Tennis Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Return Winner: The Laura Robson support thread.

Tags
#sluts gif
465K views 5K replies 158 participants last post by  miffedmax 
#1 · (Edited)
Since the old thread has gone over the 5,000 post limit, I figure that it needs to be replaced by a shiny new one. So here it is.

Achievements Pre-injury:
  • Olympic mixed doubles silver medal (w/ Andy Murray)
  • Singles semi final - Palermo 2012
  • Grand Slam 4th round - US Open 2012, Wimbledon 2013
  • Defeated Kim Clijsters in her final singles match
  • Singles Final - Guangzhou 2012
  • WTA Newcomer of the year 2012

Achievements - Post Comeback:
  • Singles Championship: ITF 25,000 Landisville
  • Doubles Championship: ITF 25,000 Landisville (W/ Freya Christie)
  • Qualifier US Open 2016

#1,554 ·
#1,555 ·
Re: Laura Robson: The Silver Medal Years 2012-

They won't care. Converse is a recognisable enough brand in its own right that it really doesn't matter. Most people probably don't even know Converse is owned by Nike.
It doesn't matter what 'most people' think, it matters what ADIDAS thinks and at a guess wearing shoes by a competitor won't sit that well with them.

#1,556 ·

I doubt Adidas will care much either. Laura isn't contracted to advertise/wear Adidas products intended for anything other than playing tennis. Converses are aimed at a different market to the shoes Laura would wear on the court. Laura isn't going to sell less tennis shoes because she was papped wearing converses. The people who would go out and buy the tennis shoes worn by the British Number one aren't going to change their mind and get Converses instead if they're looking for something to play tennis in.

#1,557 ·

I doubt Adidas will care much either. Laura isn't contracted to advertise/wear Adidas products intended for anything other than playing tennis. Converses are aimed at a different market to the shoes Laura would wear on the court. Laura isn't going to sell less tennis shoes because she was papped wearing converses. The people who would go out and buy the tennis shoes worn by the British Number one aren't going to change their mind and get Converses instead if they're looking for something to play tennis in.
Are you privy to what is in the contract?

It is NOTHING to do with selling shoes, it is about wearing another brand which is owned by their most hated rival. I doubt Laura will be seen with them on again.

When Laura played with the red adidas shoes at the Olympics last year there was a huge amount of interest in the UK about them and it wasn't for tennis, it was because they looked good. I was even thinking of getting a pair but am iffy about the adidas quality.

#1,561 ·

Umm...:lol: Pretty sure Kotre's right here..clothing contracts are normally only for tennis related stuff, not everything offcourt (unless perhaps you're someone like Sharapova and even then...).
Agree with you here... if Laura was going around wearing a t-shirt with a massive 'JUST DO IT' slogan across the chest, they'd probably have a problem - but wearing Converse, which most people don't associate with Nike anyway, and as Kotre said isn't really a conflict of interest with her adidas sponsorship... I highly doubt this has even registered on adidas' radar.

#1,567 ·

Sure Laura won't let it go to her head, but probably a good thing she'll be heading to the US soon after yet more press attention when she went to Mahiki last night (see pics thread). Be good to get back to normality, less celebrity stuff.

#1,569 · (Edited)

I don't know what Stella McCartney is thinking... just awful. :facepalm:

Laura clearly hates the cut out part of the Top as she only wore it for her doubles match, she wore a Polo for her singles instead.

The capped sleeves does nothing for her figure, it looks really unflattering on her. She would look much better without sleeves.

<<< Like here, this was a great outfit. She needs more tops like these.

#1,571 ·

I don't mind sleeves (though it's nice to see her in some strappy stuff at least some of the time), but I think the US top is too 'blocky', makes her look solid/chunky which she isn't. The polo shirt was uninspiring but did look classic on her. Only plus is at least it's a bit tighter...Laura's had a lot of loose stuff this year (clay panda outfit).

#1,572 · (Edited)

Temperatures in August & Sept will regularly be in the 80's and the humidity is much higher than the UK.

When it is hot & sweaty it is refreshing to get some fresh air onto the upper chest area. They may not be the latest fashion statement but even with the covered shoulders at least a polo lets some of the heat out at the front. In a sport clothing designer's brief, what percentage is driven by functionality rather than making a fashion statement?

There is only so much materials such as Coolmax can do so I expect to see Laura hooking her finger into the neckline and blowing cooling air in regularly.

#1,575 ·

God her outfit is fugly.

80s glam rock mesh top with a sports bra underneath? Why don't they go all the way and make it asymmetrical and have it hang off one shoulder. And that skirt... :tape:

#1,578 ·

OMG just had a horrible thought!

Laura, please please please do NOT hire Sears are your coach! :scared:
Miles is STAYING ;) I'm sure. Laura and he has so much chemistry, things are going well..

Laura wouldn't even think of going near Nigel Sears.

Ps - Sean you need to update your avatar and sig! He has Wimby now :D

#1,587 ·

@laurarobson5 My coach describing an Avicii song, "it sounds like 6 ambulances driving past at once"
I guess it's official now. They are staying together. :p

They're doing a mini training block and hopefully working on some new things. Miles seems to understand Laura and they have great chemistry. Something Krajan didn't have with her, for him it was "tennis, tennis" he didn't seem too bothered about Laura on a personal level. Which contributed to her awful losses this year, she was so depressed around court. Looked like she didn't even want to play.

I'm really excited about the coming weeks. :)

#1,588 ·

I guess it's official now. They are staying together. :p

They're doing a mini training block and hopefully working on some new things. Miles seems to understand Laura and they have great chemistry. Something Krajan didn't have with her, for him it was "tennis, tennis" he didn't seem too bothered about Laura on a personal level. Which contributed to her awful losses this year, she was so depressed around court. Looked like she didn't even want to play.

I'm really excited about the coming weeks. :)
Not sure that can be read as being any more official than before...what else is she supposed to call him? 'My temporary-with-a-view-to-a-long-term-appointment coach'? I like Miles though, so would be totally behind him sticking around.

Seen news (via twitter) Laura's supposed to be going for a training camp in Vegas with Sven and the Adidas team along with Caro, Ana, Puig and Cirstea. So guess she's still working with them as well as Miles...

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.