Tennis Forum banner

Blast Encyclopedia of Female Tennis Players

655K views 6K replies 43 participants last post by  Peter2003 
#1 · (Edited)
Welcome to the Blast Encyclopedia of Female Tennis Players. While this is very much a work in progress, we intend to create an A to Z Encyclopedia of women who have played competitive tennis.

Finding players:

Players are listed from A to Z alphabetically by last name. Thus Daphne Akhurst will be listed alphabetically under "Akhurst".

Daphne also played under her married name of Cozens. Cozens will be redirected to look under "Akhurst".

Example of the entry for Akhurst:

AKHURST, Daphne Jessie (Australia) [22 April 1903-9 Jan 1933] [Mrs. Royston Stuckey Cozens, from 26 Feb 1930] [Active 1919-31]

Last Name, First and Middle names. (Country) [Date of Birth-Date of Death] [other identities] [Years active]

Finding more biographical details,links, and pictures:

Notice the underlined name here: AKHURST, Daphne Jessie. Clicking on the name will work as a hyperlink, and will take you to a fuller biography.

Please enjoy using this as we grow, and don't hesitate to contact us with corrections, suggestions, pictures, or new entries.

Finding names by letter:

[Aa-Al] [Am-Az]
[Ba-Bh]
[Bi-Bo] [Br-Bz]
[Ca-Ch]
[Ci-Co] [Cr-Cz]
[Da-Dn] [Do-Dq] [Dr-Dz]
[E]
[Fa-Fl]
[Fm-Fq] [Fr-Fz]
[Ga-Gl]
[Gm-Gz]
[H-Ha]
[Hb-He] [Hf-Hq]
[Hr-Hz]
[I]
[J]
[Ka-Kh] [Ki-Kz]
[La-Lh]
[Li-Lz]
[Ma]
[Mb-Mi] [Mj-Mz]
[N]
[O]
[Pa]
[Pb-Ph] [Pi-Pz]
[Q]
[Ra-Rg]
[Rh-Ri] [Rj-Rz]
[Sa]
[Sb-Sf] [Sg-Sl] [Sm-Ss] [St] [Su-Sz]
[Ta-Tn]
[To-Tz]

[U]
[Va] [Vb-Vz]
[Wa]
[Wb-Wh] [Wi] [Wj-Wz]
[X]
[Y]
[Z]

In memory of William "Rollo" Rollins (1965-2021), a tennis historian, our friend and co-worker.

See less See more
#725 ·
Which is her maiden name? :confused:

ESTHER ??
United States
Married Gerald "Jerry" Bartosh, before July 1929

She was Californian, and won Pacific Northwest Championships 1936 (RU '39), Wisconsin State Championships 1935, Utah State Championships 1938, Canadian Champs. 1936, RU Southern California Championships 1934, RU Tri-State Championships 1934, RU Colorado State Championships 1940, RU La Jolla Summer 1931, RU Washington State Championships 1936 '39

She often played the Mixed with her husband.

#729 ·
#735 ·
ESTHER ??
United States
Married Gerald "Jerry" Bartosh, before July 1929

She was Californian, and won Pacific Northwest Championships 1936 (RU '39), Wisconsin State Championships 1935, Utah State Championships 1938, Canadian Champs. 1936, RU Southern California Championships 1934, RU Tri-State Championships 1934, RU Colorado State Championships 1940, RU La Jolla Summer 1931, RU Washington State Championships 1936 '39

She often played the Mixed with her husband.
Maiden name is Hare. Will write more later.

#740 ·
Bartosch bio added (thanks for the Riggs tip LKK)
http://www.tennisforum.com/showpost.php?p=27090186&postcount=2450

Susan Butt added at:
http://www.tennisforum.com/showpost.php?p=25280434&postcount=327

All added in!

Thanks Mark, Jimbo, and you too LKK.
Here is some additional info:

Mrs. Bartosh didn't treat tennis seriously until she became a practicing M.D. - working for the city health department forced her to be on call or within easy reach of a phone for the bulk of her time. She explained: "Because of that I wasn't able to play golf as much as I had been and in looking about for some sort of recreation which would leave me constantly near a telephone - that situation led me to a tennis court."

#747 ·
She was Miss Rose Hofkin who married Mr. Cowan.
And then divorced.

HOFKIN, ROSE
United States
Born 26 October, 1911
Married Mr Cowan, circa 1938-soon divorced
Active in the 1930s.

A Philadelphian, she won the Huntington Valley Clay Court event in 1937 and 1938. Some later passenger lists give 1913 as her dare of birth, but this could simply be Rose fudging her year of birth; census records and early passenger lists confirm 1911.

I added Alida Neave to the bioas. Also, all of the contestants at Wimbledon in 1884 have entries I will be adding details to this week.

#750 ·
Thanks Rollo and LKK, for your info about Rose Hofkin and Alida Neave.
So Alice Neave is a mistake, isn't it?
Hi Jimbo-yes Alice was a mistake. I will be getting a window of time off in Julyt and will restart an effort to squeeze out more about South African events and tournaments.

Fixed Rose Hofkin's bio per LKK's dates.

And added nice entries for both Maude Watson (thanks to Mark's great effort in copying Alan Little's book) and Lilian Watson (including her exact dates of birth and death).

#752 ·
Florence S. Le Boutillier (or LeBoutillier )
United States
Born 1909 or 1910
Died 4 October 1994
Married Edward Warwick Pinkham, Jr (b 1911-), 1940
[Active 1928s-50s.]
http://www.mytrees.com/ancestry/New...ily/Florence-Le-Boutillier-pr001048-2833.html

In this site she seems married with Robert Pinkham and Edward Warwick Pinkham, Jr. :confused:
http://records.ancestry.com/Florence_S_Leboutillier_records.ashx?pid=19487769

RU in Hot Springs spring tournament 1937 '38 '39
Her younger sister Marjorie was a polo player:
http://kihm2.wordpress.com/2008/11/18/marjorie-leboutillier/

Florence is at left, with Catherine Kendig

Photograph Vintage advertisement Stock photography Recreation Games