Tennis Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Donna Vekic

464K views 5K replies 122 participants last post by  James 
#1 ·
I know it's very early for a thread, but time will tell. Judging by this article:

http://www.glas-slavonije.hr/vijest.asp?rub=6&ID_VIJESTI=119156

she could be really something. 13 y.o. and already in an IMG London Academy, made it to slam junior qualies in just a few months on the circuit etc. Hope she's a future star.

#779 ·
Donna is playing against Nina Bratchikova in the semis.

Bratchikova is # 135.She is much more experienced than Donna, she has a lot of big matches played in her career and it would be a big surprise if Donna win this one.Donna never played against top 200 player if my memory serves me well.

#784 ·
Wtf???? I don't even know what to say right now. Nina has been on tour for a long time now and plays wta events pretty regularly and Donna handled her easily. 25k final and, with this result, no one can say she had a cakewalk anymore...she deserved it :D

#785 ·
Yes, there were some people that were saying she had luck in the draw.Now she beat #1 seeded player,a player who didn't lose a single set so far in the tournament.

I hope she will have energy for the next week...Donna welcome to top 500!!!

#786 ·
Simply, absolutely, positively A.M.A.Z.I.N.G.!!! Huge congratulations to Donna and her team on this result, which is nothing short of spectacular:worship:

So top 500 is here, but not just that - looks like Donna could soon very well be one of 10 best ranked Croatian players (current #10 is at 434)! Also, I looked around a little and found an interesting bit of stats; seems that Donna will be only the fourth Croatian player ever (somebody correct me if I'm wrong) who finished the season during which she turned 15 y.o., ranked inside top 500. The other three being Majoli, Lucic and...drumrolls...Lisjak:D Of course, this doesn't have to mean a thing, but it's interesting to follow.

Good luck in the finals!

#791 ·
Without words! :speakles:
This out top all my expectations! :eek: Amazing win! BIG congrats! Enjoy final match! :cheer:

#794 ·
Welcome. :wavey:

#797 ·
Another important thing to point out - Donna came this far, this young, with virtually no wildcards! Sure, there was one for Zagreb 25k this year, and I think one for the same event last year, but other than that, she's doing it all on her own, which is another great thing about her path so far. So many players receive wildcards for important events, only to throw them away playing like headless chickens, and Donna is doing a great job catching up with them without any serious help (aside from that of her own camp, of course). But somehow I think the days of Donna getting her fair share of useful wildcards is not that far away;)

#798 ·
Really impressive so far from Donna. Just 15 y.o. and winning her matches so easily :yeah:

Just 5 games dropped against Klaffner who is now ranked around 300, but has been top 200 last year. And also the top seed Bratchikova (WTA: 135), who is an experienced ITF player, was able to win just 5 games :eek:

Always nice to see a youngster do so well :D Definitely will be following her. Interesting to see how she will develop :)

#801 ·
I think this question has already been asked in this thread, so you might read through the previous pages as well, but she is signed by a Lagardere management company so it would be my guess that she practices in their London facility. However, their website doesn't specify such facility, only the academies in Florida and Paris:)confused:). But it does mention Donna among "our athletes" under the letter V, together with Vesnina and Vandeweghe:D

Sorry, I wish I could've been of more help:)

#802 ·
Donna isn't based in London. She was preparing for 2 weeks in London - Dukes Meadows before she left for Nigeria.
Most of the time she works in Croatia and Slovenia (Rogla) and she doesn't work in USA like most of the players do.

#803 ·
I just realized just what an amazing match won-loss record Donna has in the pros in 2011: 26-4! That includes one tournament win (Chiswick) and three finals (Hvar, Westende and now Lagos). I wonder how many other players born in 1996 or even 1995 have been in that many finals?

Her 2011 doubles record is much weaker, 2-4, but those four wins include a tournament win (Westende).

Donna also has the distinction of never having lost a match in qualifiers.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.