Tennis Forum banner

1998-2001 (Higuchi, Chen, Day, McKenzie, Desiatnikov, etc.) Support Thread

47K views 317 replies 27 participants last post by  Sobachka 
#1 ·
Instead of creating individual threads for the best of our next crop of players I thought it would be a good idea to have a thread to post the results of all of our girls born between '98 and '01. McCarthy was born in '97 but it is very late in December and she doesn't have a thread of her own.

Liu, Desiatnikov and Black (Hurricane) won't be playing ITFs for some time to come but we can still keep track of their USTA results.

#29 ·
Re: 1998-2001 (McCarthy, Higuchi, Bellis, Gordon, Liu, Desiatnikov, etc.) Support Thr

Angela Kulikov (USA) d. (8)Simone Alipieva (DEN) 60 60
(13)Emma Higuchi (USA) d. Jade Lewis (NZL) 62 60

No problems at all for these two. :yeah:

#33 ·
Re: 1998-2001 (McCarthy, Higuchi, Bellis, Gordon, Liu, Desiatnikov, etc.) Support Thr

All three playing in a G5 in Denmark this week. Gordon, as the top seed, lost in the third round but Higuchi and Kulikov both into the quarters again. :yeah:

Not sure what's going on with Michaela...

#34 ·

QF

Anastasiya Klymenko (UKR) d. (7)Emma Higuchi (USA) 61 62
(14)Angela Kulikov (USA) d. Jade Lewis (NZL) 61 63

Weird loss for Emma. Kulikov beat that girl quite easily last week. Bit of a disappointing trip overall for both her and Michaela. Nice work by Angela though! She will play Shoshyna who took out Gordon in the semis.

#38 ·

Yeah, Michaela seems to be really struggling these days. :hug:

Bellis, Desiatnikov, and Kulikov into the R16 of the 16s.

Emma unforunately lost today.

#39 ·

Michaela :sad: hopefully she can rebound at the next event

#40 ·

Kelly Chen, born 5/9/1999, has been rising quickly in the class of 2017 rankings (#34 to #9 in last year) and is now having a great run in Canadian ITF tournaments. They aren't particularly strong, but Sebov and Robillard-Millette are good prospects for Cananda and decent wins.

G5 Canadian Saville ITF U18
QQF: d. Abigail Heninger (CAN) 62 61
R1: d. Leshia Gadacz (CAN) 60 60
R2: d. Jena Cheng (CAN) 63 36 64
QF: d. Keren Rozen (ISR) 60 61
SF: d. Katherine Sebov (CAN) 62 Ret.
F: d. Charlotte Robillard-Millette (CAN) 64 75
Doubles
R1: d. Oliphant/Waschuk (CAN/CAN) 64 63
QF: d. Johanson/Rozen (CAN/ISR) 64 62
SF: d. Robillard-Millette/Sebov 57 64 12-10
F: d. Kopcalic/Wong 36 62 10-5

G4 Canadian U18 ITF World Ranking Event Vancouver
R1: d. Ashliegh Jacobs (CAN) 60 60
R2: d. Jade Hilton (CAN) 61 61
QF: v Sofia Wicker (MEX)
Doubles
R1: d. Da-Silva/Koke (CAN/CAN) 62 75
QF: d. Koplova/Shimizu (CZE/JPN) 67(2) 61 13-11
SF: v Johansen/Rozen (CAN/ISR)

#42 ·

G4 Canadian U18 ITF World Ranking Event Vancouver
R1: d. Ashliegh Jacobs (CAN) 60 60
R2: d. Jade Hilton (CAN) 61 61
QF: v Sofia Wicker (MEX)

Doubles
R1: d. Da-Silva/Koke (CAN/CAN) 62 75
QF: d. Koplova/Shimizu (CZE/JPN) 67(2) 61 13-11
SF: v Johansen/Rozen (CAN/ISR)
Kelly into finals of singles, only dropping 6 games en route.

QF: d. Sofia Wicker (MEX) 61 60
SF: d. Daniella Silva (CAN) 61 62
F: v Katherine Sebov (CAN)

#43 ·

Thanks juki. :yeah:

Claire Liu is the 14s National Clay Court Champion, winning 64 62 over Dominique Schaefer in the final. Also had a nice 60 62 win over Ryan Peus in the semis. In fact, she did not drop a set all week and the 64 set in the final was the hardest any of her opponents pushed her. Well done Claire!

Similarly, CiCi Bellis is the 16s National Clay Court Champ. ;) Very nice 75 61 win over Katerina Stewart in the final. CiCi also did not drop a set all week. Quite impressive for a 14-year old. I think CiCi could be our best prospect in quite a while. Wins virtually everything she enters.

#44 ·

Similarly, CiCi Bellis is the 16s National Clay Court Champ. ;) Very nice 75 61 win over Katerina Stewart in the final. CiCi also did not drop a set all week. Quite impressive for a 14-year old. I think CiCi could be our best prospect in quite a while. Wins virtually everything she enters.
So did Gabby Andrews at her age, AND she was beginning to make a mark on the ITF Junior circuit. I'm letting that be a cautionary tale, considering Gabby crashed out of the 18s Clay Court Champs in the first round and hasn't been relevant in singles for over a year now, sadly. Hoping CiCi keeps moving in the right direction, because she really does seem to have a ton of potential!

#45 ·

Bellis, Gordon, and Liu are representing the US at the World Junior Tennis Finals in the Czech Republic. They were drawn into a very tough group with Australia, Great Britain, and Italy.

Cruised to a win over Italy today with wins in singles from Bellis and Liu.

Claire Liu (USA) d. Tatiana Pieri (ITA) 63 60
CiCi Bellis (USA) d. Arianna Capogrosso (ITA) 60 61

Nice decision to put Liu in for Gordon. :) Much tougher matches the next two days however. We'll need CiCi to really anchor the team I think.

Also, quite a few of girls in this thread are playing the 16s USTA National Championships. And McCarthy is in the 18s. I'll post their results when more rounds have been completed.

#46 ·

Bellis/Gordon won the doubles rubber over the Italians yesterday to get the 3-0 sweep.

Today against GBR:

Michaela Gordon (USA) d. Katie Swan (GBR) 06 64 64
CiCi Bellis (USA) d. Anastasia Mikheeva (GBR) 62 62
Bellis/Liu (USA) vs. Axon/Swan (GBR)

Already clinched it 2-0. :) Looking good so far (although I'd still rather Michaela be on the bench) and CiCi continues to assert her dominance as the best 1999 girl in the world.

#48 ·

USA d. AUS 3-0
Claire Liu (USA) d. Seone Mendez (AUS) 63 36 64
CiCi Bellis (USA) d. Destanee Aiava (AUS) 64 75
Bellis/Gordon (USA) d. Fourlis/Mendez (AUS) 62 64

Nicely done girls. :) Into the semis.

#50 ·

They did it! Into the final!

USA d. CZE 2-1
Monica Kilnarova (CZE) d. Michaela Gordon (USA) 63 36 76(1)
CiCi Bellis (USA) d. Marketa Vondrousova (CZE) 64 62
Bellis/Liu (USA) d. Vondrousova/Slovakova (CZE) 67(2) 62 76(5) :worship:

Thank God CiCi is so clutch! It's gonna be extremely tough tomorrow against the Russians. Not much difference between Levashova and Zhuk, their two singles players. I don't see Gordon or Liu beating Zhuk and CiCi will have her toughest test of the week with Levashova. Hopefully they enjoy the experience and play their best.

#52 ·

USA upset the Russians in the final! :worship:

Claire Liu (USA) d. Sofya Zhuk (RUS) 26 64 63
CiCi Bellis (USA) d. Evgeniya Levashova (RUS) 61 62

Neither Claire or CiCi lost a match all week. Very impressive wins for both in the final but especially Claire. She seems to have improved a lot since Bolton and Les Petits As at the beginning of the year. Well done girls!

In USTA National Championships news, McCarthy scored a good win over Brady in the 18s and reached the R16 where she lost to Townsend.

Higuchi lost in R16 of 16s and Desiatnikov lost even earlier (let's not forget she is still 12). 1998 born Ena Shibahara will play Katerina Stewart in the final. Shibahara has had very minimal experience on the ITF circuit but she's currently #2 in her class and won the 16s ISC in April.

#55 ·

Thanks for posting!

Zhuk kinda blew that match. :lol: Had a point for 4-1 in the second set but double faulted. Then had 40-0 on her serve at *4-4 and 0-40 on Claire's serve at 4-5*.

First time I've seen full matches of Claire and CiCi. I like what I saw from Claire. I feel like hard courts are a much better surface for her but she competed well and I liked how she was constantly taking the ball early and looking to move forward.

What is there to say about CiCi? Her forehand is just too good. :lol: She was like a machine out there.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.