Tennis Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

The Amazing and Remarkable Monica Niculescu (Cheering Thread)

264K views 5K replies 124 participants last post by  Michael! 
#1 · (Edited)
If anyone deserves a thread in the new Romanian Forum, it is this girl. Monica Niculescu is currently ranked 205 in the World but will be very close to her career high of 188 when the rankings after Wimbledon come out. She is not yet 20 years old and so she still has plenty of time to get that ranking up and become a fixture within the top 100.

Personally I for one hope very much that she does. Monica is an exceptional unique talent in the tennis world as anyone who has seen will attest. Almost certainly she has the most unusual game with the top 200 (okay she 205 right now but I'm quite sure she won't be out the top 200 again for a very long time).

Describing her playing style is not easy but I will try. Both her forehand and backhand are played sometimes with one hand and sometimes with two. When she hits with two hands it usually means she is going for more pace whereas when she hits with one hand it usually means she going for an offpace shot of some kind often with underspin. She hits some very strange slices that I really couldn't begin to describe. She is also an exceptional volleyer with amazing improvisational skills and has great touch on dropshots and a nice lob. Quite simply she has so many shots at her disposal that one never knows what is coming next. It must be very hard indeed to get any sort of rhythm against her. This is just one attempt to describe the strange unusual play of Monica Niculescu but it would certainly be fun to read other descriptions of her game within this thread.

Monica is a player who should have the support of everyone who loves Women's tennis but gets tired of loads of women with the same style just wacking the ball back to each other as hard as they can. For fans who love slice and touch shots, who prefer the artistry of Fabrice Santoro to the ball bashing of most of the modern game, Monica Niculescu is the girl for you.

Lets support her in this thread, because tennis will be so much richer with someone with her unique and special skills in the mix. :worship:

See less See more
#2,996 ·
Re: The Amazing and Remarkable Monica Niculescu

Niculescu - Peer :) . Easy AO R1.

Probably Lisicki for R2 :(

Monica was always going to draw a seed in one of the 1st two rounds. Lisicki is one of the best seeds she could have drawn. Firstly Lisicki is quite a good match up for Monica and indeed Monica does lead their H2H. Secondly, Lisicki hasn't been well and she tends to recover pretty slowly when she suffers one her periodic illnesses. I see a good opportunity for Monica making the at least the 3rd round here. :)

The draw could have been much much worse. I'm quite happy with this.

#2,998 ·

I can see Peer troubling her for the very same reasons Cabeza did. In all honesty I'm more 'scared' of R1 than I am of her possible R2 where a ballbasher will await her.

#3,000 ·

Btw, the Queen and her lackey Kookie are in another doubles final
It will be better for her to focus more on double. Any one knows how many double finals she won in past years?

#3,003 ·

Well if she wants to focus on doubles she needs a) to find a partner and STICK with them instead of changing every 2 weeks like she always does, b) to choose someone like Shvedova, Mladenovic or Groenefeld aka a tall girl with a booming serve and heavy groundstrokes.

#3,004 ·

Well if she wants to focus on doubles she needs a) to find a partner and STICK with them instead of changing every 2 weeks like she always does, b) to choose someone like Shvedova, Mladenovic or Groenefeld aka a tall girl with a booming serve and heavy groundstrokes.
Not necesary to have BBB team partner in double to be succesful.

#3,005 ·

The queen of double won another final Niculescu M. / Zakopalova K def. Raymond L. / Zhang S. 6-2, 6-7, 10-8

#3,023 ·

I think she has a chance against Lisicki. She has a decent record against her and Sabine is clearly the kind of player Monica gets good results against. Doesn't mean Monica will win for sure but I like her chances in this one more than if she was up against someone like Pennetta or Flipkens or someone like that.

Australian Open, Doubles Main Draw, R1:

Niculescu/Zakopalova - Begu/Cirstea

Epic.
Bad luck for Irina and Sorana. The Nicupalova express is going at full speed right now and it's not stopping in the early rounds. :)

#3,018 ·

Australian Open first round: M. Niculescu def. S. Peer - 6-4, 6-1 .. all the luck in next round!!

#3,026 ·

It was about time!

First GS win in 2 years :bowdown:
This.

I think she has a chance against Lisicki. She has a decent record against her and Sabine is clearly the kind of player Monica gets good results against. Doesn't mean Monica will win for sure but I like her chances in this one more than if she was up against someone like Pennetta or Flipkens or someone like that.
I also think Lisicki is theoretically a good match-up for her.
Monica need to go confident on court and torture Sabine. :)

#3,027 ·

Nice! First ever win over Shahar!

Monica is is 2-1 against Lisicki, and they are tied 1-all on hardcourt.

#3,028 ·

Good luck in your next match and win it!!

#3,030 ·

The match will be stream and i think that we can see her on Eurosport, too.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.