Tennis Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Danish Delight - Caroline Wozniacki thread - vol 5

355K views 5K replies 85 participants last post by  James 
#1 ·
The last volume has passed 5000 posts, time to start a new one. It's not the most positive of times with Caro just losing the #1 ranking and firing her coach, but while there isn't much we can do about that we can at least try to keep a civil tone here, even if we're somewhat frustrated about the way Caro's career is going right now. Ok?

Volume 4
Volume 3
Volume 2
Volume 1

See less See more
#4,567 ·
If it's true that the courts are superfast, then it's the real proof for how developed is her aggressive game. But we can't get to know it until we see it. Bali was indeed the fastest surface of the year, but who knows about this sofia?
anw the group is quite tough, she'll need to be focused from her very first match.

#4,572 · (Edited)
The court surface falls under the Itf classification of medium fast (4 on a scale of 1 to 5 with 3 being medium pace).

I'm a bit concerned as I read a comment from Caro that the surface/conditions were a bit too fast. Caro's timing on her ground strokes could be thrown off and camping out well behind the baseline is a bad idea. Her return of serve also tends to struggle on faster surfaces.

I think Tokyo is the fastest tournament Caro's won followed by Beijing. I'm not sure what their Itf classification is or was though.

#4,573 ·
Tricky draw for Caro. :( It would be nice to end the season on a high note. :)

Good luck Caro. :)

#4,575 ·
Well all the courts can't be slow as molasses. :p

#4,583 ·
I'm not very good with the whole Round Robin thing, but I guess that Caroline is now assured of reaching the SF with her win against Vinci? No one but her can win their 3 matches; Hantuchova, Su-Wei and Vinci can still win 2 matches, but Caroline already has a victory against the young Asian and Vinci, which place her on top of these 2 players (?).

#4,584 ·
You are right, she's through to the SF. If I'm not wrong, the only way she doesn't finish first of her group is if she loses tomorrow and Daniela also beats Hsieh. In that case she'd be 2nd of her group. Vinci & Hsieh can still qualify if they win their matches but can not surpass Caroline since they both lost against Caro.

#4,586 ·
Thanks for the update. I've just got confirmation of her SF on Sofia's official site :bounce:

Caro about the possibility of becoming #10 again:
"It would be great, but to be honest it's not really the big goal for me here, I'm just very pleased about the way I'm playing. I'm really enjoying myself out there. I feel like I've found my game again and I'm playing the way I want to. And right now I'm just thinking of winning this tournament."
Normally I don't believe much of the PR scripts she gives to the medias but, for once, it sounds genuine and I want to believe her.

"I'm really enjoying myself out there": that's the most important thing actually. I'm really glad about that :bigclap:

"I feel like I've found my game again and I'm playing the way I want to" :yeah:

"And right now I'm just thinking of winning this tournament" Let's do it :bounce:

#4,585 ·
Caro about the possibility of becoming #10 again:
"It would be great, but to be honest it's not really the big goal for me here, I'm just very pleased about the way I'm playing. I'm really enjoying myself out there. I feel like I've found my game again and I'm playing the way I want to. And right now I'm just thinking of winning this tournament."

#4,588 ·
I have sent my analysis to the tournament with the contact form at the official site. I linked to the above post but I don't expect a response before Wozniacki has probably qualified for certain by taking at least 6 games against Hantuchova. Actually, based on previous experiences with mailing tournaments with wrong data on their websites, I don't expect any reply or action at all.

#4,590 · (Edited)
They had a clock on the frontpage of the website which showed CET time instead of Sofia time. I send them a message about it, warning that people could miss watching matches because of it. They didn't reply but they removed the clock and put in ads instead.

#4,593 ·
The website clock was an hour behind real Sofia time, so it wasn't because they had forgotten to dial it back. If anything they had dialed it back an hour too much.

#4,594 ·
Matt Cronin@TennisReporters
Wozniacki confirms Johansson split: ‘Ive worked with dad, its worked well & cause Thomas has quite a few commitments next year & with...

...his family I decided 4 both of us just to work with my dad. I should never go away from game style that has given me success"

#4,599 ·
Matt Cronin@TennisReporters
Wozniacki confirms Johansson split: ‘Ive worked with dad, its worked well & cause Thomas has quite a few commitments next year & with...

...his family I decided 4 both of us just to work with my dad. I should never go away from game style that has given me success"
Glad to hear she's realised that.

#4,598 ·
When do Caro new Tennis Racquet VCORE Xi come out in store too buy, store like Tennisware or TennisExpress

#4,601 ·
Tomorrow's day off comes at a convenient time after today's marathon! :)

#4,603 ·
Is this right? From the wta site.

The Top 2 in Group Sredets are known - Petrova and Pironkova - but the order will be determined on Friday when they play each other (the winner will be No.1 and the other will be No.2). In the semifinals, which are on Saturday, Wozniacki plays the winner of Petrova and Pironkova while Vinci plays the loser.

Wouldn't Caro play the loser and Vinci the winner? Top 1 vs Top 2?

#4,604 ·
Yes, I send them an e-mail about it earlier.

#4,607 ·
Given her 2-2 H2H vs Vinci and 1-4 vs Caro,it might be wiser for Nadia to go for the win tomorrow even though she's locked in to the semis.If form holds,then Caro would face off with the local Bulgarian heroine in her Saturday match

#4,610 ·
No offense intended towards Bulgaria OR Bulgarians,but they don't have much of a well-known reputation with respect to tennis...so how did the fans treat Caroline today in her match vs. the local favorite??

#4,613 ·
So, the 2012 season is over for Caro. What can we say about it?
She started the season as #1 but with limited optimism on my part because of a lot of bad results in the last half of the prior season. The start of the season was acceptable with a QF run at AO but from February to September, the high points were few and far between, like beating Serena in Miami. The unquestionable low point was her loss against Begu in 1R at USO, her favorite slam. The end of the season was somewhat better with two titles and wins over Li and Stosur but also losses against Radwanska and Kerber, players she once could handle. The 18-3 finish has upped the season from catastrophic to just disappointing and ensures her return to top 10.
And what to expect for 2013? I think Caro has halted her slide down the rankings but I don't see many signs of her intending to really develop her game like for instance Aga has done. I expect her to get a title here and there but not any of the big ones and she'll likely spend most of the season ranked in the 7-12 range.

Some stats:
Caro finishes the season in top 10 fourth year in a row.
Caro wins 50 season matches or more fifth year in a row.

Matches won to date:
Caro: 348
Aga: 348
Vika: 348
Funny, huh!? :scratch:

#4,615 ·
So, the 2012 season is over for Caro. What can we say about it?....
:scratch:
The majors made this a bad year. Winning just 2 matches in the last 3 majors.
Right now, #1 and a slam final seem far away.
I think moderate goals is the way to think for next year.
If she can make the YEC as a starter & gets to 2 slam quarters, that would be better than 2012, and maybe thats a reachable improvement

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.