Tennis Forum banner

Elise Tamaela knocked out and put on a drip by opponent's father

47K views 221 replies 119 participants last post by  davidmario 
#1 · (Edited)
#165 ·
I just did a quick google translate and this is what Karen said. She doesn't say anything about Elise punching her father (because it never happened!) although she admits he definitely punched her.

As I saw it, sat a group of people in the grandstands cheering a lot on my opponent. They irritated me a lot and I tried again and again to ask them to quiet down a bit. But they just laughed, she says to ekstrabladet.dk on a cell phone from Germany.

The last thing I remember is that one of the players provoking my father. He pushes him, and it's true that he came to respond in an unfortunate way. He gives her a blow, admits Barbat.
http://www.sporten.dk/tennis/karen-barbat-min-far-slog

#167 ·
Karen Barbat probably can't afford to start a life on her own, so she has to defend her father whatever actually happened in order to keep her standard of living. She's trying to put the Dutch camp and Tamaela in as bad position as she possibly can in her father's defence. I don't buy it though.

#170 ·
There were some posters who actually felt sorry for Karen, do you still feel that way?
Well, d'uh :weirdo: Obviously her father was not completely unprovoqued and she probably tells the story as it is. Dutch fans are definitely loud which has been seen at Aranxta Rus' matches. No matter what Mihai shouldn't have hit Elise, though. It's a horrible thing to do.

Karen is not to blame and I don't see how anyone can hate her or anything now. I don't think people realize how difficult it is to just push your father out of your life, even though he treats you badly. Families usually always stand up for each other and we wouldn't know the personal consequences for Karen if she chose to tell her father to get out of her life.

#176 ·
Things are getting ridiculous now. Mihai Barbat was just on the news in Denmark telling his side of the story:

According to Mihai Barbat, he called the Dutch spectators "bad chickens" because of them cheering Karen's mistakes which he viewed as disrespectful. They misconstrued this as a racist slur ("black chick"). Then Tamaela went up to him, yelling "Do you want to fight?" and hit him. As a reflex, he put up his hands to protect his face and must have accidentally hit her with his elbow, knocking her out in the process.

To me, it sounds like bullshit, but there you have it. Discuss.

#177 ·
I’d like to know how he managed to leave the scene / tournament / country?? :mad:

#184 ·
This is getting weirder and weirder every day... Mihai Barbat is pressing charges against Elise via the ITF, Elise just received an official email... Really wondering what that man is thinking? Does he want to save his access to tournaments or does he really think (in his own head?) that he's the one being a victim? There are (literally) a dozen of witnesses who all have seen (and some even testified at the police station, incl. the referee) what happened. The hospital has given an official statement of Elise being injured. Even Karen has confessed to the press that her father hit Elise.

If I was such a low life as he is, things would have gotten out of hand right now. But he's lucky that we want to solve this in a decent way: in court if it's necessary. No need to get all physical like he did.

Just can't express how I feel right now... :rolleyes: This must be one of the strangest weeks in my life, let alone Elise's... It's an upside down world...

#195 ·
Here's my translation of Karen Barbat's blog entry. She tends to write long sentences so my translation reflects that and that may make her words hard to understand at times. That's because it was hard to make sense of in Danish as well ;)

I don't want to write about this

I don't want to write about this but I have to. I can no longer watch how guilty people try to act innocent or how the media makes up stories about how a crazy psycho father beats up a random tennis player. Or how I am more or less either an accomplice or a victim - and how my words to Ekstrabladet have been misconstrued, that I have said that my father beat up a tennis player, in the hopes of calming down the situation and tell what really happened. I have said and meant that he may have reacted unfortunately in self-defence and that it was the girl who went up to him and started yelling and beating him.

Both my father and I are very sorry about all of this, both on behalf of the girl who was hurt, the others who were present, the tournament, ITF and not least my father – who has been given the label of being a villain. My father is not a psycho and everything but violent. He has been with me on the tour for many years and has always had a good relationship with the players and has been nice and always speaks well with people and coaches at the tournaments. I am sorry that such a situation had such an unfortunate outcome - and has been misconstrued in such a way. I cannot control what people do outside the court and the unfortunate and sad way this tennis match ended or the stories that the media and journalists made up but I can only move on and continue working towards my goals. Therefore I hope that those people who follow this case and read my words here get to know the truth. My only part in this case is that I played a match and was present and witnessed the episode which happened at the sidelines. What is most unfortunate is that I was punished and that the supervisor had to disqualify me afterwards due to the rules. There was no police and certainly no police hunt after the episode as some people have made up. I also went over to talk to the group which had participated in the conflict and the girl who was involved. Afterwards dad and I quietly left the club and went home the next day.

I hope that I have put an end to all the misconceptions and will try to forget this and put the case behind me - and continue to play tennis at full speed and look forward to go on with my little brother Alex to play some tournaments in Germany in the next couple of weeks.
http://www.tennissporten.dk/pages/posts/jeg-har-ikke-lyst-til-at-skrive-om-det-her-4097.php

#198 ·
I'm not buying Barbat's story one bit :fiery:

#202 ·
It's just crazy that they are pressing charges against Elise and saying that Elise hit him first :lol: So many witnesses confirmed that mr. Barbat started hitting first, Elise didn't had a chance.
Idiots :eek:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.