Tennis Forum banner

??

• yes

Votes: 70 68.6%
  • no

Votes: 32 31.4%

is USO the least entertaining slam of 2013?

7K views 80 replies 62 participants last post by  DemWilliamsGulls 
#1 · (Edited)
after a day none of SF threads made it to 200 posts :tape: the only QF that was somehow discussed was a double bagel...

i'm not asking is it the worst slam, just doesn't it seem the most dull? wimbledon had lots of upsets and a new winner, FO and AO were both miles ahead.

#2 ·
2013 has been an underwhelming year in general not just US Open, 2011 was all about the new slam champs, 2012 was all about serena's comeback.

this year is just a bit meh.

edit: 2010 was all about the Empress' last true show of form before tanking the whole year for doubles '13.

#3 ·
Results from QF and SF:
64 67 62
60 60
64 61
62 63
60 63
64 62

the final set never went further than 63, only one somewhat leveled match, could it be any worse? Vika and Serena are probably paid now by WTA to play an entertaining 3 setter.

#7 · (Edited)
All the slams this year have been underwhelming.
Wimbledon probably got the most attention because of all the seeds flopping, everyone falling over, Serena being beat by Lisicki and Marion coming out of nowhere and snatching a win. AO was known more for it's injuries :lol: and Maria's double bagels. RG had Sveta/Rena Maria/Vika and USO has had flops and uninteresting matches. IMO the most dramatic was Vee/Zheng and Vika/Ajde. Only a three setter final will save the USO but in terms of drama I'd say

Wimbledon > RG > AO > USO

And trust Maria to always be on Sam L's mind ↓

#9 ·
Hard to say, but I'm personally disappointed by the fact Serena and Vika weren't more challenged than that.

The attitude of Alizé Cornet winning the first set against Vika remains one of the best moments to me. She may not be a Top 10 player, but certainly has a Top 3 fighting spirit. Found her first serves on crucial points in Serena fashion. Now that was entertaining. Too bad she didn't win the match. There was like a difference of size somehow. I would enjoy a lot to see her doing better and better in the future, if no injury occurs. She's a treat.

#21 ·
It's been an underwhelming, damp squid of a tournament really.
Um, all squids live in the water, so they're all damp.

The idiom you're looking for is "damp squib" - a kind of firecracker that will not explode if it gets wet.

Reactions: Hanan Ubis
#11 ·
AO is MILES ahead in entertainment.
With everything that happened in that...

US Open has been mediocre so here's hoping a final will slightly redeem it.

#13 ·
USO used to have entertaining matches up until around 2007 (apart from Sveta -v- Chak), but since then it seems to have gone downhill.

The AO for me is the most entertaining; maybe because I've been starved of tennis for a while due to the off season :lol:

There are always so many entertaining matches - WTA and ATP. Everyone seems quite keen and energised.

#19 ·
I don't know - I haven't been able to watch a single match :eek: but it can't be worse than Wimbledon so I voted no.

#23 ·
I'm sure we get these sorts of threads on GM during every Grand Slam. The US Open is my least favourite Grand Slam but even so, I've probably seen more good matches here than I have at the other GSs but that could be down to the fact I've had more spare time to watch compared to the other GSs...

#27 ·
This year, yes. I'd say Wimbledon was the most exciting this year just for the unpredictability, but really, this hasn't been the most interesting year for Slams.

Serena winning the French again was also a good story

:shrug:

#30 ·
Yep. And it's looking like it's leading to a lame final. I really hope not, but Vika is barely scraping by and Serena isn't totally on.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.