learn how to deal with these dirty tricksters...Unsportsmanlike behavior from Vika :(

#33 ·
Usually I say whatever to time-outs, they're part of the game and everyone should deal with it accordingly. But vanishing off court for 10 minutes to get treated for both rib AND knee, before your opponents serve, having missed several matchpoints, and then later saying it was for breathing problems? That's a steaming pile of bullshit.

#43 ·
It seems odd. I don't have an opinion on why she called for the treatment. But as someone who has suffered from panic attacks, it's not always obvious to people around you when you're panicking. You tend to try and hide it, until it's not possible anymore.

Also, panic attacks can feel like there's something dreadfully wrong with your body. People think they're having a heart attack, because the panic causes real physical symptoms (like how healthy people can still get out of breath.) From the perspective of the umpire, I imagine you can't really say "shut up about your chest pains and get on with it", in case the person is actually having a heart attack. :p

Still no opinion on whether she really had a panic attack, though.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.