Tennis Forum banner

Mirjana's 2013 Down Under swing

15K views 249 replies 26 participants last post by  ajmo! 
#1 ·
I thought it was time to migrate from Mirjana's "2012 American summer" thread...

#202 ·
Hopefully, Pav and Saf will feel a little self-conscious of the "upset bug" ... Seeded doubles girls are not immune from getting their butts kicked, as we have seen (except maybe for Venus and Serena, who will surely win it all, barring miracles or acts of voodoo performed against them).

Mirjana and Jelena are not favored, for sure. But as mentioned before this is her best shot at ~some~ return to a Grand Slam quarterfinal or semi "format". Her chances for that in singles are certainly escaping. (If you have an opening against big players in the first round of a major, you either take it or you don't ... the opportunities come only once a year in each Slam.) Still, given her desire to work hard and maybe find that "missing link" in her game, I totally believe Mirjana can reach at least one Grand Slam final-16 or win some WTA-level tournament, before she is done. In fact, I expect she will do at least one very significant result before she says a well-deserved sayonara.

So maybe she is not going to become a Top 20-30 "regular." Big deal. She can still win a WTA-level event in singles. But first she and JJ need to pounce on this dubs chance. Practicing together for a few days should help. Hope good things come to them.

#213 ·
just checked the score, afraid it was Miki who's injured.

sad for Jelena, but relieved it's not Miki who's injured :awww:

#216 ·
Jankovic looked like she was injured or just didn't want to play from the beginning. She was serving softballs and Lucic was a sitting duck at net. Lucic.s first serve was very good when it went in. Her volleying wasn't great but at least she was trying unlike Jankovic. I have a feeling Jelena just wanted to get out of Australia i.e. don't expect her to miss any singles action with an injury.

#218 ·
Not a big Jelena fan right now.

Of course, one cannot say definitively, but in my opinion this crap smacked of JJ "Diva Nonsense."

We all saw Miki very intense and determined. I understand that the dubs doesn't mean as much to JJ, but frankly any of us could see this meant a lot to Mirjana.

Whatever. I hope Jelena will somehow "survive" and hope Miki goes forward to sharp tennis this season.

But, as a longtime observer of the game, it looked to me like Jelena was hungover from a couple nights partying (which she can afford -- for NOW) and just didn't want to hang around town.

Fine, but she ought to have told Mirjana, who clearly came to PLAY.

#221 ·
Whatever the situation may be -- unfortunate.

Hope Mirjana works hard and shows what she can do in the Midland, Michigan $100K.

Looking at her this evening, she certainly is as fit as any woman on tour and her power is -- WOW.

Miki has her own unusual, unique power as a hitter. Guess that's one reason we like her.

Best of luck to a player who has already proved herself honorable.:wavey:

#225 ·
She really does have awesome power. There was at least one point where she overpowered Pavlychenkova, who is herself no weakling. I have watched a lot of her matches both livestream and in in person and I have yet to see her lose because she was overpowered. Even Sharapova didn't really overpower her, just she made a crapload of UEs that day.

#224 ·
You mean because they got W.O.? Hope it's not true because that rule would leave a lot of space for calculations at times.
And also if it is Mirjana just stayed in Australia 5-6 days longer(from her R1 doubles match), earned no points and played 3 games. :help:

#227 ·
Hey, I just thought I'd come here and let you know about the AO R1 match between Lucie and Mirjana...obviously I'm a Lucie fan so I was cheering for her and I watched the whole match, but I just thought I'd let you know Mirjana played really really well. It was actually one of the highest quality matches I saw the whole time I was in Melbourne. There was some insane hitting from both and some really big rallies, and Mirjana's backhand was actually more damaging than her forehand. The only reason Lucie won was because she was tougher on the big points...in the TB she barely missed, and she started hitting winners everywhere from 2-4 to 6-4. I dunno if you saw any match report but thought I'd let you know. You can ask me any questions about it if you like.

#228 ·
Wow great to hear and so nice from you to let us know. :) :yeah:
How Mirjana serve looked like and how high do you think she could go with this game she played against Lucie? :)

And, yes this are Mirjana's next 3 tournaments:
ITF Midland
WTA Memphis
WTA Florinapolis

#229 ·
She served well tbh, she was hitting corners and her 2nd serve which I thought would be more of a problem was good...because she was being really aggressive on it but barely double faulted until she did twice in the last game. I think the way she played in that match she could be a solid top 50 at worst if I'm honest, she was really playing well and it was such a high quality match. I've never seen so many balls just go over the net but still be so deep from both girls consistently in rallies.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.