Tennis Forum banner

Irina-Camelia Begu Cheering Thread!

257K views 5K replies 120 participants last post by  Nightcrawl3r 
#1 ·
I'm surprised there wasn't a thread for this promising Romanian, so I made one. Here it is:
Date of Birth: 26/08/1990
Birthplace: Bucharest, Romania
Residence: Bucharest, Romania
Current Singles Rank: 228(Career-High)
Current Doubles Rank: 358(Career-High)

Reactions: Shvedbarilescu
#2,280 ·
She is on the good track. Like this she will enter top 100 in an few month.

#2,288 ·
When Irina first dropped in the rankings, almost everyone was talking about 'going back to playing ITF's' like a big step backwards for her. While that's definitely true in terms of potential for earning points, I think this turned out to a good confidence booster for her. She is too good for these 25k's. It's just nice to see her finally playing like she believes it herself :).

#2,292 ·
25K Sao Paulo - Hebraica (BRA), F:

(2)Irina-Camelia Begu (ROU) d. (3/wc)Alexandra Panova (RUS) 75 46 64 :cheer:

Irina started bad today and was 1-4 after just 15 minutes. Somehow she managed to compose herself and came back to win the first one 75. The second set started just like the first one, with Panova breaking for a 3-0 lead, Irina came back to 3-all, only to lose the set 46 in the end. In the third they went head to head until the ninth game when Irina got the break she needed to win the final.

Irina seemed very passive, frustrated and bored today, if her left-right movement was mediocre, her back-forth movement was just awful (I can't remember if she won a point at the net today). The crowd didn't helped either, as they were all cheering for the Russian. Serving was also awful and only Panova's mistakes in the key moments made Irina a winner today.

I'm glad she won it though :)

#2,294 ·
Brazilians and their over the top love for Russians :unsure: Reminds me of last year's Florianopolis final.

Glad to see that, despite breazing through the draw, she was able to find some fight in her for the final. What a fantastic 2 weeks for Irina : 100 points, 10 matches won and hopefully a lot of confidence earned. May this be the beginning of a thunderous comeback.

#2,297 ·
Still inconsistent, but B3gu fortunately prevailed.

Glad to see that, despite breazing through the draw, she was able to find some fight in her for the final. What a fantastic 2 weeks for Irina : 100 points, 10 matches won and hopefully a lot of confidence earned. May this be the beginning of a thunderous comeback.
Newcomer of the year 2011
Comeback Player of the year 2014

What a career.

#2,303 ·
Congrats on both titles :bowdown:

#2,304 ·
Coached since 2010 by Cruciat as it looks like : http://www.gptcatennis.org/adrian-cruciat

And also by Artemon Apostu-Efremov (also Romanian) [the guy in green from Florianopolis] , since 2013's summer.

Full interview , here (RO) : http://doartenis.ro/2014/03/exclusi...cum-a-trecut-peste-coșmarul-sezonului-trecut/ (talks about her last year's injury especially . very interesting interview)

ENglish (Google Translate) : http://translate.google.com/transla...-trecut-peste-co%C8%99marul-sezonului-trecut/

#2,307 ·
Yes, although after some time, blaming everything on her shoulder sounded like a lame excuse, but it looks as if it bothered her throughout the year.
Of course, she will always struggle with her consistency, but without her serve, she is basically left with nothing on these days.

I'm confident to see her back close to the Top 50 this time next year. Her results during the weeks right after Wimbledon with numerous (clay court) MMs might be decisive in that regard.

#2,308 ·
50K+H Medellin (COL), MD:

(7)Florencia Molinero (ARG) v (Q)Maria Marfutina (RUS)
Beatriz Garcia-Vidagany (ESP) v Marina Shamayko (RUS)
Laura Pous-Tio (ESP) v (Q)Denise Muresan (USA)
(3)Irina-Camelia Begu (ROU) v Jasmina Tinjic (BIH)

Potential semifinal against Oprandi, but until that stage I think she should have everything under control. Good luck!

#2,309 ·
50.000$ +H Medellin

Irina Begu (fav. 3) def. Jasmina Tinjic (Bosnia Hețegovina) 6–0, 6–0

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.