Tennis Forum banner

The Federer connection. You are not gonna believe this....

12K views 32 replies 10 participants last post by  shibi 
#1 · (Edited)
I posted an opinion-piece by a coach from tennis-one.com a while ago. This is what he said:
Similarly, at the Bank of the West tournament in Stanford, watching both the matches and the practice courts, I observe effort, I hear unimaginable grunting, I note players warming up around the practice courts with a jogging routine that appears more plodding than gliding, and all the time I am looking for grace, for fluidity, for the real thing.

Well enough about where I am coming from – I have watched Sania Mirza both in a qualifying match, and then in the first round of the main draw. She plays with uncanny precision, but without a trace of effort. She hits with disguise, she brings it to the opponent, but somehow without the customary grunting – I think Sania has the tools to go quite far in the women’s game, to my eye she is the next “real thing.”

To my eye, Sania plays with just this type of pinpoint offense, with equal parts disguise and economy. One of her opponent’s coaches has termed her style “first strike tennis” but I would add first strike with unusual accuracy, without a trace of effort, and with disguise that I more associate with the maestro Federer. Watch this young player - she is on the way up!

This was written by a fellow-poster a while ago for which he recieved much ridicule it must be said :

All I can say for sure is that Sania has the potential to be entertaining in the same way that Federer is today. She's just that special.

Now take a look at this. Its incredible....

http://images.picsearch.com/is?8432028796220

Any questions? :cool:
I made a post in the steffi graf thread a while ago, about how exceptional muscular co-ordination, and balance was the basis for the wrist-snap that makes sania, roger, and steffi's forehand's special. You'll understand why i've posted some of these pictures. There's clearly something similiar in the way that they both maintain their centre of balance.

BTW' i'd appreciate it if y'all don't rush to post this on GM or something. The board will crash. Save it for when she starts to figure out what to do with that forehand. ;)

See less See more
#27 ·
tennisrox said:
Precisely. It has a LONG way to go. I'm sure you have never experienced a moment of thoughtlesness in your life, and having never experienced its immense power you think you know what is possible and what is not. .
Just think from my standpoint

1. Your record in the past of being loose in facts and often making your own assumptions/speculations a base for assertions. They are hardly substitute for hard facts or complete information. So does it look like the same thing is being continued in a different form here? do i have any reason to believe otherwise?

2. Your strategic insight. I felt i was better than you in this aspect than you though you can technically talk a lot more about tennis and my formal training in this sport is close to zip . So i don't trust the strategic significance of your observations. Infact I feel you some way to go.
This means while i can understand some of the dramatic improvements you atribute to meditation, i don't trust the tall claims like you have understood how geniuses work. That's too complex an issue for even great startegic minds.

#28 ·
That's really well observed tennisrox. She does have a phenomenal forehand and perhaps the likeness to that of federer's style is a primary reason as to why. The wrist position, balance etc. everything seems to just co-ordinate.

#30 · (Edited)
Hey ppl
Its been more than a year since I last posted on this forum. I haven't really watched much tennis lately (except for the recent beatings federer has taken. And I never miss his duels with Rafa!), but i've been playing tennis everyday, and i've learned more about myself, life, and the mind than I ever imagined I could from the simple act of hitting a ball.

Well I do believe I have finally unlocked Federer's secret, but Federer himself has fallen tantalisingly short of attaining absolute perfection as a tennis player. The secret is not in playing with his subconcious mind, as I said a year-and-a-half ago. You have to leave the subconcious way behind. In fact, funnily enough the only reason he can play as well as he can, is because of Mirka. Not that Mirka has anything to do with his shots, but his relationship with her is what enables him to access the state of mind that produces magic ie-not the mind at all, but spirit. He is truly god's gift to tennis. However, I believe that he may just lose that gift, because there is one thing that can block genius in the best of us, and that is the emotions of the ego. Federer's biggest weakness is his anger, and he never truly learned to control it, he just blocked it. Thats a very primitive method that most ppl use to control emotions, but such a state of mind can only be stabilised by a stable relationship.

This is where Sania Mirza is different. She is a player in the same mould as Roger federer, but she never blocked her emotions, and just lets them go on the court. That is what makes her truly special. If I deconstructed the exact nature of Sania's psyche we would be here for the next year, but suffice to say that she does not need an ordinary coach. What a coach teaches her on court will be of no use to her. The knowledge is already inside her. She is emotionally mature beyond her years, whatever her game may look like. Once she attains full emotional and physical maturity, the mental block that is hampering her serve will dissolve, and she will end up with one of the best serves in the game. What she truly needs is a friend who understands her and loves her unconditionally during this time, because it is a truly difficult time. All her current injuries are caused by trying to play logically on court. Logic, and tactics itself flow from the spirit once the emotions are controlled.

Only a spiritual master can teach you how to truly control your emotions, not a coach and not the current defenition of psychologist.
A spiritual master is not someone who can walk on fire, or turn sand into gold, but a person who understands and is capable of the deepest and most powerful form of unconditional love. I have begun to understand all this because I spent a year discovering myself, and my emotions. I helped people with emotional problems, and discovered the nature of human relationships, and the immense healing powers of unconditional and spiritual love (not conditional).
What is special about sania is that she is not merely religous, but already deeply spiritual which is highly unusual in a person of her age. She already has all the properties of a spiritual master, but not an understanding of her own abilities, for which she needs a teacher of the mind.

I do believe that sania will meet her teacher pretty soon, and that person need not necessarily be a coach. Her true teacher lies within, but sometimes you need someone to show you that, as I myself did. I do believe that she will overcome her basic fear of love which is the cause of the mental block (and i'm sure any good psychologist will find its because of something fairly obvious which must have happened in her childhood), and when that happens she will become the greatest player the game has ever seen. I truly mean that. Steffi, Roger, Pete all of them had the potential to attain the abilities that Sania will attain, but sania will be the first player to ever achieve full mental maturity because her role in this world extends far beyond the tennis court.

Two years from now you will all begin to understand the true nature of the inner potential that lies inside every human being. Can the existence of God be proven scientifically? You bet!
Is there a solution to human suffering? The secret has been lying dormant in India for four thousand years, used by the few wise men who have realised that the mind is no more than an illusion.

Mark the date and time of this prediction. One more thing: you wanna hit that ball like sania, all you have to do is live in the present moment!!

#31 ·
Hey ppl
Its been more than a year since I last posted on this forum. I haven't really watched much tennis lately (except for the recent beatings federer has taken. And I never miss his duels with Rafa!), but i've been playing tennis everyday, and i've learned more about myself, life, and the mind than I ever imagined I could from the simple act of hitting a ball.

Well I do believe I have finally unlocked Federer's secret, but Federer himself has fallen tantalisingly short of attaining absolute perfection as a tennis player. The secret is not in playing with his subconcious mind, as I said a year-and-a-half ago. You have to leave the subconcious way behind. In fact, funnily enough the only reason he can play as well as he can, is because of Mirka. Not that Mirka has anything to do with his shots, but his relationship with her is what enables him to access the state of mind that produces magic ie-not the mind at all, but spirit. He is truly god's gift to tennis. However, I believe that he may just lose that gift, because there is one thing that can block genius in the best of us, and that is the emotions of the ego. Federer's biggest weakness is his anger, and he never truly learned to control it, he just blocked it. Thats a very primitive method that most ppl use to control emotions, but such a state of mind can only be stabilised by a stable relationship.

This is where Sania Mirza is different. She is a player in the same mould as Roger federer, but she never blocked her emotions, and just lets them go on the court. That is what makes her truly special. If I deconstructed the exact nature of Sania's psyche we would be here for the next year, but suffice to say that she does not need an ordinary coach. What a coach teaches her on court will be of no use to her. The knowledge is already inside her. She is emotionally mature beyond her years, whatever her game may look like. Once she attains full emotional and physical maturity, the mental block that is hampering her serve will dissolve, and she will end up with one of the best serves in the game. What she truly needs is a friend who understands her and loves her unconditionally during this time, because it is a truly difficult time. All her current injuries are caused by trying to play logically on court. Logic, and tactics itself flow from the spirit once the emotions are controlled.

Only a spiritual master can teach you how to truly control your emotions, not a coach and not the current defenition of psychologist.
A spiritual master is not someone who can walk on fire, or turn sand into gold, but a person who understands and is capable of the deepest and most powerful form of unconditional love. I have begun to understand all this because I spent a year discovering myself, and my emotions. I helped people with emotional problems, and discovered the nature of human relationships, and the immense healing powers of unconditional and spiritual love (not conditional).
What is special about sania is that she is not merely religous, but already deeply spiritual which is highly unusual in a person of her age. She already has all the properties of a spiritual master, but not an understanding of her own abilities, for which she needs a teacher of the mind.

I do believe that sania will meet her teacher pretty soon, and that person need not necessarily be a coach. Her true teacher lies within, but sometimes you need someone to show you that, as I myself did. I do believe that she will overcome her basic fear of love which is the cause of the mental block (and i'm sure any good psychologist will find its because of something fairly obvious which must have happened in her childhood), and when that happens she will become the greatest player the game has ever seen. I truly mean that. Steffi, Roger, Pete all of them had the potential to attain the abilities that Sania will attain, but sania will be the first player to ever achieve full mental maturity because her role in this world extends far beyond the tennis court.

Two years from now you will all begin to understand the true nature of the inner potential that lies inside every human being. Can the existence of God be proven scientifically? You bet!
Is there a solution to human suffering? The secret has been lying dormant in India for four thousand years, used by the few wise men who have realised that the mind is no more than an illusion.

Mark the date and time of this prediction. One more thing: you wanna hit that ball like sania, all you have to do is live in the present moment!!

#32 ·
I would like to welcome you. but Have you become a godman by now?

you may want to post your views.but you may want to consider where your audience lies and post wisely.

because if you are saying these things to the wrong audience, you are going to face ridicule again and will be risked seen as weird.

In this tennis forum, you are better off concentrating on tennis and leave the spiritual matters for similarly interested people elsewhere.

A few may be interested here but i don't think this is the right place either logically or practically.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.