Tennis Forum banner

Can Serena break the record and stay undefeated the entire season 2003?

• Yes she can. She´s the queen of courts at the moment

Votes: 4 7.7%
  • No, are you kidding me? She´ll lose one match for sure

Votes: 36 69.2%
  • I don´t have a clue. Hard to say. Let´s wait and see.

Votes: 12 23.1%

Will Serena break the record?

849 views 18 replies 18 participants last post by  Cariaoke 
#1 ·
Records are made to be broken. And as you all know, Serena wants to break the record, by staying undefeated this year. No one managed to stay undefeated in one calendar-year in tennis history. Who will spoil the party? Venus? Lindsay? Jenny? Or will Serena succeed?

#4 ·
ferrero said:
Hopefully not :p

In order for the record to be meaningful, it would have to be based on a minimum number of events played. Supposed someone plays and wins a tune-up tournament before the Austrailian Open in January and then gets injured and NEVER playes for the rest of the year. Techninically, that player would finish the year UNDEFEATED. So for this feat to me meaningful, what would be the minimum number of tournaments that would be required? Should it be 17, since that is the number cited by the tour as being a "full" season? And what if Serena plays "only" 13 tournaments and goes 13-0, would that feat surpasses Navratilova who I believed played a "full" season and lost 1 match in the early 80's?

Thoughts anyone?

#5 ·
calabar said:
In order for the record to be meaningful, it would have to be based on a minimum number of events played. Supposed someone plays and wins a tune-up tournament before the Austrailian Open in January and then gets injured and NEVER playes for the rest of the year. Techninically, that player would finish the year UNDEFEATED. So for this feat to me meaningful, what would be the minimum number of tournaments that would be required? Should it be 17, since that is the number cited by the tour as being a "full" season? And what if Serena plays "only" 13 tournaments and goes 13-0, would that feat surpasses Navratilova who I believed played a "full" season and lost 1 match in the early 80's?

Thoughts anyone?
This is an interesting point. :p

#6 ·
I say if Serena wins all the slams, and about 10 other tournaments, that would definately surpass Martina's record. (she lost at least two matches though, it wasn't only one:eek: ) When Martina was playing, it was common knowledge that the tournament really didn't start until the semi-finals as there were a whole bunch of no names filling in the first couple of rounds. Today, however, the caliber of players Martina was facing in a tier two semi or even final, appear in Serena's round of 32, Round of 16, and Quarter Finals, wheras she has to face two players of the same caliber as Martina's finalists- one in the semis, and then the finalist herself. Since the depth has gotten sooooo much greater, Serena would be mad to try and play 17 events. It would be a miracle if she could play all her matches without getting injured. (remember too that she does more running than the Serve and Volleying Martina) I say that if she goes undefeated in all 14 of her events, that would be an absolutely amazing accomplishment.

#9 ·
It's not impossible. The odds are against it though.

The real danger point is on the clay of course. Even on other surfaces the odds are she'll have an off day combined with someone else's good day. If she dominates the year I's still expect her to drop at least 2 or 3 matches.

If she manages it Serena would be the first undefeated woman (in a year) since 1940 :worship:

#10 ·
Serena is the only player that has the ability to do it, but if she doesn't then I hope that it's Venus gets the win over her.

#11 ·
It would be interesting if she COULD it. Then again, it's almost necessary for her to do so. If she were to DEFEND all of her titles, it would be an historical accomplishment as well.

#12 ·
it all depends on how many tournaments she plays. if she keeps on being selfish and plays no more than 12/13 tournaments, then yes because obviously the less you play, the more chances you won't be defeated. but i wouild say it's 100% guaranteed that she WILL lose 1 match, and maybe even more. i think she'll lose the most of her matches on clay, and a few on her beloved hardcourt.

#16 ·
Naldo said:
it all depends on how many tournaments she plays. if she keeps on being selfish and plays no more than 12/13 tournaments, then yes because obviously the less you play, the more chances you won't be defeated. but i wouild say it's 100% guaranteed that she WILL lose 1 match, and maybe even more. i think she'll lose the most of her matches on clay, and a few on her beloved hardcourt.
How is it selfish to play 13 tournaments? Her not playing gives other players a chance to win since she seems to win the majority of tournaments she plays. There are no rules that state how many tournaments she can play or not play. what does that mean in regards to jelena and her 30 tournaments?

#17 ·
Lets hope she doesnt make the goal....especially if it means beating Venus in slam finals...luv ya Rena, but their is no way I'm going to support you going undefeated at the expense of my Vee!

#18 ·
If Serena plays 17 tournaments her point total could be well over 10,000!!! :eek: She doesn't need to play more than 13 to be #1. And since she usually wins ,or at least goes deep in every tournament,she is really playing as much, if not more than the the rest of the tour.

#19 ·
It is not impossible but highly unlikely. That's why I love Ree; she sets unrealistic goals for herself but she managed to reach the one she made last year of winning all three grand slams AND the Serena Slam goal she made towards the end of the year. I'm rooting for ya! :D

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.