Tennis Forum banner

Amazing Athletic Anca Barna !

13K views 196 replies 30 participants last post by  mk27 
#1 ·
OK, OK, I will think of a better title. ;)

Go Anca ! She has had an excellent start into the new season.

Auckland:

1st round - Adriana Serra Zanetti 6-3 7-6 (8)
2nd round - Vera Zvonareva 3-6 4-6

Canberra:

1st round - Martina Müller 3-6 6-4 7-6 (6)
2nd round - Magui Serna 6-7 (5) 5-7

Australian Open:

1st round - Francesca Schiavone 5-7 6-1 6-3
2nd round - Lisa Raymond 6-3 6-1
3rd round - Venus Williams 1-6 4-6

This will most definitely bring her a new career-high rank in the upcoming rankings. :D

Her next event will be either Tokyo or (more probable) Paris.

She has very little points to defend until Estoril in April. A good chance for Anca to reach her biggest aim right now - cracking the top 50. :)

And we won't forget to keep track of her younger sister Adriana. :)
After a rather disappointing year 2002, she is currently ranked no. 253. Hopefully she can come back to the top 200 again this year.
She will probably begin her season next week at one of the bigger European challengers. Good luck ! :)

See less See more
#181 ·
GoDominique said:
:eek: Really ???

Well - congrats Anca !!!!!!!!!!! :D

BTW, what do you mean with "what was well known"? :p
By that I was just saying, that I knew that before and some other people, but I was not sure, whether I was supposed to tell it the whole world, because her boyfriend was making a big secret thing of it.

Whole story came up in Durmersheim, a few weeks ago. Many people were asking around, what is up with Anca, nobody knew a thing. Then Adriana was playing there and Ancas boyfriend was there as well and he told Christine Sperling that Anca is pregnant in the 5th month already. And Miss Sperling, she is very "forward" and funny, approached Andrea Petkovic and me just a few minutes later to tell us the "big" news. But I was not sure, if it's something you should tell anyone, because there are so many player storys around sometimes, and it's private, so I was not like going here and tell everyone.

#185 ·
crazillo said:
It makes me sad somehow... I never liked Anca, I even disliked her, but there have been others who came back after giving birth and it is quite a sudden end of the career. She would have deserved a better "good-bye."
not in my opinion. she lost thousands of matches and tons of points before she stopped - i guess it's been the right time to start into a new life.

ANCA played two, three very good seasons - i'm still surprised how far she came. it's been a good career and being pregnant is a good reason to quit with professional tennis.

goodbye and good luck, ANCA! :)

#186 ·
Can't say I'm too surprised. :p

I'm still wondering though what the reason for her sudden slump in 2004 was.
She beat Maleeva and Martinez and then just kept losing all the time.

Okay, it was very very tough road all the the way to the top 50 so maybe she didn't have anything left. But it's just weird that it happened so soon after reaching a career high ranking. :(

Who knows, she might be playing again, she's only 28. ;)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.